What you got?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Fletch
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

What you got?

Post by Fletch » Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 am

Seeing as this power-mods forum is completely empty, I thought I'd start the ball rolling, and just ask... what have you done to your MX-5 to increase its power, how much does it have (if known), and are you happy with it....

I've been slowly doing normally aspirated mods to my '90 since shortly after I got it ten years ago....

I now have.... K&N cone filter on standard-cross-over tube going into an enlarged throttle-body, ported/gasket matched head, custom cams, adjustabloe cam gears, Link ECU (running Flyin Miata software), a Jackson Racing header, and did have a Jackson Racing exhaust and muffler until it died and I've re-fitted the stock one due to lack of funds...

The bottom end has been re-built (by myself) with balanced (but stock) pistons/rods/crank/flywheel.

Its making an estimated 25-30 HP more than stock, and I love it...

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

Anthug
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Anthug » Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 am

Hi Fletch and NZ MX5ers,

As a work in progress (it always is) the mods I have made to my 5 include:

Link ECU (also FM software)
Rebuilt & ported head - DIY
Rebuilt block, std pistons, shot peened rods, all balanced
Turbo
Innovative Wideband O2
Uprated clutch
KYB AGX adjustable shocks and Eibach lowered springs
Wheels/tyres

As a work in progress and as funds permit the wish lists looks like: :roll:

Intercooler (to be fitted)
Bigger brakes (to be fitted)
Poly bushes for swaybars
Plus more when i can remember them...... :lol:

I am still getting used to the boost on the car and touching up the tuning on the Link.

Regards,

Anthony.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/600250

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Fri May 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Piggy back ECU from "Japanese Racing systems".

And apart from that stock :D

The car was put on a dyno after the ECU and was putting out 149 hp @ 7K :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

russellsmithies
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by russellsmithies » Fri May 19, 2006 7:56 pm

I've just bought a red 1989 1.6 with a Sebring Supercharger. Has water injection and a knock sensor for when the boost gets too good (or the fuel quality gets too low) It has an LSD and adjustable Konis all round. Sits on 15" TSW mags with 205/50R15 Michelins.
Drove it back from Wellington (to Outram) overnight about 3 weeks ago. It's a fairly tidy car and came with a full history of all work done to it over the last 3 years!

petercristina
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

piggy back ECU

Post by petercristina » Sat May 20, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi,
just have a cone filter and a airscoop under the radiator liked to a tube which runs up to the filter.
Was looking at the piggy back ECU's. Anyone used this one?
http://www.speedydelivery.co.uk/car-tun ... mx-5.shtml
Peter Garrity
Wellington

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 21, 2006 7:14 pm

Im running a custom built (by me) turbo kit using...
custom "weld el" steam pipe turbo manifold.
subaru vf10 turbo from a legacy GT
Mazda GTX 330cc injectors
modified fuel rail to "dual feed"
Greddy emanage piggy back ECU for fuel and timing control
RX7 air flow meter.
Isuzu intercooler.
1800 flywheel with a 700kg pressure plate and stock disc.
custom built dump pipe and 2.5" exhaust

recorded 142Kw at the wheels on the dyno. ran out of time on the dyno so had to stop there, still has lots more boost to come as soon as i sort out this gearbox.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Miatamad

Wot I got?

Post by Miatamad » Mon May 22, 2006 10:27 am

Stiffening: Brainstorm sub-frame bracing front and rear. 1/2 cage MANZ rollcage on rear.

Suspension: Koni sport adjustables all round with King preformance springs

Stopping: Upgraded to 1.8 brakes and new Brembo rotors

Fuel management: Full replacement FM Link ECU (with the FM software - not links)

Engine: Moved from MAF to MAP, dropped the air box and moved to cone filter. Installed temp and Knock sensors.

Other: HKS Supper dragger s/steel Muffler (not a crappy tin can like the boy races) - Love the sound. Have removed most of what can be taken out to "add lightness".

Sitting in my garage waiting to be installed:
t-28 Hybrid turbo
460cc fuel injectors
Evo VII Intercooler
Greddy type RS BOV
1.8 lightened flywheel

Needing to buy - New clutch to match with the flywheel, and probally a RX7 diff to hold the power - I'm guessing that the current one wont last that long. :twisted:

MN

Post by MN » Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

Basically nothing on my '90 except for the front and rear suspension braces, full roll cage, Koni adjustables, Mintex racing pads and 205 x 50 x 15 tyres. A cone filter is the next scheduled addition but it desperately needs more power but $$ or lack of dictate what and when. :(

I use the car for tarmac rallying, dual sprints etc. I was planning to upgrade to the larger brakes but the Mintex pads and the tyres (Formula R's) are so good it doesn't need them - I wouldn't brake any later anyway.

The Formula R's are easily the best tyre I have ever used, as they should be being road legal race tyres but they are a bit noisey. :D

Interestingly with all the suspension bracing and the roll cage I haven't noticed one iota of difference in the handling but what I have noticed is the amount of longitudinal movement in the car. The corners of the front roll hoop are about 3mm away from the windscreen surround and hammering it through a special stage you can hear the 2 making contact so stiffening longitudinally is something I need to think about - any ideas??
cheers,

Mark

Miatamad

Post by Miatamad » Wed May 24, 2006 12:07 pm

MN - Depends on the amount of $$$ that you want to spend - FM have a butterfly brace that sounds awesome - see flyinmiata.com

MN

Post by MN » Wed May 24, 2006 6:19 pm

Ooops sorry got off topic a bit with my non-motor comments.

Fletch what sequence have you done your mods and did anything give you a real step lift in performance? What cams have you?

I've been told the Link is well worthwhile and with cams, cone filter and headers will give most of the increase.
cheers,

Mark

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

another darksider...

Post by jif » Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 pm

hi all

I started on the NA mods... cone filter, Apexi header, Mazdaspeed exhaust, timing bump - all good but barely registered on the seat-of-the-pants (SOTP) dyno

Chucked it all in a bought Steve's old turbo setup (GTX VJ20 turbo) with a Link, rx7 injectors, kevlar clutch etc. Quite a bit quicker now, like a rolling skidfest :D

Still have an Sti VF23, AEM wideband, and torsen to install... :twisted:

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Thu May 25, 2006 11:52 pm

The owner before me tried to take it in to be tuned after the flywheel was lightened and the bigger exhaust installed.

Apparently there was a communication error with the ECU though, so until I know what to do there I cant see terribly many performance mods happening.

The basic things otherwise, like a POD Filter, hopefully soon a cold air-box (how much difference does it really make?), Spark plugs / leads, although the Stilettos are heavier and larger making it slower off the mark :(
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri May 26, 2006 2:56 pm

MN wrote:Fletch what sequence have you done your mods and did anything give you a real step lift in performance? What cams have you?
Ok... a long time ago, in a land far far away....

For quite a while, I had just Jackson Racing Header and cat-back, and a greddy foam-cone intake filter. At that time, my car dynod 81HP at the same time as a stock one (that was burning a little oil) dynoed 72HP.

Then, I had the head-porting/planing done, and ran it with the stock ECU for a year or two.

Later, I got cams custom ground by Franklin Cam Services (in Pukekohe), based on my head-flow numbers. I installed a Link ECU at this time.

In this formation, its been dynod at 105HP.

Since then, I did more playing with the link, and managed to increase that by about 5-10 HP according to software calculations, but not confirmed by dyno.

At this stage, it was quite peaky... coming on strong at high RPM, but actually pretty gut-less at low-mid RPM. Not fun for a daily driver.

Then I got adjustable cam gears.(and an enlrganed throttle-body) By advancing the cams, I've fattened up the low/midrange quite a bit, without losing too much at the top. Software suggesting 110-113HP?

Unfortunately, 6-months ago, the Jackson Muffler had some internal welds break, and I've had to re-fit the OEM muffler/exhaust, and lost 5HP in the process. I intend to replace it with a custom job next time I can get $400 together for the car. (I've become married with kids since this project started a decade ago, and non-essential funds are less forthcoming than they used to be :) )

As an aside, I ran the Link ECU with Links own software for a couple of weeks before getting the chip from Flyin Miata..... The FM software is far superior, and when spending that much on the ECU, the extra couple hundred $$ for the FM softwaer and temp sensor is WELL WORTHWHILE.

Cams without an ECU, is not a good idea, and an ECU on its own wont gain you much, but together... I've been very pleased. But its not cheap.
And its still no monster... its got a nice rush at high RPM, but not the huge kick in the back of a turbo..

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

MN

Post by MN » Fri May 26, 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks for the information Fletch.

My '90 NA converts to the wife's daily runabout during the summer (roll cage, seats, belts and tyres out) but becomes mine again in the autumn for the rally and clubmen's racing season. So any engine mods need to be OK for her. Although F/I would be nice the upfront cost is also too much so something progressive as you've done has the attraction.
cheers,

Mark

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sat May 27, 2006 10:07 am

if you want more N/a grunt without rebuilding your engine then i strongly suggest buying a 98+ NB 1800 engine as they have much better heads in them and make great power compared to a "built" 1600.
lots of guys are running thier clubman cars with them with great results.(im sure okibi will back me up here)
an NB 1800 along with Suzuki individual throttle bodies and link ecu would be a sceamer.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

vmansmx5
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by vmansmx5 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Heres most of what i have done to my 1993 mx5
Engine Parts:
Oil Hose, 3 piece radiator hose, PCV valve for turbo, Boost Controller, Magnetic oil sump plug, Modified rockercover, Greddy radiator cap & Simota oil cap, Oil adapt sandwich,
Internals:
Adjustable cam gears, Gates timing belt,
Induction:
Torn 450HP T04E Turbo, Torn pod filter, Front mounted intercooler, Twin trumpet adjustable blow off valve, Red FlexTech silicone joiners used for induction piping,
Injection:
Walbro 500hp Fuel pump, Modified fuel rail, Rising rate fuel pressure regulator, New fuel filter,
Ignition:
Magnecor 8.5mm spark plug wires, NGK Spark plugs, MSD ignition boost retard,
Engine Management:
MAP-ECU,
Exhaust:
T4 Turbo manifold, 38mm Tial style wastegate 7PSI spring, Dump pipe, 2-inch mandrel bent system, 4-inch bigbore muffler,

Gearbox:
5speed manual, Shortshifter, Clutch kit 1.8L OEM spec, SPEC 1.8L lightweight aluminium flywheel 8lb 3.63Kg,
Differential:
LSD,
Brakes:
New stock rotors,
Suspension:
Jamex lowered springs, Engine bay Strutbrace, Front lower suspension brace,
Wheels/Tyres:
17x7 White Advanti Racing SA15 wheels, Kingstar tyres,
Interior:
Sports steering wheel, Modified rollcage, RPS Racing seats,
Gauges:
Speco tachometer, volt, Oil temp, Air fuel ratio, Boost, Super mini turbo timer, Exhaust temp, Water temp, Oil press,
Exterior:
VS Bodykit modified back bumper, Twin GT Wing, :D
VMAN

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”