Question about fitting exhaust systems

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 pm

You're more likely to lose power than gain anything by fitting a pod filter. Keep your factory air filter clean and in good nick, and stick with the factory airbox unless you're specifically tuning for changes you make to the intake.

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 pm

I can't comment on a pod filter sorry, but my one sounds really grunty with a Jackson Racing CAI.

My friend who drives a Mitsi FTO GPX even commented on it, and the 2L V6 he has sounds out of this world.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 pm

My one definitely has a good intake noise. Potentially it may have lost some power but it sounds better and it was never fast to begin with. Forced induction will solve that problem one day though

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 am

My pod filter makes it sound slightly better but no difference in power output at all

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

Mine sounds great too, made a cold air box with a old air feed from the headlight......mine does go better than stock but gets cold air all the time while moving
warrior

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:56 am

Any difference, whether gain or loss, will be minimal, but there have been several independent dyno tests between factory airbox, pod filter and factory airbox with panel filter showing no gain at best, and minor loss at worst. There was a good video on this by those two guys on that Australian car TV show... back to back dyno tests with both forced induction and naturally aspirated.

Intakes like the Jackson Racing or the Randall cowl intake will have their own differences, too. I'm naturally suspect of anyone who claims "minor improvement" or "no power gain, but also no loss and with better sound" without dyno results, though :P

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am

im not worried about extra power atm, i know these engines are limited and turbo is the only way to guaranteed power, i just find it sounds unsporting, an intake roar would be nice, will make a pod adaptor and maybe a cold air feed and see.

On another note, adjusted thr afm yesterday, leaned it heaps and is now running low 15's at light cruise, and around 12.8 at full load, although to be fair it was raining and i didnt get a full chance to test it everywhere,clearly has a lot more mid range and less flat off line. i used a wideband sensor, happy to help anyone else who wants to do it.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:59 pm

r3spct wrote:i know these engines are limited and turbo is the only way to guaranteed power
I'll have to prove you wrong when some day in the distant future I put a supercharger on the car 8) I guess I'll be in the minority although not as small a minority as ITBs and NA power.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

you need a cold air box like this:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/264041/19 ... 2640410048

:P yes it works. i tested it with my thermocouple
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”