Law & Order

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 pm

I hate to sound cynical, but I don't think police do much real police work any more since they merged with the traffic cops :( even tho' they have a good avenue of investigation to start with, its simply far easier to give out tickets than catch real criminals. It not the frontline police officers fault, its because they have 'performance expectations' (their way of saying quota's) from their bosses and lets be honest, catching a joe blogs doing 56km an hour is far easier than tracking down a scumbag criminal.

I genuinely feel bad about this, such a nice '5 and seeing it with the rims I want and looking damn swish, only for it to get stolen and turn up stripped breaks my heart :cry:

I hope they catch the scumbags but I wouldn't hold my breath

-=edit=- I just wanted to mention that I have never had any hassle with cops or tickets but seeing the statistics it doesn't really look too crash hot.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/publications ... statistics

also bear in mind, up here in whangarei it is not uncommon for me to have police following me around in my car waiting for me to do something silly (I don't break the road rules) which in my mind is a waste of their time when they should be out trying to solve crime.

I realize I have a rather polarizing view on this, but its simply my opinion/observation

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 pm

MrGrey wrote:...also bear in mind, up here in whangarei it is not uncommon for me to have police following me around in my car waiting for me to do something silly (I don't break the road rules) which in my mind is a waste of their time when they should be out trying to solve crime.
I know this is slightly off-topic, I have to agree somewhat with this.
To me the police act just like a gang with some of the bullying tactics they use. They will follow you, almost intimidating you, hoping you do something wrong.
I had an incident years ago where 2 cars came together, and I owned one of the vehicles. I was called into the station and told the other car had major damage down its side, then in the next breath the driver’s door had been pushed in. Once I got to the bottom of it the only damage was that the drivers mirror had moved.
In another incident I tooted at a cop car because the lights had gone green and he hadn’t moved. Once I had passed him, he followed me into a large car park, until I parked the car. He then called me over saying I couldn’t park there. I asked him why and he just said I couldn’t park there because it was a loading zone. Once I explained to him that it was specific parking for the shop I was going in, he said that I parked on an angle and that I should move it…then he drove off.
Don’t get me wrong. I have some good mates who are police and traffic officers. One even a high ranking detective. Generally they do a great job…but the gang like bully tactics some do I don’t tolerate well.

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

MrGrey wrote:I hate to sound cynical, but I don't think police do much real police work any more since they merged with the traffic cops :( even tho' they have a good avenue of investigation to start with, its simply far easier to give out tickets than catch real criminals. It not the frontline police officers fault, its because they have 'performance expectations' (their way of saying quota's) from their bosses and lets be honest, catching a joe blogs doing 56km an hour is far easier than tracking down a scumbag criminal.
You sound grossly uninformed rather than cynical.

You might have a point if "real criminals" weren't being caught, but they are. Rapists and murderers and violent criminals and robbers and other criminals are being caught, so there's plenty of investigative work being done.

Problem is that Joe Civilian feels that because he's not stealing from someone or not assaulting someone that he shouldn't be done for exceeding the speed limit or driving carelessly or dangerously. The "logic" is that because there are worse crimes that he should get let off his own committed crime. Unfortunately, Joe Civilian's selfish and ignorant opinion (because it's not actually logic) is wrong.

But obviously you can do a better job, so why don't you jump on Google Maps, identify the address where the car was found (because I have) and then do some investigating. Knowing as much as you do, you're obviously aware anyone can lay a private prosecution at court and you seem to know how to catch these guys.

:roll:
Growler wrote:Don’t get me wrong. I have some good mates who are police and traffic officers. One even a high ranking detective. Generally they do a great job…but the gang like bully tactics some do I don’t tolerate well.
There are inevitably going to be a few bad apples and it's unfortunate they can make people think the bunch is spoiled, but I think overall police do an excellent job as far as they're able.

Problem is that people demand accountability, but what holds police back is sufficient evidence. If you relax the standards required to convict someone you'll then get complaints of innocent people being found guilty, and if police try and go ahead with prosecutions when they know they don't have evidence to try and keep victims happy then they'll just end up disappointed in court anyway, and there'll be less police resources for policing, they'll be tied up in court going nowhere.

dynofiend
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dynofiend » Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:The police have a pretty good starting point at the owners of the property, or their daughter. It's not like the car was found dumped anonymously in a street.

No guarantee that a prosecution is possible, but they have some investigative starting point.
Its not even close to enough. The owners have already denied all knowledge. So, that's that avenue closed straight away. What are they gonna do next? Interrogate? Put surveillance on them?

People generally have a really skewed view on how criminal investigation works. They firstly unfortunately believe that there are enough police officers to investigate all crimes with the same care and attention to detail as a murder with forensic investigation, and detective style sleuthing. Which sadly isn't true.

They secondly believe that circumstantial evidence, and subtle 'leads' are enough to build a 'case' against someone. Fact is, unless you catch someone red handed in the act, or have hard proof of them doing it (video or pictures) or witnesses who will testify in court, or they admit to it, then crimes like these will go undetected.

Even if you catch people in the act, it can be hard to get a proper conviction.

Example: Cops rock around to that house, find boys with grinders working on the car. Guys are arrested, all claim the car belongs to 'Steve' who cant be located, and that 'Steve' told them to grind it up because he doesn't want the car. That MIGHT end up at court, but any half decent solicitor could argue there isn't sufficient evidence to convict of either the theft, or the selling of stolen property. The police would have to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the guys KNEW the car was hot, and that all the parts were being sold as hot. Not that they 'probably' were going to be sold, or the guys 'probably' knew the car was hot. Its not enough.

Its kinda sad, but its the truth.

Growler

Post by Growler » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:....so why don't you jump on Google Maps, identify the address where the car was found (because I have) and then do some investigating. Knowing as much as you do, you're obviously aware anyone can lay a private prosecution at court and you seem to know how to catch these guys..
I did the same and found a house that resembles the layout in the photos.
I suggested it was Riversdale Road off Rosebank Road area. I wonder if we are in the same area? (You can pm me if you don't want to reply in the forum...)
Mr. Shine wrote:Problem is that people demand accountability, but what holds police back is sufficient evidence. If you relax the standards required to convict someone you'll then get complaints of innocent people being found guilty, and if police try and go ahead with prosecutions when they know they don't have evidence to try and keep victims happy then they'll just end up disappointed in court anyway, and there'll be less police resources for policing, they'll be tied up in court going nowhere.
Ha! You now sound like a cop! People should expect accountability. The police are representatives of the law of the land and are employed to enforce said law. If I obey the law, yet my neighbour doesn't, then I expect something to be done about it. I don't see that as being a problem.
I agree that police do have a hard job with regards to getting enough evidence to convict someone. However I strongly disagree when they manipulate the situation to get a conviction. I have been in that situation, and know others who have as well. (Plus I have heard a lot of "work place" stories over the years which doesn't help!).
Personally I think we are too soft on criminals. Take this example in the forum. When I saw the pictures of the gutted shell it made me sick. I immediately thought of my car, and how I would have felt if I was in that situation. I would have been devastated! And I would have wanted blood. If the police ever catch them, they will probably only get so many hours of community service at best. That's not going to give them second thoughts on not doing it again, its just a matter of where's the next car/property etc.[/quote]

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 pm

dynofiend wrote:Even if you catch people in the act, it can be hard to get a proper conviction.
Well-versed in this, I'm a deputy registrar and take jury trial and summary defended hearing courts every day of the week.

My point was that they have a starting point and people to ask. Inferences can be drawn, they may be able to establish links to people of interest in the area etc. The car was at least partially stripped at the location it was found, down the back section of a house.

It's not like they found the car dumped in a nondescript area with absolutely nothing to go on.
Growler wrote:I did the same and found a house that resembles the layout in the photos.
I suggested it was Riversdale Road off Rosebank Road area. I wonder if we are in the same area?
I'm looking on Miranda Road, next to a vacant section from Satellite View. That vacant section when viewed on Google Street View provides the orange-roofed house next door, and you can match up neighbouring houses in the opposite direction of the photos, too.
Ha! You now sound like a cop!
Close, as you read above :P
People should expect accountability. The police are representatives of the law of the land and are employed to enforce said law. If I obey the law, yet my neighbour doesn't, then I expect something to be done about it. I don't see that as being a problem.
Indeed, but people expect the police to be able to miraculously go beyond that same law they demand be enforced and conjure criminals out of thin air. And when they do catch someone and they're dealt with, they claim justice isn't served when the law is followed. Sometimes there just isn't enough to go on to catch someone, but when that's the case people say it's necessarily the police's fault, and launch into bullshit about traffic policing taking up all their time for revenue gathering or some other crap.
Personally I think we are too soft on criminals. Take this example in the forum. When I saw the pictures of the gutted shell it made me sick. I immediately thought of my car, and how I would have felt if I was in that situation. I would have been devastated! And I would have wanted blood. If the police ever catch them, they will probably only get so many hours of community service at best. That's not going to give them second thoughts on not doing it again, its just a matter of where's the next car/property etc.
You're looking at it from an entirely one-sided point of view, though. That's natural and fair enough because you're relating to a victim and seeing it as a victim would, but justice is about a balancing act and must take many factors into account.

Yes, often enough people who are given chances with community-based rather than custodial sentences blow it and wind up doing the same shit, but that path inevitably does lead them to imprisonment. On the flipside however I've seen people be given a chance and make something amazing of it. The way the system is set up, people have a chance to change, but if they throw it away inevitably they end up getting what they deserve.

End of the day, justice has to balance out a number of viewpoints and perspectives, but it can't cater only to victims. That path leads to a system based on retribution, not justice.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Mr. Shine wrote: You sound grossly uninformed rather than cynical.

You might have a point if "real criminals" weren't being caught, but they are. Rapists and murderers and violent criminals and robbers and other criminals are being caught, so there's plenty of investigative work being done.

Problem is that Joe Civilian feels that because he's not stealing from someone or not assaulting someone that he shouldn't be done for exceeding the speed limit or driving carelessly or dangerously. The "logic" is that because there are worse crimes that he should get let off his own committed crime. Unfortunately, Joe Civilian's selfish and ignorant opinion (because it's not actually logic) is wrong.

But obviously you can do a better job, so why don't you jump on Google Maps, identify the address where the car was found (because I have) and then do some investigating. Knowing as much as you do, you're obviously aware anyone can lay a private prosecution at court and you seem to know how to catch these guys.

Problem is that people demand accountability, but what holds police back is sufficient evidence. If you relax the standards required to convict someone you'll then get complaints of innocent people being found guilty, and if police try and go ahead with prosecutions when they know they don't have evidence to try and keep victims happy then they'll just end up disappointed in court anyway, and there'll be less police resources for policing, they'll be tied up in court going nowhere.

ouch.... did I hit a nerve or something?..... you seem rather defensive?

oh and *lol* at -karma for making a standpoint on an issue you disagree with...... go nuts, I don't care.

I would however, like to make a few points.

1) high profile crime like murders and rapes are TOTALLY different to property crime and obviously get assigned case officers. You obviously know how the inner workings of how a police station operate (or have close friends who are officers) so you know that in an average station the amount of officers dedicated to property theft (both burglaries and car theft) are a small percentage of the overall manpower available (or woman power of course)

2) at no point did I state I could do a better job, but then again, I am not a police officer and 'fighting crime' is not my job. I do however expect public servants to do their jobs eg, I expect firefighters to fight fire and I expect police officers to catch criminals and keep us safe.

3) due to the quota system (and yes, 'performance expectations' are real) I feel that yes, the police DO spend too much time chasing the easy yards simply because in the short term it looks much better on paper. By this I mean that catching 10 speeding motorists looks much better on paper than catching one burglar because you cannot measure the potential gain of stopping that one burglars crime.

4) I feel that if you get caught breaking the law, then so be it, take your ticket/fine and learn your lesson. I did however mention that the volume of man hours spent following me around is a waste of time as I personally don't break the law (intentionally). If a police officer wants to prejudge me and think that I am a boy racer up to no good, then I am in return entitled to think that he is a police officer whose time would be better spent catching other offenders.

5) Just because getting a conviction is not easy doesn't mean it should be filed in the 'too hard' basket. I feel our justice system would be better served if we had an inquisitorial system instead of an adversarial system in our courts, but that is something for another discussion. :wink:

6) Many of us here have friends or family in the police force and my cynical opinion (and yes I do believe that is the best term used to describe my standpoint) is not a personal attack against them or their work. I do however feel that the statistics I provided show that even tho' things are getting better by tiny fractions here and there, the over all resolution rate on property thefts (car and home) are not pretty.

7) always blow on the pie, its been in that warmer for over six hours and is thermonuclear. always blow on the pie..... safer communities together.

I realize that this is 'teh interwebz' were people love to argue, but that is not the intention of this post or my intention, I simply felt that I should elaborate because you considered me misinformed when in truth, I (sadly) do have a reasonably firm grasp of how things work.

I have little say in what resources the police are allocated and I realize they are running a tight ship. This however is not (in my mind) an excuse to let property crime go by the wayside.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm getting confused at all the Mr's having an argument. I can't remember if its Mr. Shine or MrGrey. Someone needs to take advantage of this and come in with a 3rd Mr[username] just to poke at shit.

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 am

Mr. Shine wrote:I'm looking on Miranda Road, next to a vacant section from Satellite View. That vacant section when viewed on Google Street View provides the orange-roofed house next door, and you can match up neighbouring houses in the opposite direction of the photos, too.
I'm not too sure. In street view there is a house with an orange tile roof, and the photos show the same thing, but the house design is different.
I travel through there regularly so will check it out.
You're looking at it from an entirely one-sided point of view, though. That's natural and fair enough because you're relating to a victim and seeing it as a victim would, but justice is about a balancing act and must take many factors into account.

Yes, often enough people who are given chances with community-based rather than custodial sentences blow it and wind up doing the same shit, but that path inevitably does lead them to imprisonment. On the flipside however I've seen people be given a chance and make something amazing of it. The way the system is set up, people have a chance to change, but if they throw it away inevitably they end up getting what they deserve.

End of the day, justice has to balance out a number of viewpoints and perspectives, but it can't cater only to victims. That path leads to a system based on retribution, not justice.
Agreed. I do understand both sides. But what gets me, is that a criminal can commit a crime against another human being, get caught, be reformed and everyone thinks he has done well...yet the victim (I'll use this theft as an example), loses a prized possession, is inconvenienced because he/she has to find alternate travel to go to work, has to battle with the insurance company, then has to find another car which can then increase his financial burden. His insurance premiums go up, he has to spend even more of his hard earned cash to increase security... And to top it off the victim has, in a round about way, paid for the criminal's reform! Where is the balance of justice in that.

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri May 17, 2013 9:56 am

MrGrey wrote:ouch.... did I hit a nerve or something?..... you seem rather defensive?

oh and *lol* at -karma for making a standpoint on an issue you disagree with...... go nuts, I don't care.
Not defensive, just pointing out your gross ignorance on the topic :)

And, ahem, *lol* like I care about forum karma.
1) high profile crime like murders and rapes are TOTALLY different to property crime and obviously get assigned case officers. You obviously know how the inner workings of how a police station operate (or have close friends who are officers) so you know that in an average station the amount of officers dedicated to property theft (both burglaries and car theft) are a small percentage of the overall manpower available (or woman power of course)
That's really not what you said at all, though. I'm glad you've said this now, however, so I can stop thinking you're tapped in the head.
3) due to the quota system (and yes, 'performance expectations' are real) I feel that yes, the police DO spend too much time chasing the easy yards simply because in the short term it looks much better on paper. By this I mean that catching 10 speeding motorists looks much better on paper than catching one burglar because you cannot measure the potential gain of stopping that one burglars crime.
Performance expectations are present in any job, what's your point? It stands to reason that if a crime is easy to deal with, it will be dealt with easily and promptly. That doesn't necessitate that more difficult (and potentially unsolvable) crimes are not dealt with, because logically they are more difficult and take time. What's your point?

Obviously catching 10 speeding motorists does not look better on paper than catching one burglar, because the public still bitches and moans without knowing a thing about the process. Everyone has an opinion, but very few bother to put much thought in before voicing it, or don't have any valid insight.
4) I feel that if you get caught breaking the law, then so be it, take your ticket/fine and learn your lesson. I did however mention that the volume of man hours spent following me around is a waste of time as I personally don't break the law (intentionally). If a police officer wants to prejudge me and think that I am a boy racer up to no good, then I am in return entitled to think that he is a police officer whose time would be better spent catching other offenders.
We can logically equate this situation with the example of a higher concentration of police patrols in a known high-crime area. Just as crime is more likely to occur in the CBD on Friday and Saturday night, it's more likely that your car, as a modified car, is not up to legal standards, and that because you're driving a modified "performance" car you are more likely to drive too fast, carelessly or dangerously.

Your statement is the logical equivalent of saying that increased weekend police patrols on Queen Street in Auckland Central are a waste of police time and would be better spent catching burglars. It's not like they're not fighting crime, and no doubt if they weren't there the complaint would just go the other way...
5) Just because getting a conviction is not easy doesn't mean it should be filed in the 'too hard' basket. I feel our justice system would be better served if we had an inquisitorial system instead of an adversarial system in our courts, but that is something for another discussion.
It's not a matter of filing in the "too hard" basket. As I pointed out earlier, police would no doubt love to proceed with more prosecutions on the chance of getting lucky successes, but they know, factually, that their case will not stand up to the Court's scrutiny. It's a matter of not wasting time and resources.

You see my point? You're demanding they not "give up" on cases because they don't think they'll manage a conviction (thus preserving resources for cases they feel they will successfully prosecute), and yet on the other hand you're demanding they waste less resources on what you imagine to be wastes of police time in other areas.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
6) Many of us here have friends or family in the police force and my cynical opinion (and yes I do believe that is the best term used to describe my standpoint) is not a personal attack against them or their work. I do however feel that the statistics I provided show that even tho' things are getting better by tiny fractions here and there, the over all resolution rate on property thefts (car and home) are not pretty.
I don't disagree, but the logic does not follow that it is simply the police's fault. If there's very little evidence to go on, there's very little evidence to go on. Fact is, unless there is other evidence to link someone to a burglary that was not otherwise witnessed, what is there to go on? Is that the police's fault that there's not much trace of the crime beyond the disappeared items and a broken window? I don't think so.

Sometimes it really is a matter of "I'm sorry Mr. Jones, but the burglars didn't leave much trace of their work, and without any witnesses we just don't have any leads we can reasonably investigate. I hope you had insurance."
I realize that this is 'teh interwebz' were people love to argue, but that is not the intention of this post or my intention, I simply felt that I should elaborate because you considered me misinformed when in truth, I (sadly) do have a reasonably firm grasp of how things work.

I have little say in what resources the police are allocated and I realize they are running a tight ship. This however is not (in my mind) an excuse to let property crime go by the wayside.
I'm not convinced you do have a firm grasp... like I said, you seem to be wanting to have your cake and eat it too. You seem to be laying to blame at the police's door problems that are just in the nature of burglaries.

They can't just conjure evidence and leads out of nowhere :?
Growler wrote:I'm not too sure. In street view there is a house with an orange tile roof, and the photos show the same thing, but the house design is different.
I travel through there regularly so will check it out.
There are two orange-roofed houses in the photographs posted - one directly next door (which is the vacant lot in Satellite View) and one two houses down. Now that you mention it, the orange-roofed house directly next door doesn't seem to match the Street View image, however it may be that Street View is older than the vacant lot in Satellite View and Satellite View not up to date either, as the house does look very new.

If you look in the opposite direction however, the house directly next door matches up with the shed location, flax bush and then the sort of mint-roofed and orange-roofed houses a couple of houses down, as well as the house directly next-door on that side matching with what can be seen in Satellite View. Also the property in question doesn't have the trampoline in the yard, but has the washing line and shed in the right positions, as well as a bare-looking tree in the middle in the right position.

e-detective skillz +1 for both of us?
Agreed. I do understand both sides. But what gets me, is that a criminal can commit a crime against another human being, get caught, be reformed and everyone thinks he has done well...yet the victim (I'll use this theft as an example), loses a prized possession, is inconvenienced because he/she has to find alternate travel to go to work, has to battle with the insurance company, then has to find another car which can then increase his financial burden. His insurance premiums go up, he has to spend even more of his hard earned cash to increase security... And to top it off the victim has, in a round about way, paid for the criminal's reform! Where is the balance of justice in that.
The system cannot be all stick and no carrot, so to speak, but you're suggesting non-custodial sentences seem to be all carrot and not stick, which isn't right either. Yes, victims very often find themselves out of pocket and inconvenienced (athough often reparation is sought to offset these sorts of things). Don't forget though that the criminal has to serve a sentence as well, so there is always a punitive aspect to offset their supposedly positive reform.
Last edited by Mr. Shine on Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 am

meh, we can agree that we have dissimilar views on the subject :wink:

I just hope in hlau028's case they find those responsible.

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am

That we can agree on :)

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 am

Hahahaha man, reading those last posts was awesome!

"I will negative karma you because I don't agree with what you're saying"

Hopefully negative karma doesn't translate to the real world.. Otherwise I'm screwed..
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri May 17, 2013 10:27 am

chris wrote:Hahahaha man, reading those last posts was awesome!

Hopefully negative karma doesn't translate to the real world.. Otherwise I'm screwed..
Downkarma'd.

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 am

Mr. Shine wrote:
chris wrote:Hahahaha man, reading those last posts was awesome!

Downkarma'd.
I was about to upkarma you.

DOWNKARMA.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Fri May 17, 2013 10:36 am

A couple points to add about our police

1. To easy on criminals - Let me add to this I believe a true criminal is one who re-offends again and again usually on the same crime e.g. How many people do you know that have been done for drink driving? How many of them did it again?

2. Corrupt - A man my father went to school with who shall remain nameless got caught molesting a child this man did not go to jail or even face trial as he was a high profile court judge i.e. In NZ its who you know

3. Treat Drug Users/Addicts as criminals. They are victims of Addiction and Bad decisions. Didn't anyone ever teach the police 9 times out of 10 the bad guy is the one profiting not slowly killing themselves

Yes they bully us around the roads and give us absolutely stupid tickets like my $750! Ticket for driving down a prohibited road... thank you ascot road but at the end of the day just
Never expect justice and don't get caught because even if you are in the right you have to prove it

Also lol at downkarma because I don't share your view

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 am

Kieran wrote:A couple points to add about our police

1. To easy on criminals - Let me add to this I believe a true criminal is one who re-offends again and again usually on the same crime e.g. How many people do you know that have been done for drink driving? How many of them did it again?

2. Corrupt - A man my father went to school with who shall remain nameless got caught molesting a child this man did not go to jail or even face trial as he was a high profile court judge i.e. In NZ its who you know

3. Treat Drug Users/Addicts as criminals. They are victims of Addiction and Bad decisions. Didn't anyone ever teach the police 9 times out of 10 the bad guy is the one profiting not slowly killing themselves

Yes they bully us around the roads and give us absolutely stupid tickets like my $750! Ticket for driving down a prohibited road... thank you ascot road but at the end of the day just
Never expect justice and don't get caught because even if you are in the right you have to prove it

Also lol at downkarma because I don't share your view
We seem to have similar views.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Fri May 17, 2013 10:43 am

chris wrote:We seem to have similar views.
You have obviously to been a victim of circumstance

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 am

Kieran wrote:1. To easy on criminals - Let me add to this I believe a true criminal is one who re-offends again and again usually on the same crime e.g. How many people do you know that have been done for drink driving? How many of them did it again?
Third or subsequent drink driving sentences can get quite restrictive...
Mind PMing me who? I'd be interested to know who... I really doubt that this is the case if it's even true, however. I could imagine some discretion being shown for a minor offence, but sexual violation of a child? No way that one would be let slip unless there actually was no real case.
There is actually a special drug and alcohol court to deal with criminals who have just these kinds of issues. Drug and alcohol abuse is no excuse for committing crime; they need to be held accountable just as everyone else.

Why do you think the penalties for methamphetamine supply/production can result in life imprisonment? A large amount of weight in sentencing drug dealers and manufacturers is placed upon the harm they do to society.
Those fine amounts are legislated and have nothing to do with the police. They just enforce the law, they don't write it, or set the penalties.

As for having to prove it... the number of times I've seen someone plead not guilty and just sit there in court and not even bother with giving a defence case, and still get off... no, I don't think you do have to prove it. You may have to go through the process, but that doesn't mean you have to prove your innocence; that's not how our system works.
Last edited by Mr. Shine on Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Furai

Post by Furai » Fri May 17, 2013 10:50 am

Chris is just trying to get good Karma, DONT BE FOOLED K-DOG :lol:

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 17, 2013 11:35 am

Furai wrote:Chris is just trying to get good Karma, DONT BE FOOLED K-DOG :lol:
And I would have got it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and that damn (K)Dog.

Haha no, more the fact that after having my windscreen smashed in, and being done for careless driving I have very little faith in the police.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Fri May 17, 2013 11:43 am

Mr. Shine wrote:Third or subsequent drink driving sentences can get quite restrictive...
My flatmate has had 3 in 2 years now and has never lost his license for more than a couple days as work licenses are very easy to get
Mr. Shine wrote:Mind PMing me who? I'd be interested to know who... I really doubt that this is the case if it's even true, however. I could imagine some discretion being shown for a minor offence, but sexual violation of a child? No way that one would be let slip unless there actually was no real case.
I can't release his name as that would put me in a bad position but as minor as it was old Joe civilian down the road would be done for it and as far as I'm concerned it is what it is
Mr. Shine wrote:There is actually a special drug and alcohol court to deal with criminals who have just these kinds of issues. Drug and alcohol abuse is no excuse for committing crime; they need to be held accountable just as everyone else.

Why do you think the penalties for methamphetamine supply/production can result in life imprisonment? A large amount of weight in sentencing drug dealers and manufacturers is placed upon the harm they do to society.
I agree the penalties for supply/distribution are right to be so harsh but the problem is they don't catch them they are more focused on catching the end user and taking them to court only to let them of with a warning and no type of rehab

What I'm trying to say is possession shouldn't be a crime its a waste of police time and tax payers money both in and out of the courts

Yes drug and alcohol abuse is no excuse for committing a crime but if your not committing a crime other than the fact that you have a personal amount of drugs on you whats the point

And I was not aware of these courts as they weren't in existence a couple years ago
Mr. Shine wrote:Those fine amounts are legislated and have nothing to do with the police. They just enforce the law, they don't write it, or set the penalties.

As for having to prove it... the number of times I've seen someone plead not guilty and just sit there in court and not even bother with giving a defence case, and still get off... no, I don't think you do have to prove it. You may have to go through the process, but that doesn't mean you have to prove your innocence; that's not how our system works.
I understand they don't decide the amount but I was already over on the side of the road in my car by myself with no one around and a map book open on my lap, the cop stopped behind me he came up to my car I was lost and asked for directions he accused me of being a boy racer and with no evidence and less than two words spoken to me he gave me a ticket for nearly a $1000 f*&#ing dollars
I do have to prove my innocence!

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm

chris wrote:being done for careless driving
Mind if I ask, what were the circumstances of that?

I've been done for careless and didn't really think highly of it at first, but then ended up pleading guilty after thinking about it...
Kieran wrote:My flatmate has had 3 in 2 years now and has never lost his license for more than a couple days as work licenses are very easy to get
If that's the case it's a problem with the judge in question granting the limited license, and not the police. Considering the mandatory disqualification periods for drink driving, if he's had it happen three times in two years then he's been caught whilst on a limited license at some point so frankly... something doesn't add up with the story, sorry.
I can't release his name as that would put me in a bad position but as minor as it was old Joe civilian down the road would be done for it and as far as I'm concerned it is what it is
Without a name or any details this is the same story of "my friend's brother's uncle's cat got caught and didn't get done" though.

I wasn't saying it was a minor matter either, to clarify. I was pointing out that if it were a minor charge then I could imagine some discretion being shown, but the way I know police and the Crown in court, if a judge were caught up in indecent assault or sexual violation of any kind, let alone on a child, they'd be out for blood. There's nothing like hunting your own - look up Timothy or Tim Sarah, although former police prosecutor and not a judge.
I agree the penalties for supply/distribution are right to be so harsh but the problem is they don't catch them they are more focused on catching the end user and taking them to court only to let them of with a warning and no type of rehab
Police rarely bother prosecuting possession charges because of the cost of analysis. Yes, they actually have to pay to send seized drugs away and have them analysed, and no their resourcing cannot afford to do this all the time.
What I'm trying to say is possession shouldn't be a crime its a waste of police time and tax payers money both in and out of the courts
I agree, although for different reasons. End of the day though, police rarely bother with pure possession charges. They seem to only go ahead with prosecution if it doesn't require testing (ie. cannabis) or if it's alongside other offending at the time. Cannabis possession gets a complete slap on the wrist, anyway. At worst you'd probably end up with only a conviction and no ther penalty.
I understand they don't decide the amount but I was already over on the side of the road in my car by myself with no one around and a map book open on my lap, the cop stopped behind me he came up to my car I was lost and asked for directions he accused me of being a boy racer and with no evidence and less than two words spoken to me he gave me a ticket for nearly a $1000 f*&#ing dollars
I do have to prove my innocence!
The officer was following and enforcing the law. He may have had some discretion as to whether he could ticket you or not, however the fact that he did doesn't make him an asshole, because he was doing his job. He doesn't owe it to you not to ticket you for breaking the law. It would have made him a nice guy if he didn't ticket you, but it doesn't make him an asshole that he was doing his job and did ticket you.

Some offences are what's known as strict liability offences, which means that if you committed the offence, your intent in doing so is irrelevant. I can't say for sure as I don't know which section of the Act driving on a prohibited road comes under, but my strong suspicion is that this was the case. For future reference, if you are ticket as such, you generally have the ability to plead guilty by letter for such offences. That means you write into the Court and admit guilt, but offer an explanation.

Justices of the Peace have the authority to set penalties within the legislated maximum for matters in Court, so a guilty by letter is a chance to have the JPs fine you a lesser amount, and it often works. Seen a fair few people GBL parking and other driving-related tickets and walk away having only to pay the court filing fee of ~$30 and a $1 fine on top of it.

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
chris wrote:being done for careless driving
Mind if I ask, what were the circumstances of that?

I've been done for careless and didn't really think highly of it at first, but then ended up pleading guilty after thinking about it...
I swerved to avoid any possible injury to another driver, ended up totally my own car, and because I decided not to hit her, I got pinged with a hefty fine + careless driving!
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 pm

chris wrote:I swerved to avoid any possible injury to another driver, ended up totally my own car, and because I decided not to hit her, I got pinged with a hefty fine + careless driving!
What were you swerving to avoid? Why did you have to swerve to avoid it?

Return to “Off Topic Chat”