What'd you do to your car this week/weekend?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 pm

siren676 wrote:Ah that sounds easy to fix, will have a look into it when i get the car back.
I assume with the CAS that you just have to unbolt it and get a new seal or do you have to remove the rocker cover?
yup the cas seal is just an oring...simple to replace
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 pm

probably never been changed in the cars life, wonder if it even still exists :lol:
1990 NA6C MX5

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:54 pm

As for the sealant to use? Anything or something special?

Euen

Post by Euen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 pm

The CAS seal is an O ring. There is a saddle over it with 2 bolts into the head. You don't need to take it off completely but it is a lot easier if you loosen it off a little. Be carefull to mark the position of the CAS with a Sharpie or similar so that you get it back in the same place to retain the timing. The drive off the end of the cam is offset so that it can only be replaced one way however the housing is adjustable to get the timing adjustment.

For the sealant just use one of the silicone gasket makers like Loctite 596. If you only need a little bit get the smallest tube you can as it goes off in the tube after a while.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Ffffffff. Just did a bit of reading, found to get my car certed my seats and ails need sliders for fore and aft adjustment, because they came like this from factory.... Looks like i am getting the half cage homologated after all. A curse and a blessing all at once.
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

siren676

Post by siren676 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Just picked up my car from my mechanic.
The new clutch is heavier than expected, must have looked like a learner driver on my way home :lol:

1990 NA6C MX5

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Bwarp wrote:Ffffffff. Just did a bit of reading, found to get my car certed my seats and ails need sliders for fore and aft adjustment, because they came like this from factory.... Looks like i am getting the half cage homologated after all. A curse and a blessing all at once.
You sure? My EG had no adjusters on the seats and as long as it was registered as a 2 seater, I was never going to have problems

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm

the young fella at work got a cert recently on his silvia with fixed position seats
it had to be registered as a two seater with the rear seats and belts removed

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:31 pm

This weekend picked up my car after over 3 months of abusing the company car and free petrol goodness.

The car now has a creak in it as well as a rattle. I guess leaving it for prolonged periods isn't good :(

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Just got a wheel alignment done today. Doesnt crab to the left anymore. drives amazing like.

I refuse to drive on anything but semi slicks in this car in future. anything else is a waste of time

also got some new mirrors from Racetech fitted up last night. a bit more of a pain in the arse than anticipated. theres too much metal in the doors!

Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Bwarp wrote:I refuse to drive on anything but semi slicks in this car in future. anything else is a waste of time
Somewhat agree with this; near-semi road tyres at minimum, I [edit-language!]
love my Dunlop Star Specs!

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Jeez Luke that's looking amazing!!

Got two new RE002 tyres ready for a wof on Monday.
Cool sunroof bro...

Furai

Post by Furai » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Yeah Luke I like your other wheels but they still look pretty sweet.

Funnily enough after putting new shocks and springs into my car the alignment feels slightly better than before. Still tracks true as anything.

Once I get the springs I plan to keep in I will get one and hopefully it will be even better!

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 pm

The other wheels are for sale with adaptors if you're interested k-dawg.

Gonna buy some wheels brand new eventually once my seats and homologated roll bar are done so I wont need the adaptors.

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Also - is everyone elses floor pain rails dented to shit from scraping over stuff? Mine were mint pre-slam, but I've scraped over a few things now so there's a few dents in them
It'll be fine right?
I'm gonna get someone to build me some rail protectors. Weld some bolts to the underside of car and bolt it up so its replaceable, and run a bash plate across it as well. The flyin miata ones are ridiculously priced once landed.... I reckon I could get someone local to bash me up a set for a quarter of the price.

dylann
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dylann » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 am

My rails are starting to get a bit stuffed and it's not even that slammed, just a speedbump here and there that i forget about not going sideways over haha.

There is however a huge ass dent in my floor pan from accidentally driving over a curb edge, comes up about 5cm from the base of the floorpan. quite irritating as its just before the acc pedal and my foot sits right on it.

Really need to get around to replacing the headrest speakers, factory ones are pretty shithouse.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 am

From a structural engineering pov, don't weld stainless to mild steel. You'll just cause rusting to occur at the interface between them.

Furai

Post by Furai » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 am

Bwarp wrote:Also - is everyone elses floor pain rails dented to shit from scraping over stuff? Mine were mint pre-slam, but I've scraped over a few things now so there's a few dents in them
It'll be fine right?
I'm gonna get someone to build me some rail protectors. Weld some bolts to the underside of car and bolt it up so its replaceable, and run a bash plate across it as well. The flyin miata ones are ridiculously priced once landed.... I reckon I could get someone local to bash me up a set for a quarter of the price.
You know how high mine sits and mine are rather curvy to say the least.

Lukily they are not the main chassis rails just floor pan stiffners.

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 am

Angreal wrote:From a structural engineering pov, don't weld stainless to mild steel. You'll just cause rusting to occur at the interface between them.
Nah was planning on welding standard bolts to the floor, then bolting a stainless steel frame rail protector to the bolts that are welded to the floor. Just use standard steel bolts I would imagine. And hopefully it'll mean I dont need to pull my interior out to drill a bunch of pain in the arse holes.

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 am

Furai wrote:
Bwarp wrote:Also - is everyone elses floor pain rails dented to shit from scraping over stuff? Mine were mint pre-slam, but I've scraped over a few things now so there's a few dents in them
It'll be fine right?

Mine were curvy when I got it at factory height, since the drop i have not noticed much change to them.

Would love some rail protectors and a skid plate though

White Lightning
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

What'd you do to your car this week/weekend?

Post by White Lightning » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Will knock you on warrent ! Found out the hard way...

Ken Kessell

--- On Mon, 17/9/12, Born_disturbed <mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz> wrote:
Subject: [MX5] Re: What'd you do to your car this week/weekend?
To: mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz
Date: Monday, 17, September, 2012, 10:53 AM

Furai wrote:
Bwarp wrote:
Also - is everyone elses floor pain rails dented to shit from scraping over stuff? Mine were mint pre-slam, but I've scraped over a few things now so there's a few dents in them
It'll be fine right?

Mine were curvy when I got it at factory height, since the drop i have not noticed much change to them.

Would love some rail protectors and a skid plate though

[Posted via external email]

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:21 pm

They'll knock you on a WOF for dented floor pan rails? poop

halberd

Post by halberd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 am

Mine are shockingly dented and they have never bought it up at a wof.
'91 Eunos Roadster

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:20 am

Yep mine have scrapes and one large dent- Standard RS NB too.

The local shopping centre has the worst speed humps that I scrape on (and judging by the gouging in the paint/hotmix, lots of other people do too)- One time while getting a bit sideways to get over a particular one that always bottoms me, a 'helpful' white trash girl calls out 'Your car isn't that low'.....yeah well, it's not....but the scrapes under my car suggest otherwise ho

:roll:
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Ew car trash girls.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”