Is the dyno right ?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

kjl
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Is the dyno right ?

Post by kjl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:49 am

Hi everyone, I have finally got my turbo installation sorted (Greddy kit) and sent it off to the rolling road to have the Emanage tuned.
Current spec is :
Std Engine
Greddy base kit TO4
Small intercooler w/ 2" piping
Emanage with inj harness, ign harness & boost sensor
2.5" exhaust from Greddy back

It has come back with a print out showing 151.8kw at the tyres!
Boost appears to be 7.5 psi most of the time with a peak of 9 at 4500rpm.

The dyno used was a Torque Performance Dynamometer and the guy who set up the Emanage certainly knows what he's doing but thats nearly 200bhp by my reckoning.
Admittedly it did feel damn quick and very smooth at Pukekohe on Saturday before the nuts holding the turbo on all came loose.

What do you reckon, is 200bhp possible with a basic setup like this?

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Is the dyno right ?

Post by jif » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:49 pm

The usual rule-of-thumb (American admittedly) is ~10hp/psi ... so it seems you're doing pretty well ;)

Was a "correction factor" applied to get that number ?

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Most importantly why has Jif got more stars than me...:cry:

That sounds pretty well what Slydit got on his with a very similar set-up. and mush the same as mine once I get the damn EMB installed. So may I ask Is this on an NA or NB? 1800/1600? and what size injectors did you install? and did you increase the fuel pressure at all? How does it idle and run at low revs with bigger injectors??

Mine is the NB which has the high 60PSI (I think, must check..) fuel pressure as standard rather than the NA which like most cars is 43PSI. So I am undecided on how far I can push the injector sizes.

We have a very serious turbo guru at work, he's the pretty understated kind not the loud mouth so I am confident in what he says. Anyway he says that a lot of cars that have dyno'd well got lower readings in Comps in Aussie as there are more than one 'standard' and also different types of dyno, and many places want to get the highest readings as it looks good.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

kjl

Post by kjl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:49 am

Hi, sorry I forgot to say that car is a 92 1600cc with 160k on it. I bolted turbo kit on to standard engine to sort out any issues before putting in an engine I am rebuilding at present that has a few nice parts in.
I believe it is running std injectors.
No increase in fuel pressure and std pump, I threw away the black box that came with the Greddy kit as it just tricked the ECU into running with choke on all the time and was massively overfueling. It is only since the Emanage has been on that it has been driveable.
On start up it sits at 1500-2000rpm until warm then drops to just below 1000rpm idle, on the track it seems super smooth and even when coming back into the pits after 10 mins it idles well.

DYNO printout shows a correction factor of 0.963. Does that mean you multiply 151.8 x 0.963 to get actual reading for the run? (146.1kw)

I am very happy with the set up and especially the tuning of the Emanage but just thought the reading was a bit high. I was epecting 170-180bhp from this set up.
I dont mind having the extra power just as long as it is actually there.

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Was it definately at the wheels and not the flywheel?

Growler.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Is the dyno right ?

Post by zorruno » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:55 pm

on 10/10/2007 11:13 p.m. poison wrote:
Most importantly why has Jif got more stars than me...
didn't we already go there?
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=8518
(z)

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:47 pm

that sounds about right..my car is about 140RWKW at 7 psi and a "safe" tune...id say that you you would be at the MAX your injectors can handle though...what were you air fuel ratios??i bet theyd be up around 12.5 to 13:1 with that sort of boost to Hp relationship....maybe a bit lean IMO..get yourself some 330cc injectors from an 1800 mazda GTX turbo to be safe.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 pm

oh by the way..the torque performance dyno's read about 10% higher than the Dyno dynamics dynos that are used extensively in AUS
RED '90 TURBO.

poison

Post by poison » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:09 pm

kjl wrote:... I believe it is running std injectors....
except for the Injectors all the facts and figures sound lgegit... As Slydit mentioned it would have to be pretty lean up top to achive that must boost on standard fuel pressure and injectors.

There is a great site for info about injectors (and boosted Miata's (MX5's) http://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4288

In section 3 of the above you can see the size by looking at the colour on the outside of the injectors) yours standard should have the Tan colour body's. Which are 265cc @43PSI standard pressure. So seemingly you would need to have either 360cc injectors or boost your fuel pressure to 96PSI....

I assume you installed the e-manage, how much did they charge for the dyno time??? If you don't mind.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

kjl

Post by kjl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:07 am

Hi all, thanks for the info. Air/fuel is 12 - 12.5.
I thinks its time for some bigger injectors and a better fuel pump.

For Poison - I got them to do the whole job (fit Emanage, inj harness, ign harness, boost harness & sensor then tune). All up it was $900, mine was the first Emanage they had done. A couple of friends are having them fitted now and the price will be less.

Te Rapa Automotive here in Hamilton did the work and I couldnt recommend them enough, they are A++.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:10 pm

If you like i can show you how to make up an "oxygen sensor clamp" which stops your car from running lean when your boosting at part throttle...it basically tricks the ecu into ignoring the O2 sensor and stops it leaning the part throttle mixtures out..

Do you have the laptop software and cable?? Absolutly worth every cent as you can datalog and save maps etc.
RED '90 TURBO.

kjl

Post by kjl » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Hi Slydit

Thanks for that, I have just scored some 305cc injectors so I will install them and a 250lph pump and get that lot tuned first.
Yes I got the system tool cd, you are absolutely right it was well worth it.

And Pukekohe is open on Friday, hurrah !

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:45 pm

DONT GET THE 250LPH PUMP!!!!
There have been many instances where the 250lph overpowers the stock fuel pressure regulator and at light load and idle the fuel pressure goes high and unstable....

Get the 190LPH one just to be safe...it can push more than enough fuel for our little cars.Im still using my standard factory 160,000k one just fine.
RED '90 TURBO.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”