Clutch time

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

jojonz
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Clutch time

Post by jojonz » Wed May 02, 2007 12:08 pm

The old factory clutch lasted a week, currently running 7psi and don't intend to push much beyond that.
Any Recommendations?
Thanks.
92 SE brg, Greddy Td04 & Manifold, custom DP, Nissan silvia IC, EMB, Autotune, 315 inj. work in progress.

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

I had the same issue

Post by Miatamad » Wed May 02, 2007 2:58 pm

And installed the Exedy racing clutch and the 1.8 flywheel (lightened).

Stay with organic if you can else the car is going to be very difficult to drive. The puc? clutchs are binary - either on or off and no good for traffic!

FM also recommend a organic clutch up to iro 300 rwhp.

The lightened flywheel sure makes more clatter noise in the tunnel - but thats the price one must pay.
Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Clutch time

Post by jif » Wed May 02, 2007 4:20 pm

A 1800 size clutch (and flywheel) will handle that - it was good for 8-10 psi on my 1800 (ie ~180 rwhp) , and that was when it was 7 yrs old. Maybe increase the clutch pressure a bit for more torque/power handling capacity.

poison might still have me old setup kicking around his garage (and therefore for sale?) ... may just need to change the disc for a new one, altho the old one only slipped at 10-12psi and >100km/h. Cheap upgrade :)

The lightweight flywheel is pretty useless on a turbo, it's not like you need help with 1st gear acceleration right? ;)

HTH ...

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Wed May 02, 2007 4:38 pm

sounds interesting.
Certainly an easy way to go.
Is there a 1.8 flywheel kicking around that garage?
92 SE brg, Greddy Td04 & Manifold, custom DP, Nissan silvia IC, EMB, Autotune, 315 inj. work in progress.

Anthug
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Anthug » Wed May 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Hi,

Talk to the guys at Autoclutch http://www.clutch.co.nz/

They can taylor a kit to suit your requirements.

A.

jif

Clutch time

Post by jif » Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm

yeah, the flywheel was there - not sure what poison's done with it tho? ;) Try email/PM'ing him ...

My new clutch is from autoclutch - it does the job, but for the money ($1k for ACT HD pressure plate and a kevlar disc) you could get prob get 2 ACT (or clutchnet etc) setups from the states... and no they didn't give a club discount on 'custom parts' :(

If you go the USA route I could give you some pointers/intros ...

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed May 02, 2007 6:31 pm

Just fitted an Exedy HD clutch kit from BNT (together wih a RB alloy flywheel) 2 weeks ago to my 1.8 naturally aspirated NA. Feels the business! (intake and exhaust mods only at this stage) I would imagine this clutch would also suit your turbo at 7lbs?
Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Wed May 02, 2007 10:06 pm

thanks jif, sent him a pm.

poison

Post by poison » Wed May 02, 2007 10:41 pm

FYI, I dtill have it, I had it lightened slightly, in fact very slightly as the guy liked to be safe, and for that I'm happy. I then got a new plate and high force pressure plate, and had them balanced (minus the plate).

My car has a stock clutch ete so I was going to keep it to upgrade my car. Jif, or anyone else,.... will the NA 1800 flywheel and plate fit my NB???

I was then going to give the flywheel back to Jif.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

jif

Clutch time

Post by jif » Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 pm

yep, should fit no probs ...

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Fri May 11, 2007 10:34 am

Ian wrote:Just fitted an Exedy HD clutch kit from BNT (together wih a RB alloy flywheel) 2 weeks ago to my 1.8 naturally aspirated NA. Feels the business! (intake and exhaust mods only at this stage) I would imagine this clutch would also suit your turbo at 7lbs?
Cheers, Ian
I have a 1.8 flywheel now, and am looking at the Exedy HD.
Is it ok on the left leg?

WRW
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by WRW » Fri May 11, 2007 4:32 pm

I recently got a heavy duty clutch with a lightened flywheel for my StripeMonster installed by Speedfactor in Tga. Can be a bit of a left leg exercise when stuck in traffic (with the roundabouts converting into traffic lights going to and from the Mount I get stuck every day) but I love it!

Just hope I won't have a ginormous left leg after a while :P
Nina
-------------------
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun May 13, 2007 1:38 am

jojonz wrote:
Ian wrote:Just fitted an Exedy HD clutch kit from BNT (together wih a RB alloy flywheel) 2 weeks ago to my 1.8 naturally aspirated NA. Feels the business! (intake and exhaust mods only at this stage) I would imagine this clutch would also suit your turbo at 7lbs?
Cheers, Ian
I have a 1.8 flywheel now, and am looking at the Exedy HD.
Is it ok on the left leg?
Yes, Exedy HD is fine as far as leg pressure goes...
Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 13, 2007 6:10 pm

my 1800 clutch has a 750kg clamp pressure plate and its as light as stock, but i still hate driving down hewletts road :lol:
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Sun May 13, 2007 6:42 pm

Swap you this:
http://www.trustpower.co.nz/TrafficCam/ ... ationID=2#

for this:
http://traffic.transit.govt.nz/ViewCamera.do?id=2

on a wet monday Morning!!

Got a 1.8 flywheel all cleaned up, and I am going to try an Australian RPM clutch kit.
The $100 question is: Should I get the flywheel lightened?

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 13, 2007 6:56 pm

HEHE...
my flywheel is stock.... if your going to get the face of it machined then you may as well get the lip on the back machined off as well.

Oh by the way..ive discovered a way to switch relays for O2 clamps/autotune/water injection with the emanage using NO pressure switches....it uses a previously unused output driver on the emanage and a bit of black magic 8) .
this is a world first for the MX5/ emanage community.
Im running it on my car and am going to hook it up on Gazzas car when hes down next time...if you want the info then ill try to give you the info on how to hook it up.
RED '90 TURBO.

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Sun May 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Yeah, would be great to get that info.
I noticed a chat about the possibility on the US forum a while back, was that you?
The new flywheel weights in at about 7.7 kilo, what can I safely remove?
Interestingly this 1.8 fw is a BP7 from 1995, but the next fw a BPE8 is supposedly heavier by a few lb, so say the US spec racing club.
Maybe removing some weight will help the lazy 1st to 2nd gear change?

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 13, 2007 7:23 pm

jojonz wrote:Maybe removing some weight will help the lazy 1st to 2nd gear change?
i wouldnt worry about that with the hairdryer on the side!

I tried to get info from all over the world on my mod a few months ago but no-one had done it, so i bit the bullet and did some testing that has worked out... you need the "gold" software loaded to your emanage... Gazza has my gold software CD. its a simple software/firmware upgrade. You also need to change the jumpers inside..this allows the use of the "NVCS" output which you can programme to fire a relay based on a load/rev map. My Miataturbo.net name is 4sfed5.
RED '90 TURBO.

jif

Clutch time

Post by jif » Sun May 13, 2007 8:57 pm

On 13/05/07, jojonz <horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz (horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
The $100 question is: Should I get the flywheel lightened?
IMO - no ... esp not if you run lean-ish and with any decent amount of timing at low-load/low-rpm, and/or you commute with it.

For a high-revvin track beast it'd be schweet :D

[Posted via external email]

jif

Clutch time

Post by jif » Sun May 13, 2007 9:04 pm

... for the no-vote on the light flywheel... should've mentioned that probably only applies for those with stand-alone or piggy-back ECUs.

I think my engine mounts are ripped from the engine jerking around so much :P probably wouldn't happen if it was just a light FW + stock everything else !

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Sun May 13, 2007 9:53 pm

My base timing till 1psi is 14 deg, and I have no problems with first gear acceleration, thats for sure.
Just the slow gearbox from 1 to 2 that is annoying.
Will a lighter flywheel help that?

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 pm

yeah, mazda speed engine mounts are supposed to help turbo cars change gears as the engine rocking is lessened...might have to check mine i think....
RED '90 TURBO.

jif

Clutch time

Post by jif » Sun May 13, 2007 11:12 pm

On 13/05/07, jojonz <horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz (horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
My base timing till 1psi is 14 deg, and I have no problems with first gear acceleration, thats for sure.
Just the slow gearbox from 1 to 2 that is annoying.
Will a lighter flywheel help that?
I kinda doubt it, I think the 2nd gear synchros are weak from the outset ... mine behaves like that too with a lightened chromoly FW, and was like that way back when it was totally stock too - ie unrelatd to the turbo, FW, synthetic trans oil etc ...

Also I kinda suspect that a light FW is actually *worse* for a turbo/super charged car, due to less crankshaft damping = more stress on the gearbox/oil-pump etc. I actually spend 1-2 gearchanges blipping the throttle, waiting for the synchros to catchup with the engine :P

jojonz

Post by jojonz » Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 pm

The new NTN thrust bearing is different than I have seen before.
Looks like it self-aligns, ie the bearing that contacts the pressure plate can move within the housing by about 4 or 5 mm.
The inside of the bellhousing was caked in transmission oil, from a transmission front cover gasket failure.
The gasket is a very thin paper? type, was wondering if I can substitute silicone or hylomar.
Attachments
transmission1.jpg

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”