Cold Air Intake Locations

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Cold Air Intake Locations

Post by poison » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Found a great article on positive pressure spots for CAI (Cold Air Intake) systems, and it pretty well proves that the point about the headlight is high pressure (some said it wasn't). Also shows the spot at the bottom of the windscreen for the Loch Stewart system is also good. Interesting read.

http://www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_110360/article.html

(Glad I did a spell check first :oops: )
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Psycho_Dad » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 pm

yeah about this? no one ever tried hooking up a manometer to their mx5 and taking it for a blast?

i can borrow one from work if someone feels like spending some time blitzing around in their cars for a few hours

id do it myself, but i feel tearing around in cars with more than one person more fun for scientific research

PEace
Psycho_Dad

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:52 pm

well i dont give a rats where the air comes from and whether or not its a low or high pressure area on the headlight duct.

all i know is that comprehensive testing with dual K type thermo couples showed significant temp decrease in the air box and filter with the headlight duct fitted.

thats all i need to know.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dynofiend » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:56 am

Even if you do find a 'high pressure' spot to intake cold air from, it is unlikely to overcome the vacuum effect thats sucking the air into the cylinders, until extremely high speeds are reached. For example, Im sure I recall reading that the bonnet duct on the Ferrari 456 LM cars (the one right in the middle of the bonnet) doesnt actually produce any performance advantage until speeds of over 160kph are reached.

fiatracer
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Loch Stewart intake

Post by fiatracer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:10 am

I have one of these sitting unused since we took it off our Targa car. Approx 4 years old, but only used for c. 10,000km / 2 years. Anyone interested can reply or contact me, cheers
MX5 ex-Targa car with Greddy based turbo setup + Emanage Ultimate + IC + LSD = 178rwhp
youtube = fiatracer

biff
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by biff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 am

Is that the bonnet type, or the light cover type?
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

fiatracer
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by fiatracer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:17 am

it's a Loch Stewart intake that feeds from base on windscreen - has an enclosed chanber with panel filter
MX5 ex-Targa car with Greddy based turbo setup + Emanage Ultimate + IC + LSD = 178rwhp
youtube = fiatracer

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”