HOWTO: Overhaul the gauges on an NA

Replacing factory parts, beautifying, personalising or otherwise customising your MX5 or Roadster.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif

Hojo
Tentative sideways sliding....

HOWTO: Overhaul the gauges on an NA

Post by Hojo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Foreword: I am not a professional. This is a walkthrough designed to be used as information on the process only. If you feel that a step is wrong or could be done better please post the information and I will make changes accordingly. If you think that there is a step missing or need more information on any part post here and I will try to help.

This mod should take about 2-3 hours for someone who has never taken a dash apart before. Make sure the engine is cold when you start.

Things you need to buy: Things you should have:
  • very sharp knife / scalpel
    long and short phillips head screwdrivers
    mini phillips head screwdriver
    camera (at least 2 megapixels)
    anti-static wristband
    a container to hold screws
    someone with a good grip and skinny hands
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best conditions to do this mod are a sunny day with the top down for more space. Push the driver seat all the way back and make sure the screwdrivers are within reaching distance.

Step 1:

Unscrew the three screws circled in green in diagram 1.

Using the long screwdriver, unscrew the screw circled in blue in diagram 1.

Place your three middle fingers of each hand on the top half of the pod and your thumb and pinky on the bottom half. Push in and up with your middle fingers until the top half breaks away from the bottom. (There are clips in the middle of each side so putting pressure in the middle will work best)

Step 2:

Unscrew the two screws in the bottom of the dash cover (Circled in red in diagram 1) and pull the dash cover directly towards you, do not apply any vertical pressure. This should pop out abruptly.

Step 3:

There are 8 clips holding the plastic cover over the dials (two of these are circled in red in diagram 3). Carefully unclip them starting with one of the top corners and working your way across the top. The bottom clips should come out when the top clips have been undone. Remove the cover at the join between the black and white plastic.
Note: Be careful not to touch the inside of the clear plastic, you don't want to have to pull everything apart again because of a smudge.

Step 4:

Turn the car on and photograph each dial individually from directly in front to record where the needles need to go when you put it back together.

Step 5:

Carefully pull each needle off directly away from the dials. Unscrew each of the 8 small screws holding the dial faces on and remove the dials and perspex mounts (Remember which mount belongs with which dial).

Step 5:

Note: This may not be the optimal way to do this section, it is the way that worked for me.

Carefully cut the small needle stoppers at the base and, using a strong resin, glue them onto the new dials. Let them sit for at least 10 minutes.

Step 6:

Unscrew the 4 screws shown in diagram 2.

Step 7:

Put on your anti-static wriststrap and ground it to the car body (on a clean unpainted piece of metal).

Reach behind the dash and unplug the two wiring looms circled in green in diagram 3.

Step 8:

Reach behind the dash and carefully twist and remove each of the 4 dark green stubs. These are for the dash lights, ignore the black stubs. Change the bulbs with the colour of your choice and replace the holders, ensuring that you twist them back into place. Test them by turning the headlights on.

Note: If you are using LED lights and they do not work you may need to take them out and switch them around. This is because LED's have a positive and negative terminal.

Step 9:

By now the resin has set so screw the new dials into place. Turn the car on and, using the photos for reference, carefully push each needle back into place. Check that there is a gap between the needle and dial about the width of a dinner knife (about 1-2mm) so the needles can move freely. (Some of the needles can be tested by revving the engine).

Note: Getting the needles back to the correct positions can be a painful process, even with photos as guides. It took me 4 attempts to get all the needles back to where they should be. Even though they may look right when you replace them, a week of driving will show any errors (based on previous experience - I had my MX-5 for about a year before doing this mod so I knew where the needles should be when the car is cold/hot)

Step 10:

Replace everything in the opposite order making sure each part is clipped in and screwed in tight.

Post a photo of your finished product!

Image[/img]
Attachments
Diagram 1.JPG
Diagram 2.JPG
Diagram 3.JPG
Diagram 4.JPG
Finished.JPG

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks Hojo, this is the most comprehensive Howto so far! Well done.
(z)

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

I figured that after my own experience I wanted to make it an easier process for anyone else willing to attempt it.

For example:

The mx5mart website says fitting instructions are included when you buy the dials. The instructions were "Take a photo of the dials" written on the invoice.

I hope that my instructions are a little more informative :)

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:34 pm

I have a hold light and headlight up light on the speedo at the bottom. will they disappear with the new faces or shine through?
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 pm

They will sadly diffuse with these particular dial faces. The headlight up light should only appear while the lights are raising (for about a second) so I find that one doesnt matter so much.... not quite sure about that other light tho.

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:58 pm

the hold light lets me know when the auto g/box has hold button selected, do you think it would shine through. Or is the face quite thick?
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:50 am

It should shine through, it will just be diffused. I will try to post a pic in the next few days of what the headlight up light looks like.

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 am

:D thanks hojo, you did a great job of step by step instructions.
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:10 am

Here is what the headlight up light looks like at about twilight darkness.
Attachments
DSCF3293.jpg

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks so much for that photo, I can live with that. The white faces are such an improvement. shame about having to cut the stems off, what resin did you use? araldite. Thanks again
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Yep, just a tiny dot of araldite and the stems have been rock steady ever since... even in high heat.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:50 pm

That looks really nice!
I laughed at the fitting instructions comment! Gives me the shits when you get that service.

Job well done 8)
Tires aren't cheap!

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 pm

just ordered some from mx5mart, plus a few other goodies :lol: . I will let you know how i got on. cheers
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 am

I hope you got some usefull or necessary stuff as well, its very easy to just buy eye candy. I got a new set of spark leads the other day and couldn't help but get a number plate surround and 'roadster' high stop cover at the same time :P

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:16 am

replacement electric aerial stem and one piece sun visors, also thinking of the wind blocker as i have the one that fits on the headrests but it is hopeless and not to mention ugly. The only thing is the polycarbonate ones for sale are quite low, and i wonder how good they are before buying one, maybe i ask for opinions on here.
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Hey hojo,
I put them in today :D . Thanks for your help, I can add that when I seperated the white and dark plastic they were joined by two wires in the top left corner. Also i put some vinyl sticker with holes in it on the back of the rev counter to show up the lights. I also painted the needles black to show up against the dials. I screwed up the needles placement and took four goes to get that in the right position :roll: . But very happy with the outcome they look great. Only thing I'm not pleased about is the light that comes through them at night, They should have a black backing, what are your thoughts?
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

LeslieAxley
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by LeslieAxley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:58 pm

I have a hold light and headlight up light on the speedo at the bottom. will they disappear with the new faces or shine through?

Hojo

Post by Hojo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Leslie,

I answered this on Dec 28, 2009...

If you look back a few posts you should see it. You might need to enable viewing of attachments somehow?

Return to “Customising and Personalising your MX5”