"ROLL BARS" on trade me

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

"ROLL BARS" on trade me

Post by warrior » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:34 pm

There are two "ROLL BARS" for sale on trade me at the moment and NEITHER of them ARE roll bars. I hope no one on here would be silly enough to sell a style bar and try and pass it off as a roll bar.

If it is someone on this forum selling them PLEASE sell them for what they are because someone could get hurt (or worse) if they think they have a strong roll bar when in fact they don't.

Sorry hope this does not come across as a rant, just don't want to see someone get hurt. :D
warrior

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:54 pm

yeah, its quite common for people to mistake style bars for something more substantial.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm

The thing is if they are being sold as a ROLL BAR and they are not then that is very dangerous. A lot of people don't know what and what is not a roll bar
warrior

dylann
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dylann » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I'd say most owners would be buying the "rollbars" for styling rather than the actual rollover protection.

Anyone actually considering the rollover protection of a bolt in cage surely would consider getting a proper weld in one, due to the huge markup on rollbars in nz it usually comes out with a similar price anyway.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 am

^ Correct.

Warrior. I have Pm'd you.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am

So as I said Chris THEY ARE NOT ROLL BARS either of them. They should be sold for what they are. Regardless of people that don't know any better think they are.
And thanks for the private message that you could of posted on here.
warrior

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 am

It depends what you want rollover protection for. A decent bolt-in structure will offer protection for road and light track use, but this can't be homologated by MSNZ for motorsport use.

(Unlike in Australia, where CAMS is somewhat more lenient on safety structures than MSNZ and permits bolt-in safety cages for non-international events, as well as permitting a half-cage for racing open sports cars)

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:27 am

Look Chris I just want to clear this up before it gets into something it does not need to be.

I have nothing against you or your farther and I did not intend to piss either of you off, I did not know the roll bar was your farthers, how could I?

I never said for a minute that the price for the roll bar he is asking is overpriced, in fact it is a very fair price but.

What I did say is that it should be sold for what it is and it is not a roll bar, it is a style bar. If that comment pisses you off I am sorry about that but it is a fact.

To say if offers some roll over protection is true, but very little.

I was trying to save some one that has no idea from buying something that it was not, this was not targeted at you or your farther.

The fact remains it is not a roll bar that offers any roll over protection, but for a style bar is looks just fine and seems to be priced well.

I wish your farther all the best with the sale and you don't need to attack people every time the disagree with you.

All the best.
warrior

chris

Post by chris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:59 am

But, what you have done Warrior, is completely fuck the sale up for us.

There is still a difference between this and your typical stylebar. If you do not believe me, google it.

You will find that a style bar connects to the seatbelt towers offering 1. no protection and 2. a mouse trap effect in the event of the roll bar.

Tonight I will relist the auction as we don't want comments like your around.

I'm sure you can appreciate this.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:02 pm

I did not intend to Fk up your sale, for that I am sorry.

I only put that comment on there so people knew what it I was and I still stand by what I said.

I wish you all the best with the new listing
warrior

chris

Post by chris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 pm

I will explain on the auction relisting that if they are after complete rollover protection a professional welder will be the best place to go.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Poor Warrior. Welcome to my world love <3

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:11 pm

How could he mess up the sale for you?
If someone is looking for a style bar they will find 2 on trademe for a fair price. All warrior is asking is that you list the style bar as a style bar so as not to fool some naive person into thinking they are safe

You have to think about it as if you were a registered company. If someone bought this style bar off you and had a crash they would take legal action against you for falsely advertising something as a roll bar when in fact it is not

Sorry Chris but everyone has the right to voice their opinion and if you can not settle Queries/Problems with potential customers without getting hostile you will never succeed in business

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I commented on one of them as well. As far as I am concerned. If it cannot be homologated or confirmed by an engineer to survive an accident, it is a style bar. Forget mounting points, forget materials..

If no one can confirm it is worth its weight in gold in a crash, it is for STYLE

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:50 pm

+ ONE FOR YOU SIR
warrior

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:42 pm

I sort of share Warrior's concern about such roll bars, but it's arguing semantics. People can call them whatever they want (roll bar is more visible in searches). That's fine as long as it's clear that it's cosmetic, rather than safety roll protection.

This is a confusing topic and I think there could be some value in compiling an NZ-and-MX5 specific resource for roll protection options (cosmetic, safety, WOF/LVV, trackdays, motorsport regulations) and the trade-offs involved.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”