Roof racks for MX5 / Miata Hard Top

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Roof racks for MX5 / Miata Hard Top

Post by harlansmart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Hey Team,

Did some research & found although Thule & Yakima don't support our HT's in their contemporary lineups Yakima catered for the Miata HT 'back in the day' w/the 1C SST system - me's got da 1C SST towers, stretch kit & most importantly the hard to find essential clips for the towers that fit the HT via a really good seller in the States, who I can put you onto if needed - so, just need cross bars 1 1/8" OD pictured beneath are Yakima OEM X-Bars.

A tad costly to ship from the ConUS, so as an alternative maybe some carbon or glass tube might do just as well as the rubber coated galvanised steel Yakima supply.... am waiting to hear back from Yakima NZL & from a local Yakima outlet also regarding cost/availability.

Any ideas, on the best alternative avenues available for some composite section in 1 1/8" (28.575mm)... the rubber gives grip presumably but there will be alternate ways to allow the towers to clamp effectively composite tubes for sure,

TIA DVP
Attachments
677987601_o.jpg

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:45 pm

alloy tube with electrical heatshrink around it?
also weedeaters use 28mm tube on them and also you can get 28mm exhaust tube. may also be able to spray some "plastidip" on them?
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:56 pm

just a thought...
but maybe get some 25mm broom handles from bunnings and get them wrapped with a layer of fibreglass or carbon fibre?

maybe check out a yachting/marine parts dealer and see what they have available? although pricey, they may carry in stock some nice looking graphite or carbon fibre rods that may suit.

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:03 pm

SteelNorthShore have a good range of tube sizes but as for covering or wrap, well, your going to tie down whatever you carry anyway so I doubt it matters much, just paint, powder coat or CF wrap perhaps.
-actually CF would be cheapest (eBay), easiest (take you 2min) and look the best! 8)
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:20 pm

yip yip yip thats one of the suggestions found by gOOgling the alternatives, I just got a call, but the guy can't tell me if they're NZ$110 or NZ$220 he's got to go away and come back to me... at NZ$110 thats fine, I will buy the OEM rubber coated galvanised steel X-Bars but at $220 I will go upmarket w/Carbon or something...

I mean, this set-up looks alright on the white car.... I dunno about the fairing though, I think maybe a big one custom made for me by 2low2c like on the suby would be better, more sexy & quieter than the OEM Yakima fairings seen in the online stores...

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Right just got a bell from Russell from 'Auckland Canoe & Kayak' & I am buying some 58" OEM X-Bars from him.

I asked about the wind fairings, I prefer the ones like on the suby, maybe they're not available... if they're not available I will ask technical director 2low2c if he can make me something!

Great suggestions guys, but the OEM will have little YAKIMA end caps so will look kosher/JDM etc, though I was looking forward to using Krug Champagne corks or something like that for bling, yeah the OEM X-Bars will be fine... just need the deflector now & Vader will be fully kitted in terms of HT carriage lol.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm

from the angle of the pic, the front fairing looks fine on your mx5 :)

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 pm

You don't prefer the full size fairing as depicted on the suby... I'm thinking on Vader the big black one might look pretty good...

FWIW: I will get the 58" X-bars from Russell at Auckland Canoe & Kayak here in Auckland (bloody good service / response time from this outfit too just BTW) - I agree w/the 48" bars might have been enough, just, but this way we can refine the length to exactly what fits for the best use/looks....

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Yowser!
I fully admit I am a cheap bastard but steel tube would be $20, wrap $7 and 4 end plugs from Bunnings about $3 or free if you got champagne corks from a mate at Harbourside restaurant...

But that's just me, however your OEM ones will fit 1st time & look 100%! So both methods have merit. :lol:
Like the faring on th Scoobie, would look cool on Vader.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Yowser!!

Carbon was going to cost about $160 folding, the galv mild steel w/rubber coating OEM is $110 & we don't have to skull 4 bottle of bubbles.

Yeah that larger wind deflector will have be better in terms of function, it surely must reduce more whistling/wind roar than just the little ones... it can be mounted a teeny bit forward so not to hinder mounting things on the bar and it can cover the tower also - plus it can be covered w/tonnes of stickers too if needed!

I think the bars will look best at around 51-53" having just used some old broom handles here to test.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:12 pm

You don't prefer the full size fairing as depicted on the suby... I'm thinking on Vader the big black one might look pretty good...
I actually thought they were the same size but the one on the '5 was at a sharper angle. I personally prefer the smaller one... I reakon the suby can pull off looking good with the larger one because it's a larger car whilst it may look too big and 'in your face' on the '5.

I would just go with whichever one you are most happy with the look of :)

oh and tomtikki, just FYI bunnings doesn't sell bungs :wink:
we get people asking for rubber plugs and bungs most days and yet we don't stock them. No idea why, we have most other things for DIY.

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:10 am

harlansmart wrote: & we don't have to skull 4 bottle of bubbles.
Well sure, you don't have to but with the birth of the royal baby isn't everyone!
I did while I researched purchasing rubber bung companies as I heard there's a gap in the market. :lol:

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Russell has advised me the suby's wind deflector isn't Yakima OEM but custom... soon as he has my X-Bars I will collect them & I should hopefully be able to have a look at a 52" Yakima OEM wind deflector, if the rest of my bits are here, maybe I can see what it looks like... to be updated.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 am

Awesome - just got a call from Russell, the X-Bars are up there in Auckland already (great service for a NZ business imo) but my other parts are 'a bit held up' as their postage from the states has just been assessed at $140 & when the lady at the USPS said those words my buddy went 'eeek' and didn't send the box - I need to see what I can do (if anything) about that.

Just trying to remember if I have seen another '5' up here, I have had the silver UUBER car here lots, the black HARLAN car here a lot and this is red racers 3rd trip this year.

Would have been good having the racks today actually, wet skis inside isn't cool!

(Note can ride right to the car, which is awesome imo)
Attachments
uuberhillary.jpg
Miata Needs Yakima

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

harlansmart wrote:
Would have been good having the racks today actually, wet skis inside isn't cool!
They fit inside?!
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

They fit inside with a snowboard and passenger ;)
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Return to “Off Topic Chat”