Turbo Heat Shield…. Insulation needed

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:20 pm

The first thing I did after getting my car was to make a stainless turbo heat shield as the bonnet got insanely hot after stopping the car, in fact I am still surprised the paint survived.

The stainless cover is so nice and shiny – which many people feel the need to touch, but only once – :lol: – it gets damn hot, does anyone know of anything I can stick to the underside of it to try and add a bit of insulation? And a glue that won’t melt?? When I go the car everything was covered in an ugly fibre glass weave/foil tape. The only place I can find sheets of this is from Forman insulation, the problem is I don’t want to buy enough to re-do the Queen Mary boilers.

Idea’s please….
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

2low2c
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by 2low2c » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Why don't you buy a turbo beanie if you thinck it needs more insulation

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm

repco sell a ceramic sandwich heat shield sheet which is excellent for sheilding turbos. I used it on the underside of the bonnet and on my cold air box.(see my cardomain site for pics) it is easily cut with tin snips and can be folded/molded. i swear by it. definitly the best stuff for this sort of thing.

Also, i used heat shield blanket to wrap my water/heater hoses with. its a fiberglass mat with a aluminium outer layer which can be wrapped around hoses and tied with steel tie wire.you buy it by the square foot :wink: . i got mine from etchells race parts here in tauranga, they supply all the speedway guys so i bet theres a place in Auks that sells it.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

poison

Turbo Heat Shield.. Insulation needed

Post by poison » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Is this the stuff?
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/prod_heatshield.htm

Looks just perfect for what I want, and the local agent sells it on TM;
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 188372.htm

There is this too, but it looks to be the fibreglass and foil;
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =144851720

I can't understand why the turbo beanies are so expensive at $250 upwards. Any idea why I can't just wrap it in exhaust wrap? And then maybe foil tape over that to look pretty? Although I guess there is the risk of impeding the operation of the waste gate which could have annoying or even dire consequences.

From what I have found so far the turbo can run up to 950degC. And exhaust wrap can handle up to 2000F (1100C) continuous contact. Many products like the glass/foil state 2000F but looking around similar products this seems to be radiant only and not contact.

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:50 am

yes thats the stuff..the acl sheet is good for air box and bonnet protection and the fiberglass wrap is goo for protecting stuff like hoses. i riveted the acl sheet to the strenthening webs on the underside of the bonnet .

it is much better to protect the stuff around the turbo than to wrap the turbo/headers it self. this allows airflow around the turbo and prevents it from getting too hot and cracking. as you can see in my engine bay pics on my cardomain the turbo is naked but the delicate hoses/airbox are protected from the searing heat with the sheilding material. the only thing i have wrapped is the first section of dump pipe, purely because of space restrictions.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”