Aftermarket Headers

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

halberd
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Aftermarket Headers

Post by halberd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:40 pm

I've got an extra bit of cash floating around and wouldn't mind getting hold of some, but;

Is the difference over the stock headers worth it?
Are the cheap one's crap?
Are they a nightmare to install?
What should I look out for when I'm buying them? (I've seen the thread about the 4-wire O2 sensors, I know I'll need to that probably)

I really know nothing about exhaust systems, so cheers in advance for the advice guys
'91 Eunos Roadster

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 pm

I would advise that you stay away from cheap ebay/trademe ones. I had some cheap ones and they kept splitting and getting rewelded over and over until I stumbled across some quality ones. Also, do NOT wrap them with heat wrap, they will corrode and give problems. If you want to keep the heat down then coat them with hpc.

Regarding the difference, I remember that it felt noticeably more rev friendly, and more audible, especially when the cat was removed. Should be more noticeably with forced induction.

If I was you I'd try get a quality second hand set from Japan via yahoo auctions or one of the many guys on the forum.

halberd

Post by halberd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Angreal wrote:I would advise that you stay away from cheap ebay/trademe ones. I had some cheap ones and they kept splitting and getting rewelded over and over until I stumbled across some quality ones. Also, do NOT wrap them with heat wrap, they will corrode and give problems. If you want to keep the heat down then coat them with hpc.

Regarding the difference, I remember that it felt noticeably more rev friendly, and more audible, especially when the cat was removed. Should be more noticeably with forced induction.

If I was you I'd try get a quality second hand set from Japan via yahoo auctions or one of the many guys on the forum.
Ok sweet, thanks for your help!
'91 Eunos Roadster

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:18 pm

you need to buy a heated oxygen sensor when fitting extractors so add that to the install cost too.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”