re: Install a DIY Air Intake for Better Flow... need cert?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

re: Install a DIY Air Intake for Better Flow... need cert?

Post by Psycho_Dad » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm wondering how many people here have drilled a 65mm hole into their fire wall...
since that is a structural part of the car, wouldn't wof guys pick up on the fact your modifying the structural integrity of the car?

im really keen to do it, but i dont want to learn i have to go through the cert process

cheers
Psycho_Dad

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:16 pm

technically speaking, that part that you drill next to the wiper motor isnt structural and isnt the "firewall" proper, so it isnt a problem to drill strength wise, and doesnt need a cert...however you never know who your gonna get at the wof station so i suggest drilling it and then making a nice colour coded cover for it to go on at wof time..in the position that it is, it is easy to make a stealth cover for it.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

poison

Install a DIY Air Intake for Better Flow... need cert?

Post by poison » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 pm

I believe the guy that invented it was Loch Stewart of Aussie and used to sell it as the Loch Stewart system. A few members have this and mostly no issues, I made my own and made the mistake of going to a VTINZ station and got the big reject, I then got a letter from a panel beater certifier that this was not structural and they gave me the WOF. Anyway they sound great :) but it's CAI user beware as far as WOF's go.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Psycho_Dad » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:26 pm

thats what i want to hear, that theirs a cheap letter to fix my problem... thanks heaps, id give you karma for that one but i cant just yet

i knew this forum would be a good idea, keep up the good work

cheers

Psycho_Dad

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”