How much should a higher flowing fuel pump cost?

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:28 am

I have just been told the reason for my detonation problems (yes it was me that Fletch was talking about) is that the fuel pump can't keep up now that I've put the 1600 injectors back in and raised the pressure on the AFPR, so its leaning out. I suppose the lower pressure with the 1800 injectors was probably easier for it to deal with and I've read that the overfueling these injectors produced actually helped protect against detonation as the excess fuel has a cooling effect (I knew there had to be a reason why the previous owner fitted them). The pump is apparently the factory one, and I've read on the net that these fuel pumps in early model mx5's are known for loosing performance at a slow but constant rate so the owner often doesn't notice the cars performance dropping off.
So... How much should a good quality high performance fuel pump cost me. I've been told it will be about $800 ouch!!!

M@

jeff

Post by jeff » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:56 am

hi Mathew

you might also want to try:
- replacing the fuel filter. If it's clogged, it will restrict flow, causing leanness
- install AFR+EGT gauges, if you haven't already
- grabbing an RX7 fuel pump instead. You should be able to score a used one from an RX7 garage for under $200, and it's an easy fit (so I hear)

Jeff

Mathew wrote:I have just been told the reason for my detonation problems (yes it was me that Fletch was talking about) is that the fuel pump can't keep up now that I've put the 1600 injectors back in and raised the pressure on the AFPR, so its leaning out. I suppose the lower pressure with the 1800 injectors was probably easier for it to deal with and I've read that the overfueling these injectors produced actually helped protect against detonation as the excess fuel has a cooling effect (I knew there had to be a reason why the previous owner fitted them). The pump is apparently the factory one, and I've read on the net that these fuel pumps in early model mx5's are known for loosing performance at a slow but constant rate so the owner often doesn't notice the cars performance dropping off.
So... How much should a good quality high performance fuel pump cost me. I've been told it will be about $800 ouch!!!

M@

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:30 pm

Test the pump, you should have 75 - 80 psi.if not, the recommended pump is a
GSS342, see brperformance.com
Lou

Return to “2002”