Interesting F1 Turbo Video / Stuff

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Interesting F1 Turbo Video / Stuff

Post by Angreal » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Last edited by Angreal on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 pm

nice find!
fascinating stuff!

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 am

Thought I'd copy and shove this here since it's F1 related
I know that in F1 this year that some teams are using a split turbo which means the intake air isn't cooked by the exhaust heat which in turn means smaller intercoolers and less weight, as well as shorter intake paths. Pretty awesome technology... Next year all teams will likely go with split turbos since it's logical.

Mercedes are very interesting though and use air-water-air intercoolers which keeps the design compact and intake paths shorter again, and since water has a higher thermal capacity than air which is great for absorbing heat it means they can run a small radiator in their side pod for the intercooler which is located above the drivers head inside the intake. All F1 teams have intercoolers though, just some teams are a lot more refined with their designs.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/racing-n ... -packaging
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1179.html

built4speed
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by built4speed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am

The split turbo opens up the way for a non direct drive turbine shaft, gearbox on the turbine shaft, no lag huge top end

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am

built4speed wrote:The split turbo opens up the way for a non direct drive turbine shaft, gearbox on the turbine shaft, no lag huge top end
Quite glad that F1 got into FI. The implications of massive R&D in the turbo field (realistically the only way to get fuel economy, power and small lightweight engine units) are going to be awesome :D

Bring on the 2020 prius 8)

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:14 pm

built4speed wrote:The split turbo opens up the way for a non direct drive turbine shaft, gearbox on the turbine shaft, no lag huge top end
Why would that be of benefit though? You'd introduce transmission losses and complexity over a simple direct shaft from the turbine to compressor.
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

built4speed
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by built4speed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Timmo wrote:
Why would that be of benefit though? You'd introduce transmission losses and complexity over a simple direct shaft from the turbine to compressor.
Im no F1 engineer but in my evo to get the top end i needed such a large compressor turbine combo that it had nothing below 3.5k. If you could gear it so 1 turbine revolution gave 2 compressor revolutions or something along those lines it would be awesome. I am just surmising tho, no research behind it.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 pm

F1 already had worked out the fact that they could actually have LESS pressure on the turbine side than the pressure side! thats a bit of voodo magic right there. most turbos have 1.5-2 times turbine inlet pressure VS boost pressure
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”