Chocolate Drifter

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 pm

looking forward to a progress report. Best of luck on the track, bro!
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

last_resort14
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by last_resort14 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey Guys.

Heres my recap from last saturday. Sorry its taken so long, havent had a chance to get on the computer, and then had to figure out how to upload videos etc, haha.

So started early saturday morning, left home at about 5:15 to make the trip down to taupo. was quite nice driving with the trailer on this early, roads were quiet, had a quick stop in Tokoroa for some mcD's for breakfast. then made it to the track at about 10 past 8.

plenty of cars were already there, unpacking etc, so got straight into unloading my car and all my spare tires, and tools etc in the pit lane.

Gave the car a once over. checked fluid levels, wheel nuts were tight, and everything was in order ready to give the car a go.

By this time we were ready for our drivers briefing, once this was out of the way it was time to line up.

Got in the queue, nervous as anything. helmet on, ready to go. cars were heading out onto the track, then I got to the front of the queue, and got told to stop.
In my mad nervous rush, I forgot to check what number I was in the queue. I was 10th in the queue and there was only 9 out in each session:oops:

anyway, thought I could take the next 15 mins to try to clear the nerves a bit, as you all know, it has been about a year since I last drove this car properly,
So I thought I would go watch for a while to calm me down. well, that didnt help. everything out there looked a lot faster than I remembered, and the walls etc looked harder and closer.

Anyways, 10 or so minutes late, I got back in the car, helmet on, and buckled up read for action.
My dad was coming out with me this session, he had never ever been in this car before, and has never been in a car on a track before this, also he has no idea if I know how to drive.haha. dont know who was more nervous, me or him,

Also, as we were waiting to b released, a shower of rain came through, so lucky me, got something else to worry about :?

anyways, heres a video of my first session, there was one lap that I drove around without drifting before this, just to get a feel for the car/track, then amazingly, I felt right at home and got right into it.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XOY4wDbBBxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Only took me 2 laps to find the extra lock I now have, and it made a world of difference, quite a few times I got into situations where I previously would have spun, but had no worries.
Also my main goal for this day, was to learn how to do a handbrake initiation into the first corner, and i managed to do this a few times in the first session. It means I can start the drift a lot earlier which was a real improvement over the first time I drifted track 3.

My main feedback from my dad after this was that he felt it was a lot safer and controlled feeling than he expected. maybe I wasnt driving hard enought :twisted: haha.

checked over all my vital fluids etc again.all was good. and also with the rain out there I still had quite a lot left on the tires, so they would be good for another session too :lol:

Lined up for the next session, went to turn my gopro camera on, Doh, it was still recording from the first session, so unfortunately I used up a heap more memory than I had hoped,

Any way, out I went again. this time the track had dried up a lot, and there was a lot more grip out there, took a bit of getting used to.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-BfLmd4A-Cc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finished those tires off good and proper. Was pushing hard, trying to chase down my mate in the white skyline, and all of a sudden, grip disappeared, and then clunk clunk bang wobble wobble. fortunately I was right by the pit entry, and headed in. I have popped tires before, but this one was really wobbly, turns out this is why

when it let go it jumped off the bead,

Next Session, Brand new set of tires, this was the first time I had drifted on new tires.
had been told to make sure I scrub them in by doing a few little drifts on them before going flat out into the first corner as they can be real slippery when new.

these tires were grippy! I was struggling to keep the back end out at some stages, had to kick the clutch multiple times, just to keep the drift going. definitely made for some fast drifting tho.

Heres the vid, I only remembered to turn the camera on after I had already been out there 10 minutes, so thats why there isn't much footage.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xlw5bpplnCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got 2 sessions out of these new sets of tires, heres the second one with that set, Was taking my brother mate on this one, he barely fit in the car and would have been 120kg probably, so had to push the car a little harder, haha.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8xl1-tCyT-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That all the footage I managed to get, the memory stick was full by then, and i hadnt brought another.

the rest of the day ran similar, the car never let me down. got plenty of track time and driving practice, and managed to destroy every one of the tires I took down.
Image heres all the wrecked ones, plus 2 on the car that just held air.

Heres a video that my mates dad took from the infield

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2C_g7fTzN60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
shows my newly learnt handbrake entry real well:D

A pic my dad got from the stands
And a few pics from the day taken by Autofocused.co.nz

All in all, great day. heaps of track time, lots of good people, had a blast.

car never missed a beat, used a full tank of gas though, haha,

cooling system worked amazingly, stayed at my setpoint of 85c when idling/in the queues, and when out of track ended up getting colder. sometimes down to 75c, which was great to have as I used to have to come in as the water temps would be sitting around 115c

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 pm

last_resort14 wrote: when it let go it jumped off the bead,
And here I was thinking you'd just let Chris drive the car :lol: (Sorry Chris, couldn't help myself...)

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:19 pm

haha, the end of it will never be heard.

Another little clip from the grandstands

http://youtu.be/ChbT-aqarUc

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 pm

last_resort14 wrote:argh, youtube, y u no embed.

Session 1 http://youtu.be/XOY4wDbBBxU

Session 2 http://youtu.be/-BfLmd4A-Cc

Session 3 http://youtu.be/Xlw5bpplnCI

Session 4 http://youtu.be/8xl1-tCyT-c

outside vid http://youtu.be/2C_g7fTzN60
Great vids. It looks like you are getting smoother with each run. The view from the outside was awesome to watch.
Keep them coming..... :D
98 NB Evolution Orange

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 am

So mean! Very impressive.

Im jelly as.
Toolbox wrote:YOU ARE ONE VERY SICK PUPPY that likes to hide behind a computer. GOODBYE

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm

chris

Post by chris » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 pm

Angreal wrote:
last_resort14 wrote: when it let go it jumped off the bead,
And here I was thinking you'd just let Chris drive the car :lol: (Sorry Chris, couldn't help myself...)
Hahahaha well played ;)

But, the difference is I get the whole wheel off!
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Furai

Post by Furai » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Yeah Chris fails like a Boss.

Wicked videos! Looks like power makes it easy!

I want to see it drift in real life though, are you going to BWARPFEST?
Keen for some Roadster tandems :lol:

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Like you could keep up Kieran :lol:

Furai

Post by Furai » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Kieran wrote:Like you could keep up Kieran :lol:
Yeah he can tandem me, doing a slow burnout with the brakes on :lol:

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Thats some good driving man, very nice

Do you ever have any issues with your power steering overheating?

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

kuroneko wrote:Thats some good driving man, very nice

Dont run power steering. so no, no issues at all :lol:

Yea thinking I might enter that Bwarpfest thing, hanging out to do a hamptons full track day, but the only one I know of coming up is the 10th november which is my brothers wedding.

Skidpan is a bit meh, but its better than nothing, and its only 30 mins up the road, ill just have to see if I will be able to afford some tires by then.

they dont put any water on the pad do they?

Furai

Post by Furai » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 pm

last_resort14 wrote:
kuroneko wrote:Thats some good driving man, very nice

Dont run power steering. so no, no issues at all :lol:

Yea thinking I might enter that Bwarpfest thing, hanging out to do a hamptons full track day, but the only one I know of coming up is the 10th november which is my brothers wedding.

Skidpan is a bit meh, but its better than nothing, and its only 30 mins up the road, ill just have to see if I will be able to afford some tires by then.

they dont put any water on the pad do they?
Last time I went they didnt put water on, Didnt get to go to the latest one.

A set of tyres has lasted me 6 months on the skidpan with at least one day a month. As long as you dont go for longer than 4mins you seem to be fine, then again I might be lucky to have 80PS :lol:

siren676

Post by siren676 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Depends how old the tyres are, i managed to do this to my set after three 4-5min sessions :lol: they were just disintegrating

1990 NA6C MX5

Bwarp
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Bwarp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm

mmmmm supercats.

Great value budget tyre!! :D

13r
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 13r » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Haha, Super Cats are awesome.

Nah, we don't turn the water on.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Yea ive had a few types of tyre fall apart like that too,

ok cool, ill check my roster and then check with the wife to see if ill be free that day.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm

another pic that popped up.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Did some scientific analysis of my tire wear.

Sidewall wear, need to roll my guards more, Am now running 195/50 on the rear, and have adjusted my camber out as much as I can, so have quite a lot of gaurd rub.

A pair of tires, Showing the masssive camber wear I am getting, only really used half the tyres, :roll: And also not getting as much grip as I could be.
I have about 3 degrees rear camber, the least I could get at my last alignment.

So to fix this im going to make myself a pair of extended rear upper control arms, like this

just need to work out how much I need to extend them.

Because of this I will have even more clearance issues at the wheel arch, so will have to do some serious gaurd rolling/pulling.

Also means I will get more grip, which is the main thing im trying to achieve. but obvoiusly I will need more power to overcome this, so the boost will be coming up a little too.

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:04 am

[QUOTE=supercharged-miata;1266171]i was at -3.5 degrees and extended 3/8" and it pulled it out to right around -2. so since your at -5 i would say extend somewhere between 1/2" and 5/8". just my 2 cents[/QUOTE]

Pulled from CR.net

Furai

Post by Furai » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Kieran wrote:
supercharged-miata;1266171 wrote:i was at -3.5 degrees and extended 3/8" and it pulled it out to right around -2. so since your at -5 i would say extend somewhere between 1/2" and 5/8". just my 2 cents

Pulled from CR.net
Americans really need to move to metric.

So if you lose camber are you going to have to pull more or get rid of some offset?

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 pm

still going to run the 15x8 0p. just gonna pull the guards until they fit.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Finally had my motorsport nz paperwork arrive. So now my rollcage is all official and stuff. :lol:

Started to have a quick look at these rear arms and how much I am going to need to extend them.

I unbolted the top arm from the hub, and did the bolt back up just on the edge of the arm, so it sorta gripped on there.

This gave me about 20mm longer.

bolted the wheel back on, and gently lowered it back down to see where this would put the wheel.

This gave me a tad of positive camber.

My lobe bolts are adjusted right in at the moment. so I will pull them out to centre, then have another look. but 20mm might be a fraction too much.

also going to have to really roll the guards. in those photos the wheel is a 15x8+25. and my other wheels are 15x8+0, so will sit 25mm further out than that photo.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”