Removing the exhaust

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

evmx5
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Removing the exhaust

Post by evmx5 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of help removing the exhaust including the exhaust manifold. I'm working on a 1998 MX5. So far I have removed the muffler and the main (longest) pipe. All I've got left is the manifold and the pipe section that bolts onto the manifold. I've remove 3 nuts from the flange between those sections and all of the nuts that bolt the manifold onto the engine. Is there anything else left to undo because I cant get those sections separated properly to be able to remove them from the car?? and I can't get far enuf under to have a real good look at whats going on.

Thanks,
Pete.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:16 pm

From memory, there may be a small brace that hooks across to one of the bell housing bolts.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

evmx5

Post by evmx5 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for the quick reply :D I'm going to take another look at it...

evmx5

Post by evmx5 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Got it sorted thanks Euan. There is a brace there, its attached onto the bellhousing with of the main bellhousing bolt and at the pipe its a 12mm bolt which hold a flange. The nuts seems to have been welded on the top side. Anyway it was probably the most rusted bolt of all the ones I had to undo so I left it over night with some CRC and got it undo tonight.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”