Electric MX-5 Project

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

AutoTutorNZ
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by AutoTutorNZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:23 am

evmx5 wrote:Euen wrote:

Thanks Euen. That reminds me of another question I have about fly wheels. How...agressively..can a stock fly wheel be lightened.. or would it be better going for a after market fly wheel ? I'll be removing the ring gear since that is no longer required.

Pete.
Are you going to have a flywheel?

The EV's I have driven just have direct drive, you don't need a clutch, just put it in 2nd or 3rd and put your foot on the accelerator, changing gears is no issue if you get the revs right, but you hardly have to because Electric motors have max torque from 0 revs, they just draw more current.

evmx5

Post by evmx5 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:32 pm

AutoTutorNZ wrote:
Are you going to have a flywheel?

The EV's I have driven just have direct drive, you don't need a clutch, just put it in 2nd or 3rd and put your foot on the accelerator, changing gears is no issue if you get the revs right, but you hardly have to because Electric motors have max torque from 0 revs, they just draw more current.
Hi,

I'm keeping the clutch, the motor I have is used by some people in direct drive but it does stress the motor and batteries. I live up in the hills of lower hutt and I also need to do motorway driving too so it would be a big ask for my particular motor.

At the end of the day I wanted to keep it manual with clutch anyway :) Don't need to shift out of gear for stopping so its almost like driving an automatic, just leave it in 2nd or 3rd. And can still drive it like a manual when I need.

I'm pretty close to taking the ICE motor out now, my motor adapter and motor have both arrived and are waiting to get installed. Thinking about motor mounts at the moment but I'll wait till the engine is out to take measurements.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:25 pm

any updates on this?

evmx5

Post by evmx5 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

After a long period of inactivity - got side tracked on other stuff - some more progress has been made...

The photo shows the engine bay with motor attached, the controller is on top of the motor. The bottom of the photo is the throttle cable and the throttle driver which sends a signal to the controller.

Nothing is wired up yet, still lots to do...

Pete.

evmx5

Post by evmx5 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm

And this is what side tracked me....

The motor controller has an ethernet data output, so I will have a WIFI router in the car so my phone will connect and display various outputs suc as RPM, Volts, Amps. Controller Temp with the Application that I've written.

Its an Android phone app called EV Speedo, its available to download for anyone. Of course most people can only use the GPS enabled gauges.

Pete.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Looks good Pete. What are you going to do about the power steering and heater/aircon?
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

evmx5

Post by evmx5 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Euen wrote:Looks good Pete. What are you going to do about the power steering and heater/aircon?
Hi,

I de-powered the steering rack using these instructions http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php . Not sure how well that is going to go down with the certification inspector.

For the heater I'm going to fit an ceramic element where the heater radiator fins are, powered off the main battery pack. No A/C which is fine with me.

Pete.

Euen

Post by Euen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm

On the rack front, if there are cert issues, you could go to a manual rack. Some of the earlier 5s were fitted with them as an option. I haven't had any problems with my depowered one since doing it but it may get noticed when I get my new brakes certed in a couple of weeks.

I have also seen mention of electric PS pumps somewhere recently as well.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:58 pm

SW20 Toyota MR2 has a electric ps pump alot of speedway guys use them

a CF4 Honda accord also has one bud i don't really know too much about them

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”