Stainless Exhaust

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Stainless Exhaust

Post by brownie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Anybody out their running Jap spec stainless Exhaust system,Running from headers to tip ?.
I've finally got a system sorted and want to see if it is all there,Problem at work is we only see standard stuff,Anything from japan always has the cat piece gone ,The japs won't let us have them ,
I;ve got Headers,middle pipe and Muffler,Has anybody else got a similar setup that hasen't got a Cat in there as well ?
I've had the headers for awhile and just got the other 2 piece's in.
Attachments
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG (48.01 KiB) Viewed 7344 times

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 pm

I HOPE thats a heated (3 wire)oxygen sensor in there.

With the O2 sensor so far away from the head it wont be heating up as it should or maintaining temp at idle resulting in poor mixtures lumpy idle and poor fuel economy.

If you need to get a heated one they arent that expensive and are easy to wire in.

when i went turbo i datalogged my O2 in a similar location and at idle you could see the o2 sensor lose its mind at idle and the voltage was unstable due to it cooling down too much. a trip to pick a part and $10 later it was all sorted.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Never really thought about that,This is the way the headers came ,I've had these stashed long before i even got the car.
I'll probably them them on as is ,But will bear that in mind if it does run a bit doggy,We've got a good sparky over the road from work who will good as sorting this for me.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 pm

where would the cat normally be? i dont understand the problem? no cat, thats not illegal is it? no cat, better performance????
"What's the driving force behind blackbetty"........Satan :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm

blackbetty wrote:where would the cat normally be? i dont understand the problem? no cat, thats not illegal is it? no cat, better performance????
CAT normally sits just after the header. I suspect that the Japs hold on to the CATs as they are quite valuable for recycling.
I don't believe running without one is illegal, certainly not on an older car. Just depends how much you care about the environment. They will only inhibit performance if they get blocked up with crap.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 pm

meh cat or no cat itll still be better for the environment than what it takes to make the "green" prius.and disposing of the batteries one day.
"What's the driving force behind blackbetty"........Satan :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Blues Boy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Blues Boy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 pm

If you replace the cat with a straight pipe your exhaust will be significantly louder. Possibly too loud to get a wof if the rest of your exhaust is loud. I have a RSR header and an Autoexe exhaust and I think it would be too loud without the cat.
Dave

blackbetty
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by blackbetty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 am

dont you just chuck in a kobi(spelling unknown :lol: )

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”