Exhaust Temperature

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Exhaust Temperature

Post by Angreal » Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm

I am planning to get my extractors coated with HPC but wasn't sure if anyone has had any dealings/experience with them.

My question is what sort of temperatures would I get from my extractors off a 1.8L NA (naturally aspirated)? Would the temperatures be less than 700 degrees, and would the standard coat be okay or would I need to get the extreme coat? Their website is located below.

http://www.hpcoatings.co.nz/ExhaustHeat ... #HiPerCoat

Thanks

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 am

I went with the Extreme but the engine bay on the TG has a lot less airflow than on an MX5. The reason I went with it was to try and keep the under bonnet temps down a bit.

I had it done about 4 years ago and it has lasted reasonably well apart from the collector under the car which has started flaking. This is partially due to the hammer it gets from stones on the Targa and also as a result of cracks that have developed in the header over the years and the need to grind off the coating to weld the cracks.

I don't know if I would bother doing it for a road car but may consider it if I was building another Targa car based on an MX. It is quite expensive to get done.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Fri May 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Your exhaust temperatures are not likely to exceed 700C under normal driving conditions, only during sustained track driving, and then probably only marginally.
I don't have any personal expericence of HPC coatings but those I know who have used it have been pleased.

mazline
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by mazline » Fri May 27, 2011 4:51 pm

I get rocker covers done with the stuff and have them come back out of cars we have bought a couple of years later and are always in mint condition
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 am

How often do you get treated rockers back? After seeing the finish on the extractors that just arrived this morning, I'm impressed with the job. I'd love to get the rockers cover and the intake manifold treated with HPC now.

All that's left is to replace the broken extractors

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm

The last one that came back was just luck,The owner stacked the car and work bought on Tender.
Here's a photo of how they come up.
Look even better when you do the inlet manifold as well with injector rail.
Attachments
81947920_full.jpg

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:57 pm

You're right. It does look good and I'd definitely be getting the injector rail and intake manifold done at the same time, along with the stainless intake pipes I have.
I get the feeling it'd set me back a fair amount to get it all done though, but the extractors I put in look really nice (hopefully they remain nice after a fair amount of heavy use).

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Some photo's would be good,Nice to see how they came up,Got a set of Maxium Headers i might have think about getting done

Euen

Post by Euen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Brownie, what size pipe is the collector on your Maxim Works? I acquired a set a few weeks ago (what a work of art!!!) but was quite surprised that the collector was only 2" OD, which is the same size as the standard exhaust.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm

I'll grab the camera tonight and try get some decent photos. On a side note, in order to get my wof I ended up getting my cat converter cut out as it was leaking exhaust and my first impression is that I like it out despite the slightly louder noise.

I will admit that I'm surprised that they were better than my previous wrapped extractors in terms of keeping the engine bay cooler, the hyper coat must be really good at keeping it cool since they say that you can hold the extractors after hard use.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Angreal wrote:I will admit that I'm surprised that they were better than my previous wrapped extractors in terms of keeping the engine bay cooler, the hyper coat must be really good at keeping it cool since they say that you can hold the extractors after hard use.
They say that, but who is willing to try out the theory :lol:

mazline

Post by mazline » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Euen,
4-2-1 and join in a 2"inch collector and i have the matching exhaust !!

Just got to get off my ass and fit it all.
Attachments
Maxim headers a.jpg
Maxim headers a.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 12279 times
na EXHAUST 1.jpg
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 am

Photos of my extractors post installation. Nice to know I managed to get a hold of some maxim extractors by chance and they seem to be sought after on the miata forums :D[/img]
Attachments
Copy of DSC01450.JPG
Extractors
Copy of DSC01450.JPG (42.53 KiB) Viewed 12241 times
Last edited by Angreal on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 am

I'd love to get my intake pipes and covers done with HPC but that'd cost a fortune which would be better spent elsewhere...
Attachments
Copy of DSC01448.JPG
Engine bay
Copy of DSC01448.JPG (44.67 KiB) Viewed 12238 times

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”