V8 Exhaust

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

V8 Exhaust

Post by Donovan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:29 pm

A quick request for information on all those of you that have put a v8 into your MX-5, just wondering what you did about the muffler at the back. Have you gone a 8 into 2 into 1 system, or running two separate rear mufflers at the back.

I am knocking around the idea of getting the following thrown in with the other gear that I am bringing from the US, but don't know if there is a better solution this side of the ditch (and hopefully cheaper)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dep ... %201990-97

(only looking at the rear muffler in the pic, not the whole system, rear is $499US and is 3")

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:57 am

Have a talk to Gavin at Al's Mufflers in Glenfield. Very helpful and very knowledgable. He can probably source all the bits you need locally without having to pay the freight from the US.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

V8 Exhaust

Post by jif » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 pm

On 19 December 2010 22:29, Donovan <horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz (horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
A quick request for information on all those of you that have put a v8 into ...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

ditto on the Al's muffler's recommendation - he's done nice work with both the mx5 and the v8.

Most (all?) v8's seem to have a dual outlet with an X or H crossover pipe halfway down so I'd probably stick to that, on mine it's a euro-style concealed turndown (stock) so it's definitely not aesthetics related !

... Perhaps its noise related ... a single 3" exit would prob be lighter but louder than say a dual 2" ..!

[Posted via external email]

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, have been in touch with them, and had a chat. They have given me guess-ta-mit of about $900 from the headers back (have got headers coming from the US, as they are heaps cheaper), so will go with Al's and drop the car off once the motor shoved in there.

2low2c
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by 2low2c » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:52 pm

just be careful what you bring in as things like headers are made for left hand drive cars and will not fit around the steering shaft on aright hand drive car so you would probably need to get some custom made here .

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Yeah, checked that out with the place I am getting them from, they do them for left and right hand drive, so hopefully be all good, otherwise I will be in the poo and out of pocket a bit as well.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”