Replacement engine project: V8

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Greetings all,

I remember seeing pix not long ago of a 5L Mustang engine in an MX5.

Ive also seen a 4L Lexus V8 thrown in one too...

I myself would love to undertake this project soon, looking for somebody to talk to about it.

Right now Im thinkin a small-block Ford V8 would be the way to go. Initially was thinking the Soarer engine or the likes, but there would be a plethora more replacement mods for the ford AFAIK once Ive actually comlpleted the project and would be looking to further mod it for performance. Just thinking ahead...

Problem is Im not really too sure where to start or who to speak with. Any chance somebody can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Josiah
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:20 pm

have you seen this section of the big forum?
http://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38

I'll take a lexus v8 with IRTBs... yum :]

[Posted via External Email]

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:36 am

XPECTD said on 07/05/2006 08:53 PM:
Problem is Im not really too sure where to start or who to speak with.
Any chance somebody can point me in the right direction?
There are a bunch of V8 enthusiasts in the Christchurch MX5 Club, you
could start there.

cheers
--
(z)

[Posted via External Email]

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:24 am

Yeah, had a look through the miata.net forums, theres a _lot_ of other people out there who've thrown V8's into MX5's.

Christchurch sounds good, would be happy to, however if there's somebody who's done it around Auckland and can recommend the likes of somewhere to get Engine Mounts etc that'd be awesome.

S'pose this would be a good opportunity for me to join the MX5club too (Provided there's nothing against me being stickered up with LnD at the same time).

Thanks for the quick responses :)

Joe
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Michael Cotter in ChCh is doing a Lexus V8 and his son is doing a Ford V8 - must be something in the water. Even his wife's MX5 has been played with!!!!
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Go with a lexus V8, they are far lighter and cheaper than a good condition 302 ford V8, theres a guy on trade me who sells lexus v8s and clutches and all sorts of bits for them. a stock lexus with nice engine management will offer better performance than an old skool pushrod v8.
Or you could look at using a rover V8 from a landrover discovery. theres a guy in the english club who bought a BRAND NEW NB and put one in it..very nice!
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:17 pm

But why would you bother?

MX5s handle 200bhp ok, then its g'box, rear end, etc etc.

The MX5 V8 at Ruapuna recently (by all reports) did slower lap times than an MGB!!!! - The finished product looks amazing (as showcased in NZ Classic Car Mag recently) - but show does not necessarily = go! (or in this case, other than in a straight line)

Other than a turbo or supercharger option, only transplant I personally would consider would be using a RX7 series 5 turbo rotary. - 200 bhp out of the box, manageable torque using 1.8 diff or similar' and good weight distribution.
At least you could then still say you had a Mazda!!

Cheers.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Carinosa
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Best V8 Option

Post by Carinosa » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:56 am

How about that one that make out of 2 Suzuki Hayabusa engines, 2.6 litre 300+ BHP and very light!

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Re: Replacement engine project: V8

Post by Stevo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:12 am

I'm also interested to learn a bit more about this transplant but only with the Lexus V8. These should have ample power and make all the right noises without too much weight gain.
There are 1 or 2 that post on here occassionally such as MX4000 and 1UZFE is intending to do the conversion shortly and he's in Auckland. I have been googling them recently and there is plenty of info on the net. Cheers Stevo
:)
XPECTD wrote:Greetings all,

I remember seeing pix not long ago of a 5L Mustang engine in an MX5.

Ive also seen a 4L Lexus V8 thrown in one too...

I myself would love to undertake this project soon, looking for somebody to talk to about it.

Right now Im thinkin a small-block Ford V8 would be the way to go. Initially was thinking the Soarer engine or the likes, but there would be a plethora more replacement mods for the ford AFAIK once Ive actually comlpleted the project and would be looking to further mod it for performance. Just thinking ahead...

Problem is Im not really too sure where to start or who to speak with. Any chance somebody can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Josiah
98 NB Evolution Orange

Mx5.7
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Mx5.7 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:14 am

Hi All, Just thought that I would put my 2 cents worth in...Im putting a 400 sbc and 350 turbo trans into my NA.... Ive just installed a Mustang 7.5 Diff head and mustang axles ( should be good for around 600hp.... and if I do start breaking axles ... at least you can get custom axles made up )and have started to mock up engine and trans ... the whole conversion could be as quick as 4 - 6 weeks ( all depends on skill and motorvational levels.)

I did try to put up some pics of mine but they were too big :(
Cheers

John

NA 400sbc, Turbo 350, 7.5"Mustang Diff

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”