Tuning and Daughter boards

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Tuning and Daughter boards

Post by r3spct » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I tuned my car the other night by adjusting the preload on the spring for the air flow meter, made a fairly substantial difference, used a wide band O2 sensor and leaned it out by 8 clicks.

Also i am talking to a supplier in Japan for daughter boards which will make the factory ecu tunable. I am currently waiting on details, mostly if he can supply bin files and address files to suit his boards, as a few people around the world have gotten JDM cars with GRID branded boards, but so far no one has been able to crack the code for them.

If so i should be able to get the boards for 140ish each, and then it will just be a matter of playing with one to see what can be remapped, fuel and ignition maps should be easy, and upgrade injectors, just depends what can be done with the stock AFM, if the tune can be remapped for different meters.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:56 pm

have you tried the clock crystal mod on your ecu? leans out the car by 10% and removes the rev limiter
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Ive heard of it, no idea what it is and google hasnt come up with a how to, and tbh, the car is pretty well out of puff by redline, and mine does seem to rev past the redline, although ive not hit the limiter as it runs out of power up there anyway,

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Don at Autoways in Hamilton does it,Going to get mine done,You just need to get your ECU to him.
I'm just going to grab one from work stock,send and get it back and swap it over,Just got make sure numbers are matching and has come out of a good car in the first place which i know is all good.

Denz
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Denz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 am

Can I ask how much this is? Worth it on a stock engine?

mazline
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by mazline » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Around $150 i think,He seems to think so,lifts the rev limiter to 8000rpm and leans it out at the top,Let you know when mines done,sent it today.
Give him a ring and check it out,he is fairly knowledgeable on these cars
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 pm

I find with mine, even tho its now running high 12's AFR at 7000 ish, it starts to flatten out in power, i cant really see why you would want to rev to 8k all the time.

Got a daughter board coming to try anyway, proper tunable fuel and ignition maps, rescalable injectors, possibly afm swap to rx7? should all be possible, and then might try a turbo.

Ive done a fair bit of tuning, daughter boards in stock ecus, links etc, and ive modified my fair share of Nissan engines, both NA and turbo. It just doesnt seem a good engine to rev hard to me, at least not without a super light flywheel, maybe some decent headers and exhaust and some cams and compression.

mazline

Post by mazline » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Of course you wouldn't run 8000rpm all the time,but for the money it's nice to know can if you need to and not stuff the motor.
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:52 pm

r3spct, I know you were pretty much the resident daughterboard tuner on NZPCC back when i was a lurker.

I'd be keen as to get in on a group buy for a daughterboard if your one ends up working out OK.
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah, will be interesting to see how they work out. Im not sure what the software will be, if it similar to the nissan stuff and uses the same style of tuning.

Old DOHC Turbo mazdas had a fairly basic ecu, fuel only, looks like the mx5 one is a little better.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Whats the limiting factor in power propagation up high generally with the Mx5 engines?

Fuel flow/injectors?
Cams?
ECU?
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:29 pm

The heads don't flow all that well, I'd say that's the main issue with top end performance.
Cool sunroof bro...

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Got my Autoways ECU back ,not bad turn around,sent Thursday and back this morning,Just got to get in and find out how it's drives,I know not as flash as others,but hey for a $150.00 and done with no retuning,can't beat that for a quick fix,For a fairly standard car,gives you bit extra when you need it.

Denz

Post by Denz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 am

I visited Don today and he said he had sent it back to you already, I was looking at getting it, turns out someone has already set the timing to 14degrees and I didnt need the extra redline so I flagged it. Im pretty impressed he checked first i'll recommend him to anyone.

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Well fitted it today at work ,It feels "fatter/Beefer " down low,Might be a torque increase ,not sure,Seat of the pants driving says so.
With the light flywheel i have feels better for the increased rev's.
Worthwhile stopgap measure until you can afford a flasher setup

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 am

r3spect........do you know anyone that can set up my AFM???? I have a rx7 one installed and would love to get it adjusted correctly. Lokking for a weekend job????? maybe?????
warrior

aidwano
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by aidwano » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 am

warrior wrote:r3spect........do you know anyone that can set up my AFM???? I have a rx7 one installed and would love to get it adjusted correctly. Lokking for a weekend job????? maybe?????
I just hooked a multimeter in the car to the oxy sensor and drove round. Checked the numbers for the stock afm then clicked the rx7 to be similar (slightly leaner). Easy as.

Below 2k rpm power is probably worse, midrange no change, but top end freed up to redline. (I have mild cams and slight port work done too, so I'm not sure if the stock motor would respond the same).

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 am

can have a look. I use a wideband oxygen sensor.

contact me 0210634169

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:22 pm

the mx5 ecu system is basically a bosch K/L jetronic system that was popular in the early 80's
as far as i know it was the last car to use it. the reason they used it was because it was a cheap system, and after all ,the mx5was all about cheap/fun.
that has its good and bad points...its old enought to be easiiiiy fooled and tweaked, but too old to be rewrtten/flashed easily like the much much superior honda ECU's.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 pm

I can get tuning boards and software from japan for maybe 120 cost. not sure what can be changed but injector size, maf, fuel and it maps would seem likely.

Denz

Post by Denz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:18 am

Would this be good enough to run some boost? ^

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am

yes they should be good. I'm not sure on the stock afm but I know the stock injectors van handle boost. I've just got a whole lot of Nissan boards in, was going to try get a mx5 one but changed plans for my car.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”