MX4000

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

MX4000

Post by Stevo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:21 pm

:?: MX4000. Tell me, did you fit the lexus into your car yourself? If so whats involved? Are you happy with the result and does it adversely affect the handling? :?: cheers stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

MX4000
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by MX4000 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi,

Yes fitted it a couple of years ago. Usual trimming of the chassis rails near the firewall and I made a sheetmetal sump. Height is an issue as the sump has to be super slim over the steering crossmember. Exhausts are just the log manifolds as the engine is large. An LS1 is 50 mm smaller in each direction!

Just used the auto bell housing with a plate adapter and W55 gearbox. Had to extend the lever housing back about 200 mm from memory.

Simplest way to do it now would be to rework the "K" crossmember for more room.

Used an RX7 diff but the ratio was too low so went with the Holden head. Plenty of info on swaps on US sites. They use the Ford independant head and axles. Some good kits available but the Kiwi $$ doesn't help.

Handling is still good. I got a 1:38 lap at Ruapuna on 225 tyres. Bit of understeer but it really depends on how you set the car up. Just spent today autocrossing it in a paddock near Rangiora. Plenty of sideways action!

Cheers

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”