Jackson Supercharger or Greddy Turbo ???

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

kjl
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by kjl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:08 pm

It looks like a few of you have fitted Jackson kits to your MX5's, are they as good as Jackson reckon?
Greddy turbo kit?

I am undecided whether to go turbo or s/c route. I like the idea of more grunt thru rev range (s/c) but the upgradability of a turbo also appeals.

Car is only used for track days - lowered, cage, big bore, pod, lightened throughout, Bridgestone RE540's. Yeah it sounds nice but it looks rough!

Cheers

KJL

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by DBM58 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:13 pm

I am in Auckland if you want to try mine. It's a 1991 NA with a Sebring (re-badged Jackson) supercharger fitted by MazdaSpeed.
David

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Id stay away from a super charger if you do track work..most properly sized turbos make full boost of around 7-8psi by 3000rpm and hold all the way to redline.The supercharger will be falling off the power band above 6000rpm..the question is...do i really drive under 3000rpm for performance??

The jackson racing kit is very limited in upgrades to get more power out of it, whereas the Greddy turbo has a huge upgrade potential.The problem with the JR supercharger is that its barely big enough for the application so when you start to push it, the intake temps skyrocket.This means you need water injection, and i certainly dont trust the life of my engine on a water squirter!

dollar for dollar the turbo is far better value than a S/C. A $5000 upgrded greddy kit will make LOTS more power than a stock $5000 JR supercharger.

what sort of budget do you have for turbo/supercharger upgrade???
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

MN
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Re: Jackson Supercharger or Greddy Turbo ???

Post by MN » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 pm

[quote="kjl"

...... Car is only used for track days - lowered, cage, big bore, pod, lightened throughout, Bridgestone RE540's.

KJL[/quote]

So will you be out for the MR2 track day at Taupo (track 2) on the 11th?
cheers,

Mark

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:22 pm

A large-ish turbo would probably be better for the top end, unless you get the big MP62 or new MOAB supercharger setups (search miataforum.com for details).

I don't know about racing classes, but suspect either way you'll end up with the b-i-g boys (modified 911's and such)... you probably need 400+hp to be competitive there :-\

Maximum effort turbo setups seem to be 400-600hp, vs 3-400 for superchargers !!

The Jackson and Greddy kits only put you at "only" ~130 to 180 hp. Still a fun place to be :)

PS - anyone want a good deal on a STi VF23 turbo? Going on to trademe soon otherwise .

cheers,
Jeff

'96 1800 - VJ20 turbo, Link ECU and $tuff.

[Posted via External Email]

kjl

Jackson supercharger or Greddy Turbo

Post by kjl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:58 am

Hi all

Thanks for all the info, it sounds like turbo will be the way to go because of the relatively cheap initial cost and future upgradeability.
There are currently five of us in Hamilton with very similar speccd cars (not road legal) and I have taken it upon myself (as ringleader and cheat) to take the next step then, hopefully, the others will follow. It should make the back straight at Puke a bit more interesting!

Yes some of us will be at Taupo on 11.12, look out for the tatty looking MX5's that no one else would be seen in or near.
Should anyone wish to join in the fun at Pukekohe we are generally there when open day is a Friday or drop me a line to check.

Oh well, now I know its going to be a turbo I had better order those Wiseco pistons!

Have fun
kjl

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:01 am

I’m not booked in for the track day – but I may come down and watch just for a bit of fun.

Just as an aside – just because you are running a turbo –that does not mean that there is no need to change the pistons.  You can run 12psi day in / day out without putting any stress on the engine (that’s about 220 rwhp) – 15 psi with good tuning. 

Your going to need to throw $$$ at the clutch before you need to change anything inside the engine.  And a new diff’s for anything over (approx) 250 rwhp.

Attention:
This e-mail is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 am

I agree with miatamad..(or should that be Mad miata now??)
look at getting the turbo on and upgrading the things like water and oil cooling/clutch first. the engines are pretty boost happy at anything up to 15 or so psi WITH GOOD TUNING.

Having been in Johns 260RWHP mx5 i can say that theres not much that will touch a mx with that sort of HP. we put it on the digital G-tech and it did several less than perfect launches of 0-100 in around 5.2 seconds and (low 13's???) quarter miles.

id look at getting maybe an AVO turbo and manifold as they are pretty reliable, The greddy manifolds have a tendency to crack.

either that or go custom manifold with a Nissan rb20 or rb25 turbo, that would be a mean track setup.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

jif

Post by jif » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:54 am

May I  suggest going with a popular turbo, like an EVO's, Subaru's or maybe T25 (kinda small tho) ... gives you plenty of cheap upgrade options for when the power bug bites ;)

eg, the IHI VF38 from current model Legacy's is a scorching bargain because it doesn't easily fit older WRXs, but it has dual ballbearings, a titanium turbine and is twin scroll. Supports ~280hp stock, and spool early enough to supply peak torque of 343Nm (!) at 2400rpm... It's also pretty new and so  unlikely to be worn/thrashed. The '99 exhaust manifold looks like it should be easily mod'd to feed the twinscroll :)

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:01 am

SLYDIT,

Nope – not Mad Miata just yet – only running very low boost at the moment.  Need to work on the tuning before racking it up – and probably a better oil return line – I’m getting some blow back.

C

Sent: Thursday, 30 November 2006 10:12 AM
To: horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz
Subject: [MX5Power] Re: Jackson Supercharger or Greddy Turbo ???

I agree with miatamad..(or should that be Mad miata now??)
look at getting the turbo on and upgrading the things like water and oil cooling/clutch first. the engines are pretty boost happy at anything up to 15 or so psi WITH GOOD TUNING.

Having been in Johns 260RWHP mx5 i can say that theres not much that will touch a mx with that sort of HP. we put it on the digital G-tech and it did several less than perfect launches of 0-100 in around 5.2 seconds and (low 13's???) quarter miles.

id look at getting maybe an AVO turbo and manifold as they are pretty reliable, The greddy manifolds have a tendency to crack.

either that or go custom manifold with a Nissan rb20 or rb25 turbo, that would be a mean track setup.

RED '90 TURBO. 192 RWHP. E MANAGE,KONI'S,16"ADVAN RG'S WITH TOYO T1-R'S. (and crap brakes! Image...)

Attention:

Boosted. Scary fast.

kjl

Jackson supercharger or Greddy turbo

Post by kjl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:51 am

Wow, I wish I had found this forum a while back, it would have saved a few pub arguments about turbos and s/c, what fits, etc.

I am going to build a seperate engine for the turbo, new pistons, balanced crank & rods, decent clutch, etc. just for peace of mind. Mine was an import that is showing 130k but I suspect double that would be right. Just picked up a motor off Trade Me for $40 that still runs so by the time I have that rebuilt and the turbo fitted it should be around the same as just the Jackson s/c kit.

Then when all that is done I suppose I should do something about the dent in every panel to stop people sniggering as they walk past it !

Have fun
kjl

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Let them snigger – then you do the’ Dr Evil laugh’ as you go screaming past them.

C

Attention:

Boosted. Scary fast.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:36 pm

on 29/11/2006 3:08 p.m. kjl wrote:
It looks like a few of you have fitted Jackson kits to your MX5's, are
they as good as Jackson reckon?
Greddy turbo kit?
As others have said, if you think you might get the HP bug, then turbos
are the only way to go. This is especially true if you want to do bits
at a time, and you want ultimate HP/$, where HP=(Some large number).

The stock JR superchargers can be improved - my setup (still not
installed...) has a custom water/air intercooler and is driven by a
bigger pulley for more boost.

The dyno chart from the previous owner's 1994 with this setup topped out
at about 170HP. It would be very hard to tweak much more performance out
of it though than he had... he pulled it out to replace it with a turbo ;)

For the amount I paid for the whole thing though, my HP/$ will be pretty
high I suspect compared to most.

cheers
H

(z)

zippy2
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by zippy2 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:48 pm

KJL,

I have a 91, 1600 with a JR supercharger - 6lb of boost. It is mainly a track car, however we also use it for hill climbs and autocross racing.

If you are just track racing I would agree that a turbo seems the way to go. I would almost never drop below 3,500 on the track, just make sure you intercool over 6lbs. And think (get) about a bigger - better radiator.

kjl

Post by kjl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:58 am

Right then, order has been placed, 2 Greddy kits on their way plus Wiseco pistons and I am waiting for them to get back to me about clutches. Should all be here for xmas, it will give my mechanic something to do during our quiet period !

poison

Post by poison » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:48 am

Jeez someone has way too much money J

Right then, order has been placed, 2 Greddy kits on their way plus Wiseco pistons and I am waiting for them to get back to me about clutches. Should all be here for xmas, it will give my mechanic something to do during our quiet period !

:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

kjl

Post by kjl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:57 pm

I should have added that turbo and piston kits are not for both of my engines, another of our crowd has jumped in to keep me company down the back straight at Puke.
Talking of which, I believe there is an open day next Friday (08th)....

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”