Less weight = free Horsepower! :D

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Free Horsepower :P well, kind of. Less weight equals a better power to weight raito which is essentially the same as adding more horse power. :D

Habanero666 asked the question – Are there any good idea’s on weight reduction for an MX5?

The MX5 is pretty well designed with weight being kept in mind. So savings are pretty small as in gm’s rather than kg. I have a Japanese magazine showing weight savings somewhere I’ll see if I can decipher anything from it. :?:

Off the top of my head the only significant savings I can think of are;

1) Wheels, there is a huge weight difference between different models of wheels, maybe 10kg+ could be saved. This also has the benefit of improved suspension performance.

2) Aircon’ removal, big weight, but saved at a cost. For me sitting in the sun at the lights, aircon is a must. MiataMad removed his aircon and the power steering! Total weight saved…18kg. Interesting read; http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php ... hlight=air

3) Power steering, maybe 4-5kg and some people prefer the driving feel, although parking can be very hard with larger wheels.

4) Alternator and Aircon brackets, not sure which one it was but one of them was made from a large piece of cast steel and probably a few Kgs’

5) No fat friends. Speaks for itself really, and remember the difference between a girlfriend and a wife can be up to 20kg.. sad but true :( . And if you’re a fatty a diet = free horsepower and probably a longer life :D .

And to make things worse we then go and stick in lots of heavy things like huge mags, style bars, roll cages, turbos, superchargers, and other bits of steel to make our cars feel or look better. Not forgetting the amplifiers and huge sub-woofer and all that crap that ‘s accumulated in the boot :roll:
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:38 pm

lightweightmiata.com !

I took the PS off the other weekend, it's quite liveable (just need 2 hands instead of 1 finger for sharp corners) and there's also a big ol' bracket which I couldn't work out how to remove. It looks pretty beefy ... I'd guesstimate 1 or 2 kg right there.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:40 pm

hmmmm.... so wifes weigh 20 kgs more than girlies aye??? :wink:

Yep I have got rid of air con and have listed some of the cosmetic stuff on trade me also :D

Thanks for the info!
Tires aren't cheap!

poison

Post by poison » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Habanero666 wrote:hmmmm.... so wifes weigh 20 kgs more than girlies aye??? :wink:
Yes so I've heard, and the danger is it can be quite gradual :roll:

MX5PWR
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MX5PWR » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:10 pm

All very interesting, what about full fuel tank verse empty!!! Would that not make as much difference as divorcing the wife and getting a girl friend. I find that the longer I drive, the less fuel I have in the tank, so unless you stop at every petrol station to keep the tank at the same level, your total weight and weight distribution is going to change every km you do. Try doing the maths on that – nah I will just enjoy the drive and forget about the extra couple of kilos.
Oh and then there is the extra weight I put on over Xmas!!

MN

Post by MN » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Depends on what you're using the car for - turf out the spare wheel and boot floor as well! All carpeting has gone too I'm sure.

Interesting I've been weighed on Targa events at around 1220-1230kg 2 up, full rally gear and half tank of fuel.

Those weight-height charts indicate I should loose around 15kgs and my co-driver the same so a crew weight loose program may be the best option!
cheers,

Mark

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:21 pm

:twisted: Street sleeper use and occasional squirt out manfield park.

I have a huge pile of miata magazines from the usa that have heaps of tricks for lightening but some are a bit too extreme.

Has anyone whipped out the carpets yet??

I am sure I will just have to try it out.... 8) [/quote]
Tires aren't cheap!

poison

Post by poison » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:47 pm

I took out the carpets because a cat 'sprayed' on them, they really didn't weigh much at all. The thick silencer mat under the carpet behind the seats was quite heavy though, maybe a couple of kg. But I'll opt to keep it, must have been put there for a noise reason.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:58 pm

If anyone is thinking of removing their aircon, I have a couple of the light weight plastic ducts that go under the dash between the heater fan and the heater unit.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”