Crime number 4 in "POSTING ETTIQUITE"

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

41south
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 41south » Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi all,
Just a note about the above rule. It's no biggie, I just got 'pinged' for breaching the "Top posting and overquoting" rule. :shock: :lol:
If you are replying to a forum discussion by email this appears to happen automatically. I have replied back to the moderator asking that the software be fine tuned a little to reflect the above rule. 8)
Just thought I would pass it on to all who use the email method to reply, that they may get caught too. I know I'm not the only one to get pinged, and I'm sure it will get sorted shortly. :wink:
Colin

Silver 1992 NA
DCE973

Fletch
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Fletch » Thu May 25, 2006 3:39 pm

Personally, I prefer top-posting to bottom-posting.... but he who owns the board make the rules... so be it.

But I think you'll find, that if you're using e-mail to access the board.... then its probably more to do with the settings of your own email client, rather than what Howards done at the web-based-end that dictates where your replies automatically start?

And either way, its not hard to over-ride that automatic-ness... simply move your cursor before typing... :)

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

41south

Post by 41south » Thu May 25, 2006 3:47 pm

41south wrote:
Hi all,
Just a note about the above rule. It's no biggie, I just got 'pinged' for breaching the "Top posting and overquoting" rule. :shock: :lol:
If you are replying to a forum discussion by email this appears to happen automatically. I have replied back to the moderator asking that the software be fine tuned a little to reflect the above rule. 8)
Just thought I would pass it on to all who use the email method to reply, that they may get caught too. I know I'm not the only one to get pinged, and I'm sure it will get sorted shortly. :wink:

Colin

Silver 1992 NA
DCE973

Hello again all,

Hopefully this reply is properly formatted ;-) . With help from Karl I think we have found the culprit. I am using Mozilla Thunderbird as an email client and am receiving forum messages as html. I'm not sure that the html part has much to with it, but by default my reply quotes the email and places my reply above the quote. I have changed my client to place the quote above the reply by going to Tools/Account settings and in the section marked Composition and addressing set "start my reply below the quote". Other email clients may have similar settings.

I am thinking that for forum use I should in fact delete the quote in the reply all together, as it's usually not needed at all.

Thanks again to Karl for his help on this. Great moderation !

Cheers all.

P.S. My apologies to the forum Admins and designer for jumping to the conclusion that it was a forum software problem - typical techie :roll:
Colin

Silver 1992 NA
DCE973

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Crime number 4 in "POSTING ETTIQUITE"

Post by zorruno » Thu May 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi 41South, man those moderators are harsh!!!

Actually, the mods are just finding their feet at the moment on this new forum, so I trust you're not too upset at being told off! (Sounds like you aren't though...)

When an email is sent, everything you send (including all the previously quoted text, forwards, virus sigs, company sigs, legal warnings etc etc) will ALL be posted on the forum in the exact order you sent them. If you don't trim, or tidy up your post, the forum can look very very messy.
41south wrote:If you are replying to a forum discussion by email this appears to happen automatically.
Actually it is your email program that sets this. With most sensible email programs you can set it to reply 'under the previous text' (bottom posting) or at the top (top posting). You can always just click to move your cursor elsewhere though if you can't set the default.

It is almost a religion between computer people about the merits of top vs bottom posting... but on a forum, in order to line up the conversation properly, bottom posting is the only one that looks sensible - and that means if you are externally emailing the forum, you should really bottom post.

Another easy way to be sure, is not bothering with quoting at all. When you receive an email, click reply, then delete all the previous text before you type. That way there will be no untidy quoting, and remember in the forum all the previous posts line up nicely above yours.
41south wrote:I have replied back to the moderator asking that the software be fine tuned a little to reflect the above rule.
Unfortunately, to get email and a forum combined is a huge programming task, and the m2f plugin we have used is pretty good, but still has its limits. It really cannot convert a whole email into a perfect forum post - it is impossible. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks though - I'd never have set up a forum if people couldn't use email with it.

You'll see the results of some of the untidy posts in this forum - they all come from external emails. This shows why posts need to be tidied.

By the way, nobody is going to be kicked off this forum for untidy posts - unless people really make no effort to keep the place tidy in the future. We also know that not everyone in the MX5 community are computer gurus... (most are more interested in driving than sitting by a PC!) so people will need a while to get used to the new system, and learn how it all works.

Thanks heaps for your post, and maybe I might try and put some examples or a help page somewhere in the future to help people understand why posts need to be tidied and bottom posting used.

cheers
(z)

41south

Post by 41south » Thu May 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Hi Z

No, I'm not at all upset :D I think the email software side of the forum as brilliant. For me it mixes the convenience of the email "list" with the great things a forum can provide. But I see now what you mean about it making the forum messy.

Therefore as an email 'poster' I must also offer my services as a moderator/ tidier upper if required. I always say, if I make a mess I should tidy up after myself. :lol: So if you are short helpers, please let me know.
Colin

Silver 1992 NA
DCE973

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu May 25, 2006 6:10 pm

41south wrote:Therefore as an email 'poster' I must also offer my services as a moderator/ tidier upper if required. I always say, if I make a mess I should tidy up after myself. :lol: So if you are short helpers, please let me know.
Thanks - we should have enough mods at this very second, (and a couple of others have asked to help), but it is very likely I'll require more mods as the forum gets bigger, so I'll keep in touch... and please don't let this stop anyone else offering assistance at this stage... flick me an email/message if you can help with anything. The more offers the better for when we get bigger :)

cheers
(z)

Return to “Off Topic Chat”