Hard Top Installation

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

sister9
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Hard Top Installation

Post by sister9 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:53 pm

I have only just recently bought a 98' mx5. Im starting to understand the obsession! I have aquired a second hand hard top which I will have repainted. It however needs to have the side latches cut out and put in and the top re-set so it sits on the body snuggly. I dont have the skill nor the tools to even attempt doing this! Can anyone tell me who or what sort of company I can take this to to be done in hawkes bay or bay of plenty?

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:00 pm

For my car I ended up drilling out the plastic covering where the side latch plates go and the latch plates hide the uneven cutting. The screw holes for the side latches are already in the cars I believe, just covered hence the drilling.

In terms of resetting the roof, look at the latches and they have a plastic lock that you rotate off and then you just play with how tight or loose the latches are until it all sits nicely.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm

I have an NA and was wondering if the hard top has the same profile as the soft topples around the rear screen area. My soft top rubs a little on the rear braces of my rollbar. Would hate to join the myriad of searchers looking for one before Ross snaps them up to find out it will not fit and retain the window in it a the same time

Return to “MX5 Discussion”