Fuel pump problems

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Fuel pump problems

Post by Mathew » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:42 pm

Hi Jeff,

The fuel filter is only a few months old so that won't be clogged. I'd rather get a new fuel pump. Its painful enough paying $800 for a new pump, but at least then I'll know that its going to work perfectly for the next 40,000k's or so at least, whereas most of the secondhand pumps would probably have already done 60-80,000ks and the chances of them crapping out is much higher.
The gauges are a good idea, though I'm not sure that I know what your abbreviations are. The "AFR" I assume is the "Air to Fuel Ratio" which if I'm not mistaken will tell me if the fuel mixture is too lean or rich. The "EGT" is a bit of a mystery to me though. Exhaust gas temp is the only guess I can come up with, though I don't know what that will do for me?

M@

jeff

Fuel pump problems

Post by jeff » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:37 pm

good guess on the TLAs (3 letter acronyms ;)

EGT lets you know if things are getting too hot. Above about 1700-1800 F things (aluminium pistons, other engine bits) will melt and then Bad Things happen.

Flyin'Miata sells a combination AFR+EGT gauge. I was just eyeballing mine at lunchtime :) Practically an Autometer gauge is cheaper and better looking though.

you can get auxiliary (in-line) pumps as well, but you'll need to search for yourself on miataforum.com for more detailed info. What about a brand new rx7 pump from the dealer? Should be <$800 and flashing yr mx5 club card should get you a handy discount !

cheers,
Jeff

Mathew wrote:Hi Jeff,

The fuel filter is only a few months old so that won't be clogged. I'd rather get a new fuel pump. Its painful enough paying $800 for a new pump, but at least then I'll know that its going to work perfectly for the next 40,000k's or so at least, whereas most of the secondhand pumps would probably have already done 60-80,000ks and the chances of them crapping out is much higher.
The gauges are a good idea, though I'm not sure that I know what your abbreviations are. The "AFR" I assume is the "Air to Fuel Ratio" which if I'm not mistaken will tell me if the fuel mixture is too lean or rich. The "EGT" is a bit of a mystery to me though. Exhaust gas temp is the only guess I can come up with, though I don't know what that will do for me?

M@
HotJobs, a Yahoo! service - Search Thousands of New Jobs

Return to “2002”