Kiwi DYI Turbo setups

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Kiwi DYI Turbo setups

Post by Miatamad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:37 am

As most of you will know from the email list - I am slowly working towards becoming boosted (in fact now I have all the parts and its just a matter of the fabrication). I know its taken a while - every time I get the $$$ my wife spends it. This weekend my intercooler piping turned into new curtians for th lounge!

Anyway my question is how many people here have actually have turboed MX5's. Of those who do who has a kit (HKS, Flyin Miata) and who has whipped one up themselves?

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Kiwi DYI Turbo setups

Post by jif » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Mine's a DIY (except I didn't do much wrenching myself) - MiataLink, ACT clutch, GTX turbo.  Did it when I was still single and carefree :]

[Posted via External Email]

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:57 pm

Did mine myself too. Using a T28 off a Nissan Pulsar GTIR, locally manufactured exhaust manifold, VR4 intercooler, Wiseco forged pistons, billet steel 5kg flywheel, Mazdaspeed paddle clutch, MiataLink, 440cc injectors, Evo fuel pump and Koyo aluminium radiator.

If I were to believe the dyno (which I don't) I've got 235bhp at 6000 rpm at the wheels.

Keith

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Keith - what boost are you running and do you believe that the HP figure is high or low?

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:26 pm

i made up the whole kit from scratch by myself...had a freind weld the manifold but otherwise all fabbed by myself.
Im ruuning a subaru legacy VF10 turbo, Greddy "e manage" piggy back computor to control fuel and timing, Mazda GTX 330cc injectors and a junkyard Isuzu intercooler, ...Oh and a 2.5" exhaust which has netted me 192 Rear wheel horse power at 7.25psi..(i think the dyno was a little optimistic, and i think it maybe closer to 180RWHP based on how much fuel im putting in to it.)If i wind up the boost to about 9-10 psi 200-210RWHP will be acheivable..
200RWHP in an mx5 is plenty fast enough especially in a 1600 with small brakes!!! Any more than 200RWHP starts to upset the balance of the car .
i think my car domain site is in my signature so go take a look....
http://miata.cardomain.com/ride/264041/6

Oh BTW what parts do you currently have for your kit????
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Miatamad

What parts?

Post by Miatamad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 pm

Its been a while so I will try to remember.

460 CC Injectors
HKS Cast manifold
t-28 Hybrid turbo (rebuilt)
FlyinMiata ECU with Knock sensor
Electronic boost control (Link)
Evo VII Intercooler
Greddy type RS BOV

Lightened 1.8 flywheel

Just working out what wideband controller to buy - currently leaning to the innovate LC-1

C

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:53 pm

thats some good gear you got there....youll easily be in the 220+RWHP league with that lot....heres a hint though...get it running first without the link boost control as ive heard its a real pain to get it set up right. Maybe some of the other link users could give you some starters to get it right.
The turbo'd five group has got very large in the last year..must have at least doubled the numbers of boosted fives tearing around.
All you need now is a clutch.... i recommend something that is totally overkill for what you think you might need like a ACT extreme or the aussie "xtreme" clutch with a ceramic disc.
RED '90 TURBO.

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks - I'm aiming for 250 RWHP (mmmmmm 250 rwhp droools).

Im looking for clutches at the moment - Going to give Don (at Autoway?) a call. I was thinking of sticking to something strong but organic to keep it at least a little drivable.

Thanks for the heads up on the Boost controller - more problems I do not need. Any one out there using one please let me know how you got on.

C

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:13 pm

i got my clutch through Don at autoways, its an aussie "xtreme" clutch with a 700kg pressure plate and a full face "stock"disc, its holding ok at my power levels but i think itll slip at 250HP, you may need to use the same 700kg plate with a 6 puck ceramic disc or a kevlar one to hold it. dont worry about the heavy pressure plate...my granny could drive it as its only slightly heavier than stock.
RED '90 TURBO.

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:28 pm

SLYDIT, Thanks for the advise. I'll be giving Don a call once the $$$ comes in from some goodies sold on trademe.

C

mx5mike
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Kiwi DYI Turbo setups

Post by mx5mike » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:23 pm

Mines a FMII kit on a 1990 MK1.  I did install it myself though :)

Mike.

Sent: Monday, 10 July 2006 10:38 a.m.
To: horsepower@mx5forum.co.nz
Subject: [MX5Power] Kiwi DYI Turbo setups

As most of you will know from the email list - I am slowly working towards becoming boosted (in fact now I have all the parts and its just a matter of the fabrication). I know its taken a while - every time I get the $$$ my wife spends it. This weekend my intercooler piping turned into new curtians for th lounge!

Anyway my question is how many people here have actually have turboed MX5's. Of those who do who has a kit (HKS, Flyin Miata) and who has whipped one up themselves?

---------------------------------------------
Sent from an mx5forum.co.nz topic here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?p=12221#12221
---------------------------------------------

--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.10/383 - Release Date: 7/07/2006

[Posted via External Email]

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”