What'd you do to your car this week/weekend?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:34 pm

And I deal in all of IAG's computer equipment among others haha XD

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:28 pm

The nuts might have the incorrect thread pitch and got stripped when you put them on the studs.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Just a little something ive been working on. :)
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:54 pm

judging by the photos its easy to see that the nuts are not deep enough and there simply wasnt enough nut on the studs.... get deeper nuts and youll be fine.
the wheels hub center must be THICK as.
RED '90 TURBO.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 pm

I Like! :D
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

na6*dori
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by na6*dori » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm

that looks great! +1 like for me also!
In which i trust, a cable ties a must

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm

SLYDIT wrote:... get deeper nuts and youll be fine.
Or longer studs.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 pm

thanks guys. :)
it turned out great although i'm still not sure about the speaker grill. i tried a few options and couldnt get the look right. so i gave up and just put these on.
:wink:
the door pulls i ended up getting made by the local upholstery guy for free! sweet.
RED '90 TURBO.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Carbon fibre or wrapped? Definately going to do em myself, leg room, clear cage bars and save weight/look good

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote:get yourself full insurance :P
Pretty much this entirely.

The mind boggles as to why people invest good money into their cars without bothering with insurance.
Wise words.

So I had just finished working a solid month of 12 hour night shifts at a winery just down the road. I rode a $250 50cc scooter there instead of driving because it was so close, so I hadn't driven my car for a while. On my first day off, I go into town and get myself a much needed haircut. I decide to take the long way home (a bypass road used by trucks etc). I was taking it easy in the Roadster since it was wet and greasy on the road, and turned a corner going probably 5kmh more than that recommended speed they put on the yellow signs - no biggie for these cars, right?

Well it felt like the road just turned to ice, and I went into a slide towards the sloping grass, and into the bank :( .

Turns out there was oil or diesel on the road, probably spilled by a truck.

On the other side of the road from the bank, after a GC had just towed me out with his huge american pickup.
before by authentic92, on Flickr

After $1000 excess and repair (with a few additions)
after by authentic92, on Flickr

Full insurance is cool, but the $1000 excess said goodbye to my plans for new wheels :(

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:09 pm

I'll get full cover once I've put all my stuff in this summer (not to mention my current insurance was happy with everything except forced induction), especially now that I'm older and wiser ror something...

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm glad I got towed out before cops turned up though. I told the 100% truth to the insurance dude, but a 19 year old standing next to a RWD car would have had the cops drawing conclusions that probably wouldn't have gone in my favour..

It all worked out though. $1000 excess sorted out something like $2900 worth of damage.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Actually haven't used car insurance but crashed the motorbike, took 6 months to get repaired and back on the road and then it got stolen after a month back on the road.... Would recommend Vero very much. It was very tidy when I got it back, probably why someone claimed it as theirs :evil:

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Good to see her fixed, surely the cops would have been understanding with the diesel?

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 pm

man i want some of those little spot lights. so delish!
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Those spotlights are so Initial D, I love em to

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Bwarp wrote:man i want some of those little spot lights. so delish!
I'll be selling mine next week once I remove em from the car

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Furai wrote:Good to see her fixed, surely the cops would have been understanding with the diesel?
I didn't even think about there being anything on the road till a mate suggested it, and we went back and had a look. I thought it was just my tire/rim combo that caused it to slide in the wet (which probably contributed).

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:22 am

Furai wrote:Good to see her fixed, surely the cops would have been understanding with the diesel?
Unlikely, I know a mate who had a twin turbo Mitsi GTO, he was driving along, and a tree fell down and landed on his car. He and the missus were ok, car was a right off. Cops turned up and booked him on some stupid charge, just because it was an incident that they turned up to, and there was no-one else around involved in the incident so he had to get done. Can't remember what the charge was, but it was something small a trivial, but that isn't the point really.

Born_disturbed
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Born_disturbed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:24 am

Donovan wrote:
Unlikely, I know a mate who had a twin turbo Mitsi GTO, he was driving along, and a tree fell down and landed on his car. He and the missus were ok, car was a right off. Cops turned up and booked him on some stupid charge, just because it was an incident that they turned up to, and there was no-one else around involved in the incident so he had to get done. Can't remember what the charge was, but it was something small a trivial, but that isn't the point really.
Killing whales is illegal in New Zealand :lol:

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:29 am

Problem with any careless driving charge in this case would be that the road was "wet and greasy" and he was driving 5km/h over the posted recommended corner speed (which is of course for dry, clear conditions), and with that you're instantly out of the region of "what a careful and prudent driver would do".

Strict maybe, but when you actually step back and consider things it's fair enough most of the time.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:38 am

Mr. Shine wrote:
Problem with any careless driving charge in this case would be that the road was "wet and greasy" and he was driving 5km/h over the posted recommended corner speed (which is of course for dry, clear conditions), and with that you're instantly out of the region of "what a careful and prudent driver would do".

Strict maybe, but when you actually step back and consider things it's fair enough most of the time.
Like f%^k it is. My mum got done for careless driving after a guy cut her off and pushed her into the side of a truck. The cops reasoning was "you should be aware of what the traffic is doing at all times."

It's a charge that REALLY pisses me off, of course it's due in some instances, but their attitude to "you had a crash, someone is at fault" rapes my date. Sometimes accidents are JUST AN ACCIDENT!
Cool sunroof bro...

chris

Post by chris » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 am

punkoutnz wrote:
Mr. Shine wrote:

Like f%^k it is. My mum got done for careless driving after a guy cut her off and pushed her into the side of a truck. The cops reasoning was "you should be aware of what the traffic is doing at all times."

It's a charge that REALLY pisses me off, of course it's due in some instances, but their attitude to "you had a crash, someone is at fault" rapes my date. Sometimes accidents are JUST AN ACCIDENT!
Don't get me wrong SOME officers are brilliant.

Others are douches, they get a uniform and they want to go fill that quota,
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am

punkoutnz wrote:It's a charge that REALLY pisses me off, of course it's due in some instances, but their attitude to "you had a crash, someone is at fault" rapes my date. Sometimes accidents are JUST AN ACCIDENT!
I did say most of the time, but that last sentence is only half true - many accidents do occur due to a lack of care. Your mum's experience sounds pretty shitty, but very much like the exception, not the rule.
chris wrote:they want to go fill that quota,
This view always gets me, because people think they're out to make more money for the police, but that's not how it works. The police simply don't get any money from issuing fines and infringements.

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 am

The "quota" I believe is about the amount of tickets/infringements issued - yeah your right it's not about money, ha how many people even pay their tickets!
Its all statistics. How many speeding drivers caught, how many stolen cars recovered (don't go there) etc.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”