Timing advance in 1998 NB 1800

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

jamesg
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Timing advance in 1998 NB 1800

Post by jamesg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:01 pm

I dropped my 1998 NB 1800 into Capital City Mazda last week to have the timing advance changed to 14 degrees that is talked about so much.
I got a phone call a little while later to say that the timing could not be changed on my model. They said that it is common on the 1600’s but that 1800 NB’s like mine could not be changed :(

Does anyone else know about this? And is there an equivalent mod that can be done?

The tech did say that I should look at getting a pod filter installed. Any advice on what one to get or where to get one fitted?
1998 NB RS Special, 1.8 6-speed, classic red

Fletch
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:19 am

To change the timing on an NB, you need to drill/grind the sensor mounting bracket, to physically change its position.... So your mechanic is correct, its not a tuning adjustment like on the older cars...

Some in the USA have done this, but I'm not sure if the results are beneficial?

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:00 pm

... and the reason that it is useful on a NA (1600 and 1800) is that it has fixed timing, based on what you set.

The NB (both 1600 and 1800 as I understand) has a knock sensor and will advance or retard timing based on sensing knock. Theoretically it gives the same benefit as manually adjusting on an NA - if you put 98 octane fuel in, timing should eventually advance I assume.

Advancing the timing on an NB will have no effect as the ECU compensates it back again - but you can fool the advance part of the ECU as Fletch says with the change of position of the sensor. It always sounded like a lot of work for little bit of (if any?) gain to me...
(z)

jamesg
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by jamesg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Thanks Fletch and Zorruno, I guess my lack of mechanical knowledge is showing :oops:
Makes sense when I think about the difference between when the NA and NB were designed.
I won’t be making any timing changes any time soon, although might try running on 98 (currently run 95).

Any ideas about adding a pod filter (new air filter)? Is it worth while?
1998 NB RS Special, 1.8 6-speed, classic red

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”