Engine swaps - V6?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Engine swaps - V6?

Post by Gravelben » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I was idly contemplating the possibilities of power upgrades for an MX5 today - not because I'm planning anything (not soon anyway) but because I'm bored at work - and got to thinking:idea: , I'm not a fan of rotaries and a V8 lump would royally screw the balance of an MX5, forced induction is obviously the easiest option but has anyone transplanted one of the Mazda V6s into an MX5?

The KL-ZE 2.5 V6 out of the 626/Telstar/Eunos 800 puts out 200hp/224Nm in standard jap spec, presumably a bit more could be freed up with some breathing mods. Thats a good (and reliable) step up from 120hp/137Nm with the bonus of NA power delivery and a tasty V6 engine note to go with it. 8)

Then I discovered another interesting motor the Eunos 800 came out with - the KJ-ZEM 2.3 supercharged miller-cycle V6 - 220hp/290Nm with 275Nm from 2000-5500 rpm and apparently silky smooth to boot. How would that go for effortless grunt in an MX5?

The KJ-ZEM is less revvy than the KL-ZE so would perhaps be less fun in an MX5 from that angle - peak power and torque at 5500/3500 compared to 6500/5500.

Any ideas how the V6's would fit into an MX5 engine bay? Surely someone must have tried it... :?:

biff

Engine swaps - V6?

Post by biff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:09 pm

I haven’t, but what a great idea J
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:37 pm

Firstly the Mazda/Telstar enging is east/west (Front wheel drive) where as the MX5 is RWD.
It could be done but I'm guess you would need things like a custom bellhousing to hook up to the MX5 box etc.
It would cost a shit load of money if you couldn't do it yourself.
You would be better off either spending the money on a turbo/supercharged system or chosing another engine from a RWD car.
If you wanted a V6 you would be better off with say a Holden :( or even the V6 Mazda Bounty engine.
Too much trouble if you ask me... :wink:

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Engine swaps - V6?

Post by poison » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Just before buying my car 18 months or so ago I missed out on an NA MX5 with a Nissan SR20DET with bigger injectors and a piggy back ECU. On full boost it was running about 350 RWHP…. OMG.

I like the rotary idea,

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Engine swaps - V6?

Post by zorruno » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:55 pm

on 6/03/2008 5:17 p.m. biff wrote:
Any ideas how the V6's would fit into an MX5 engine bay? Surely someone
must have tried it...
There is a lot of info on Randy Stocker's pages
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html

I heard rumours that the Flying Miata guys put a V6 engine in once -
possibly from a Vitara? Can't remember that far back...

[Posted via external email]
(z)

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Engine swaps - V6?

Post by jif » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Have seen a pic of an early Miata Magazine tech committee Mazda V6 install....they got the bare engine in place then decided it was all too difficult and went no further. From memory, there is a pic in one of the Miata books, the name of which escapes me for the moment.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Just remembered...the pic is in Norman Garretts book.

If I was to do an engine swap, I would favour a series 4 single turbo 13B (the upgraded 1990? spec - 150kw) I believe there was a kit produced in Western Australia to facilitate this swap.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 am

Hmmm, so its been done with the KL-ZE (see links above) but sounds like quite a bitof work. The Suzuki version of the V6 is longitudinal so may be more workable? Only 160hp but a lot of the Mazda parts maybe interchangeable.

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:27 pm

In the early days Mazda did shoehorn the JE V6 motor in one ,I did have a magazine showing it ,used a RX7 box and rear end ,Rover V8 would be good for weight issues as it's quite light.

rossnzwpi
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by rossnzwpi » Sat May 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi, the v6 swap is quite well documented now - you can even see a youtube KL V6 (with motorbike throttle bodies). There was some debate on the miata forum about oil starvation with a transverse motor installed longitudinally in an mx5 but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Mazda also tried a duratec Ford/Mazda V6 and it worked well. James May (Top Gear) fantasized that an MX5 with Alfa V6 would be great. The Suzuki variant of the Mazda KL is higher. The Jz (929, van MPV etc) is not a popular option - wide, not sporty.

Of course in the USA lots of Chevy V6s are finding their way into Miatas.

broomfish

Post by broomfish » Mon May 31, 2010 2:55 pm

I went down the same path a while back as i am a V6 fan. I googled "V6 Miata" and got some good results. A guy stateside put a Lincoln FWD V6 into a NB and bulged the bonnet coz the throttle body stuck out the front
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”