Water/Methanol injection

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Water/Methanol injection

Post by ham » Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Have the basic JRm45 Supercharger on my 89 NA and have been considering the pros and cons of fitting Water/Methanol injection as a cooling option. Will probably do a boost upgrade with a larger crank pully also. Will be happy with around 8lb boost. All comments appreciated.

John

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Water/Methanol injection

Post by jif » Thu May 14, 2009 2:45 pm

2009/5/14 ham <horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz (horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz)>
Have the basic JRm45 Supercharger on my 89 NA and have been considering the pros and cons of fitting Water/Methanol injection as a cooling option. Will probably do a boost upgrade with a larger crank pully also. Will be happy with around 8lb boost. All comments appreciated.

John
no personal experience with water injection, but have you seen http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/f22/ ?   The engineer in me finds it fascinating ;) but the added complexity/fragility (ie a whole another injection system, water running out scenario) is a bit daunting.

I think a regular air/air or air/water intercooler would be safer and possibly even cheaper tho - just not so easy with a SC  !

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Water/Methanol injection

Post by zorruno » Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm

ham wrote:Have the basic JRm45 Supercharger on my 89 NA and have been considering the pros and cons of fitting Water/Methanol injection as a cooling option. Will probably do a boost upgrade with a larger crank pully also. Will be happy with around 8lb boost. All comments appreciated.
I have the same S/C now, with a piggyback ECU on my '94. Needs some more tuning as it is pretty rough until the revs increase (but manageable).

Was planning to install water/air i/c setup, as that is what was what the previous owner of the s/c had - including flipped over pulley for more boost. It was decided not to put the i/c in as it made the whole setup pretty complex and I was told pretty laggy too. I still have all the bits and might look at ways to improve on the design sometime (hey, it took me about 4 years to get the s/c installed!)

I would consider looking at a relatively simple water injection setup and flipping the pulley over sometime, but when I started researching this, the setups available started looking more and more complex, i.e. staged injection requiring tapping in to ECU signals etc.

I'm happy with simple at the mo! Keep us up to date if you find anything interesting tho.
(z)

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ham » Fri May 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks Jiff. Certainly plenty of info. Will take a while read through all the threads.

Simple is always good Zorruno. If I give it a go it will be a basic setup running off boost pressure. As for the boost upgrade, thats just a mater of time.
1989 NA Blue JRSC.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”