air filter question

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

air filter question

Post by johngalt » Sat May 15, 2010 12:23 pm

:D ok guys. this has probably been asked a thousand times but......
if i want to change my stock airfilter to a pod filter. Can anyone tell me best to buy and why, what changes if any i can expect, is it worth it or am i just making my engine bay look cool :lol: . also i have the na8 is that different to the na6 filter. thousand thanks guys
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

air filter question

Post by jif » Sat May 15, 2010 2:00 pm

hi John

on it's own, not much performance benefit although it will make hoover-ish noises !  (and suck hot air most of the time)

works better with a timing bump and sports exhaust though :)

IIRC, the panel filter is the same between na6 and na8 , although the fitment for a pod filter is different  due to different ducting going into the airbox (rectangular vs round). It's the NA8 that you can put a pod filter on without an adapter.

http://autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_110680/article.html

HTH !

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat May 15, 2010 5:12 pm

From what i've been told a pod is better at high rpm where as the standard filter is more suited to normal driving giving a bit more low end torque.Whether its noticable i suppose only a dyno may reveal.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Sat May 15, 2010 9:21 pm

thanks for that. what about the normal airfilter are some better than others, I see on TM k&n replacement filters for sale and supposed to breathe better. Advertising mumbo jumbo ? :)
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 pm

i made a nice intake for our NA8 from Simota parts, but then i have been a NZ Simota distributor since 2002 so i have the bits to put together 8)

I have been told it goes really well for an Auto
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/garage.php?mo ... age_id=583

to fit a standard 77mm inlet filter to the NA8 AFM you are best to use a 70mm inlet reducer (which i have)

Unfortunatly Simota dont make a panel filter for the Series 1 MX-5, but our Simota High Flow panel filters retail at $50
the K&N prices are ridiculous for what they are. A freind of mine dynoed him group N Evo9 with a standard filter, then again with a K&N and lost 5%, thats $200 for -15hp!!
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

jif

air filter question

Post by jif » Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 pm

On 15 May 2010 21:21, johngalt <horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz (horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
thanks for that. what about the normal airfilter are some better than others, I see on TM k&n replacement filters for sale and supposed to breathe better. Advertising mumbo jumbo ? :)
half-truth perhaps ;) ... it also doesn't filter as well.  

If you look at the graph on that autospeed page, you'll see that you get more gains by removing the factory airbox and snorkel.  And , as WOT said, gains are mostly at the top end.  At least thats how it looks here!

cheers-

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 am

hmmm :? think i'll spend the money somewhere else. cheers
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 pm

John...a CAI is what you could use , such as the one I use on my 1.8(Jackson Racing) These utilize a panel filter, so you have a choice incl foam. The installation sheet specifically recommends the timing bump (14 degrees) be done at the same time, and the whole thing tends to work best with an exhaust upgrade...2.25" in your case, working from the rear foward, if you chsoose to do it in stages. Given some experimentation with cat deletes etc using the helpful guys at Magoos in ChCh central , I am pleased with the outcome...civilised but sport exhaust/intake sound. As with most naturally aspirated mods, the gains are modest but in this case noticeable. Ian :)
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Mon May 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I've installed a POD filter on mine...im not usually a fan of replacement filters (most simply trade some filtration ability with better flow) but it really depends on how well the standard airbox is designed. In the case of the NA8/6, they are a bit of a dog IMO. Air is drawn in from a tiny snorkel into the airbox which is placed right near the extractors, then gets sucked through the element, turns 90 degrees through the air flow meter and then travels right past the radiator into the intake.

Its not really possible to change the physical placement of the filter to bring it away from the extractors etc, but getting rid of that 90 degree turn by placing a pod filter (appropriately heat shielded) should yield some gains- Mine is simply placed on the air flow meter which is braced down using the standard bolt hole locations left after removing the airbox

mazline

Post by mazline » Mon May 17, 2010 1:10 pm

If you use a pod filter we do sell a heat shield that blocks the hot air from the exhaust.It does have a heat resistant backing on it to stop heat soak.
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Mon May 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Timmo wrote:I've installed a POD filter on mine...im not usually a fan of replacement filters (most simply trade some filtration ability with better flow) but it really depends on how well the standard airbox is designed. In the case of the NA8/6, they are a bit of a dog IMO. Air is drawn in from a tiny snorkel into the airbox which is placed right near the extractors, then gets sucked through the element, turns 90 degrees through the air flow meter and then travels right past the radiator into the intake.

Its not really possible to change the physical placement of the filter to bring it away from the extractors etc, but getting rid of that 90 degree turn by placing a pod filter (appropriately heat shielded) should yield some gains- Mine is simply placed on the air flow meter which is braced down using the standard bolt hole locations left after removing the airbox
Hey timmo can you post a photo of your set up? cheers
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Mon May 17, 2010 3:26 pm

mazline wrote:If you use a pod filter we do sell a heat shield that blocks the hot air from the exhaust.It does have a heat resistant backing on it to stop heat soak.
I'll pop in and have a look, I asked the question of legality on the park lights on trade me, so keen to have a look at those too. cheers
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

mazline

Post by mazline » Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 pm

Here's a couple of photos of our heatsheld.
Attachments
NA heatsheild a.jpg
NA heatsheild b.jpg
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”