HPC coatings

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

HPC coatings

Post by Mathew » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:41 am

My attempt at making an aluminium heat shield that will fit in the 20mm gap between the extractors and the supercharger and won't rattle has ended in tears, so I'm thinking of taking my car off the road for a week or so and getting the extractors HPC coated (www.hpcoatings.com). While I'm at it I might get the blower pipework done as well. Does anyone out there have any experience with their product? I can't seem to find a bad word written about it.

M@

jeff

HPC coatings

Post by jeff » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:22 am

hi Matt

I've just had some turbo bits HPC coated as well, as I'd also only read good things about it - lower under-hood temps, and better power (5% more for NZ Performance Car test on a GTX) . Not sure if thermal barriers do anything for increasing supercharger power since SC's don't 'scavenge' exhaust heat. HPC's turnaround is 7 days, and cost me a few hundred for 3 items. Car is still in progress though, so I can't comment on effectiveness of it !

About the worst I've heard is that it's not 'good value'. Sometimes they put the wrong coating on (temp rating too low for exhausts), so that's another thing to watch.

What about some header wrap/blanket ? Could be a quicker and cheaper solution. :) I could still touch the wrap on my headers after a hard run !

Jeff

Mathew wrote:My attempt at making an aluminium heat shield that will fit in the 20mm gap between the extractors and the supercharger and won't rattle has ended in tears, so I'm thinking of taking my car off the road for a week or so and getting the extractors HPC coated (www.hpcoatings.com). While I'm at it I might get the blower pipework done as well. Does anyone out there have any experience with their product? I can't seem to find a bad word written about it.

M@

lou Girardin

HPC coatings

Post by lou Girardin » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:30 am

I managed to get the factory shield to fit, but my headers did have mounts
already there for it. I hear the HPC coating is very good. I wouldn't do the
cross tube though, you don't want that to retain heat.
Lou

jeff

HPC coatings

Post by jeff » Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:29 pm

I just saw the bill for my HPC work... $600 for the
exhaust manifold, exhaust turbine housing and
downpipe. FYI. (and still haven't driven it!)

--- John&Sene Johansson <svensk@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
[...]

Return to “2002”