No more overfueling, but a dodgy computer

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:43 pm

Well I finally got around to replacing the 1800 injectors with 1600 ones (in a 1600 Supercharged engine) and what a huge difference it has made. All my problems with poor idling and throttle hesitation at low revs are a thing of the past. With about 30% less fuel being pumped through it appears my exhaust is no longer painting my rear bumper black as well and the mechanic assures me that it won't lean out at high revs. I don't really know why the previous owner fitted them as without an aftermarket computer to manage them at low revs it made the car a real pig to drive around town. I'm guessing the previous owner had it as a weekend toy rather than an everyday commuter as the exhaust was so loud when I got it that it wouldn't pass a W.O.F. Are you sure about those fuel pressure figures you gave me a while back Lou?. The maximum is about what my one gets to now but the pressure you gave for at idle was much higher than stock and shouldn't it be running a stock setting when o!
ff boost?
I seem to remember Glen at Rotary Power telling me he set the timing to 10 degrees (I think!-gotta shocking memory) but the local guy tells me its at about 7.5 degrees and that the computer doesn't seem to want to let it go into its base timing mode (from what little I know it appears he's grounding it correctly) which will apparently make timing adjustments a bit difficult to do accurately. Anyone heard of this before? I was thinking about swapping another computer over to see if it makes a difference.

m@

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:06 pm

Matt,
did you remember to disconnect your battery after you fitted the 1600
injectors?, as the ECU map needs to be reset, or the ECU will still think
the 1800 injectors are fitted,
also! under no circumstances run your timing above 8 degrees ( standard
Sebring setting as per the manual) without a knock sensor, as you will
certainly suffer with detonation, i hope your mechanic had TEN and GRD
bridged when checking your timing, i would be surprised if you have a