Chocolate Drifter

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Thank you sir Ive been spending far far far... to much time on miataturbo.net :lol:

Furai
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Is there a point where you can go to much? Or is it rather extreme to get to the point with enough of a drop in pressure to effect performance?

Even though its Turbo 3" sounds pretty extreme for a 1.6.

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:00 pm

depending on the size of the turbo any t25 t28 will be best with 3"

I saw a guy on miataturbo running a 3.5" Downpipe and 4" straight pipe but thats on a HUGE F OFF turbo

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Kieran wrote:Thank you sir Ive been spending far far far... to much time on miataturbo.net :lol:
Man they be hatin superchargers... especially the FFS. I guess if I get proper engine management and keep the boost low I would be allowed to post there without getting chewed up and spat out? :roll: Can't complain though as I got it for somewhat cheap-ish

Mind you I do search their listings for parts very frequently though :D

Ah well, it should be enough power to allow me to drift on the skidpad right...? Unlike lastresort who'll have the full fledged beast

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Angreal wrote:
Kieran wrote:Thank you sir Ive been spending far far far... to much time on miataturbo.net :lol:
Man they be hatin superchargers... especially the FFS. I guess if I get proper engine management and keep the boost low I would be allowed to post there without getting chewed up and spat out? :roll: Can't complain though as I got it for somewhat cheap-ish
well it is miataTURBO.net after all. :lol:
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

SLYDIT wrote:
Angreal wrote:
well it is miataTURBO.net after all. :lol:
Yeah I tend to ignore the last part for convenience sake :wink:

last_resort14
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by last_resort14 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Yea, You're completely right on this Kieran, a full 3 inch system would be great for power.
the turbo has a 2.5 inch outlet, so at the time of building the exhaust I just did a 2.5 inch system. 3 inch would be a bit harder to fit down some of the tight spaces too.
At this stage im not on a hunt for more power, so not looking at changing the whole system, just wanting to get some seat time in the damn thing.

My only concern is having it horrendously loud/sounding like sh*t. I blew up my old muffler once playing with launch control, and ran straight piped for 2 days and it was REAL loud, I dont know if I just thought that because it was a street car at that stage or what, just not wanting it to sound like crap and annoy me/everyone at tracks, haha.

The one muffler I have at the moment you can see straight through the middle of, yet still makes it really quiet. I think ill cut it off, go for a drive and see what it sounds like, and go from there.

Also Angreal, im pretty sure stock power is enough to drift on the skidpan, haha.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am

last_resort14 wrote:Also Angreal, im pretty sure stock power is enough to drift on the skidpan, haha.
Shhh don't tell them that my driving is pretty sub-par :lol: Ah well, my claim to fame is fastest in the wet on the day but that's because I was the only one who didn't spin out on the timed lap (nana style driving except my nana who drives like a p addict trying to get to their next fix... I guess she figures what's the worst that could happen now that she's in her 90s) :roll:

Mr Revhead
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Mr Revhead » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 am

Kieran wrote:Its actually the exact opposite on a turbo motor the less backpressure the better 2.5 or 2.75 will restrict the torque more than the top end hp

basically if the pressure is less after the turbo and higher before the turbo the pressure difference across the turbo creates a vacuum which pulls the air through the turbine faster resulting in faster spool and higher flow

Backpressure on a N/A = Good it creates a scavaging effect

Backpressure on turbo = Bad limits turbine speed
Wee correction here, you are confusing back pressure with exhaust pulse shockwave :wink:

Back pressure is the build up of gas.
The shock wave is the pulse from the combustion process that travels up and down the pipe, that's what gives you your scavenge effect.
I've heard lots of people go on about how you need to have some gas back pressure to work properly, so not true! What you want is the pulse tuned to give the best scavenging when you want it. Hence tuned length headers. The length dictates how long the pulses takes to resonate back to the valve face, which in turn dictates the RPM range you get the best scavenge effect.
It's not gases moving back and forward in the pipe, it's the shock wave moving in those gases that does it.
My gf has a cooler car than me :(

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 am

Mr Revhead wrote:
Kieran wrote:Its actually the exact opposite on a turbo motor the less backpressure the better 2.5 or 2.75 will restrict the torque more than the top end hp

basically if the pressure is less after the turbo and higher before the turbo the pressure difference across the turbo creates a vacuum which pulls the air through the turbine faster resulting in faster spool and higher flow

Backpressure on a N/A = Good it creates a scavaging effect

Backpressure on turbo = Bad limits turbine speed
Wee correction here, you are confusing back pressure with exhaust pulse shockwave :wink:

Back pressure is the build up of gas.
The shock wave is the pulse from the combustion process that travels up and down the pipe, that's what gives you your scavenge effect.
I've heard lots of people go on about how you need to have some gas back pressure to work properly, so not true! What you want is the pulse tuned to give the best scavenging when you want it. Hence tuned length headers. The length dictates how long the pulses takes to resonate back to the valve face, which in turn dictates the RPM range you get the best scavenge effect.
It's not gases moving back and forward in the pipe, it's the shock wave moving in those gases that does it.
Which is why two strokes have a bulb in the exhaust pipe. That's about the only input I can have in this conversation with my knowledge...

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 pm

soo, getting sorta excited/nervous/panicky now.

its only 16 days untill my track day at Taupo, and its coming up real fast. got quite a lot to do in quite a short space of time.

Have decided to leave my exhaust as is for now. Am figuring that I have changed a heck of a lot since I last used the car, and will probably have enough settling in issues as it is without creating more.

Picked up ny new front brake lines today, had some custom made, same as factory but 60mm longer as my existing ones were getting pulled tight at full lock. only cost $60 so not too bad really.

Dropped off all my rims and tires to a mate at a tire shop. got my front tires flipped, 3 pairs of rears flipped, and 4 brand spankers.

Had a Pxt sent back from my mate:
all ready to go, should be plenty for a piddly little roadster :D

have made myself a bit of a prep list for things I have to get ready, not as long as I feared, plus I have the next 7 days of work, so should be ready to go!

Mr Revhead

Post by Mr Revhead » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:32 pm

From past expereince if you are ready in plenty of time and are all organised, you will have problems.
if you are up until 3am the night before putting the engine back in and turn up with 4 hours sleep and still tightening things at scrutineering you will win :P

Good luck! 8)

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 am

Do you mind sharing where you got the brake lines from? That's a great price, I'd like some for when I get knuckles later.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm

kuroneko wrote:Do you mind sharing where you got the brake lines from? That's a great price, I'd like some for when I get knuckles later.
Had them done at BNT automotive, or brake and transmission. dropped the OEM ones off and theyy rang back within 2 hours with the new ones made.

Mr Revhead

Post by Mr Revhead » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Pretty Mich any brake shop can do that as well

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

been busy sorting out everything thats left.

Installed new brake lines, bled system, think ill redo this though cos the pedal feels a bit soft for my liking.

new engine/gearbox oil

drained cooling system and refilled with antifreeze.

got bungs for all the holes in the firewall etc, and patched some holes in the floor.

mounted seats and harnesses for the final time.

started padding the rollcage, just need some longer cable ties to hold the padding on.

also thought I would have another look at the spoiler I made, I finished mounting it properly, but it still looked a little funny, so I thought it might look better if I had a hardtop spoiler.

using the piece of fibreglasss I had cut out for the rear windsreen,I quickly made up a hardtop spoiler, and mounted it on there. I think its a bit big but meh.

Maybe I should stop doing things to the outside of the car, its just starting to look stupid, haha.
I dont really have a direction im going for with the appearance, maybe I need to do some research,lol.

all in all, the car is pretty much ready to go, just a few things to check over before the 6th and then its action time.

13r

Post by 13r » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

That is absolutely awesome (Y)

keep it up mate!

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm

I love everything except that rear spoiler, doesn't do it for me but hell, whatever floats your boat! Can't wait to see how it performs at the drifts.
Cool sunroof bro...

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Flame kit on the exhaust!!! I'm sure it'd be in keeping with the current look 8)

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 pm

It all looks good apart from the rear spoiler (spoils the look) and the hardtop spoiler could be trimmed down a bit.
I have enjoyed watching your progress to date. :D
98 NB Evolution Orange

na6*dori
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by na6*dori » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:09 pm

i like waht the spoiler does, the drag spoilers plume the smoke into a real nice solid cloud when drifting. just need to incorporate something to the front to make it tie in more...
like this?
Attachments
radical1.jpg
In which i trust, a cable ties a must

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Angreal wrote:Flame kit on the exhaust!!! I'm sure it'd be in keeping with the current look 8)
Haha, yea, it is sort of mad-max styled at the moment,lol :twisted:
na6*dori wrote:i like waht the spoiler does, the drag spoilers plume the smoke into a real nice solid cloud when drifting. just need to incorporate something to the front to make it tie in more...
like this?

I didn't know it actually made any difference to be honest,haha :oops: I just put it on there for looks.
At least either of these bits haven't cost me anything.

Definitely agree on doing something like that on the front, was just trying to decide what exactly. That front splitter/lip bit looks pretty good, maybe I'll look into knocking something up like that.

Furai

Post by Furai » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm

I reckon if the spoiler was only up to the second rivet it would look quite good. Ima have to make me a nice ducktail!

Denz

Post by Denz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Damn I love that spoiler if only it was a bit smaller id have one :p

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:12 pm

So the day has finally arrived.

Has felt like ages over the last couple of weeks. Took today off work to get things ready, and time has gone real fast.

Checked my oil/water etc in the tow car, checked it was gonna actually get me down there, haha. also pumped up the tyres on the trailer.

Loaded the MX on to the trailer. much easier being able to drive it on, rather than winch it.

Went down to the local BP for a tank full of 98

Loaded all my spare tires, tools, jack, spare parts etc into the back of the wagon. Ready for an early start tomorrow. planning to leave home at 5:15.

Just sorting out my memory cards and charging up my GoPro camera so I can get some footage tomorrow.

Weather says rain turning to showers, so hopefully get some time on a dry track at some stage.

Will post up how everything went on sunday.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”