Looking for a fabricator

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Looking for a fabricator

Post by Miatamad » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Can anyone help - Im looking for someone that puts out reasonable work, preferably on the Shore.

I know Herberts, but I cannot afford their work - I know that they are very good - but they are also Veeeeery expensive.

C
Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Looking for a fabricator

Post by jif » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:02 pm

ditto :)

Isn't Quest4 in Albany?

---------
FS - STi VF23 ballbearing turbo

[Posted via External Email]

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:28 pm

What are wanting fabricated??

Growler.

poison

Looking for a fabricator

Post by poison » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:55 pm

After getting my car I was not happy with the intercooler mounting so I lifted it up about 40mm, back about 15mm and made some stronger brackets. To do this I had to remake and relocate quite a few of the bends and to honest it would not be so hard to have done the whole thing from scratch properly. First mount the intercooler, this is the tricky part, then buy a bunch of bends from “Tube Bending Ltd” in East Tamaki, they have a box of cheap mild steel bends with some good lengths of straight on them. If you want aluminium or stainless then get out your cheque book, but powder coated steel would look great, wow you could even do them BRG… ha ha…

Just remember that the silicone bends are expensive at around $50 each, but straight joiner pieces are only about $20 each. And you do need some as they allow flex and movement from the engine torque. Once the intercooler is in place (the hardest part, but not too bad, I could give you a hand) then it’s not complicated, just time consuming and that’s where the fabrication cost comes in. Tools needed, a hole saw, a vice, hacksaw, half round file, screw driver, patience, time and that’s about it. Oh yes, wheel ramps are a must, once the bumper is off there is a ton of room to work.

Both Jeff and I have similar piping set-ups with the intercooler pipes going down through the guards behind the head lights, this seems like the simplest method. If you want to look at mine again and see if you would give it a go yourself then give me a call and pop over.

Gazza

:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Cheers Gazza - Might just have to have another look.

In reply to the question - what do I want fab'ed - I need to mount the Intercooler, Intercooler piping with flanges for the BOV and FM temp sensor, downpipe 3" :twisted: and finish off the rest of exhaust with 3" marring up with the super dragger muffler.

I have an appointment with a crowd called fast cars (honest) tomorrow - will come back and let you all know the damage.
Boosted. Scary fast.

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:38 pm

oops - sorry jif. Looked for Quest4 - their website is down and out.
Boosted. Scary fast.

jif

Looking for a fabricator

Post by jif » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:10 pm

oh man, I'm so out of touch ... sorry.  Let us know how you get on, I have a bit of a project going on too. :D

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:10 pm

You could try Andy Culpin at RaceFX in Henderson. He has all of the gear and I have done work for him in the past. (When I was in between jobs)

Growler.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”