Fuel Injector Seals... Which ones?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:05 pm

I'm having a set of larger (360cc) injectors cleaned and the guy wanted to know which seals the MX5 takes (lower - injection tip end), he said there are two types on Mazda's, one is smooth and the other ribbed( no rude comments please :) ).

I have attached photo's of both, from eBay as advertised being for the same model Miata, who knows, maybe it doesn't matter.

Anyone recognise which one is correct?
Attachments
Injector 1.jpg
Injector 2.JPG
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 pm

Gary, I don't think it makes a lot of difference as long as they are the same size and they seal. Both sets of injectors I have (96 and 99) are fitted with the smooth seals.

Who is doing your cleaning? Petroject in Albany did my last ones and I was pretty pleased with the results.

Cheers
Euen
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

poison

Post by poison » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 pm

Hey Euen

Thanks for the reply, I think you are right, even more so given the two types on the eBay photo's for the same model. The problem is I don't know the size until I do the swap, anyone have some on a bench? The one's on them now are from a GTX and may be different, who knows.

Yes indeed the Petroject guys are doing it. I rang a few places and Petroject were only one of two who sounded professional and the other was miles away. Some of the other outfits sounded like they would just soak them in some petrol, and when I asked about comparative flow bench testing and they said "what for?" so that said it all. On the phone petroject guy asked me why I was putting in bigger injectors and made sure I knew what I was doing (ie; using an aftermarket computer) which is good service not just after a quick buck.

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:49 am

What is the quoted/usual cost for a clean and flow test (assuming the latter is an optional extra?)?

Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

2low2c
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by 2low2c » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:35 am

Both types are the same size,check the impedence and the lengh as someare acouple of mm shorter
Ihave spare seals of both types if you need them.

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Re: Fuel Injector Seals... Which ones?

Post by Growler » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:26 pm

poison wrote:The problem is I don't know the size until I do the swap, anyone have some on a bench?
I have a couple of spare sets if you want to come around and have a look.

Euen

Post by Euen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Ian, About $140, including new seals and tips and the flow test. Petroject use something about the same viscosity as petrol to ensure that the the flow test is accurate. I was pleasantly surprised by the rate they measured as it seemed to be somewhat higher than the rate regularly quoted for 99 (red) injectors on the miata.net forum.

Euen
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”