$1300 to spend. Thoughts?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

$1300 to spend. Thoughts?

Post by Mr. Shine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey guys.

I've just come into a $1300 lump sum that I'm happy to drop into my NA6. It's currently unmodified but for front and rear lower arm braces from MX5 Mart, plus a set of brand new NA6 discs to go on it once I figure out what pads are worthwhile (so I'm not /particularly/ interested in NA8 brake upgrades). I've also got a set of semi-hollow factory wheels that will be going on it at some point, after I have them repainted (one is rattle can gold... yuck!)

I've got some thoughts on what the money should go on, but was just wondering what others' suggestions may be. I'm also happy to sit on the $1300 towards (slightly) larger-budget items. So... thoughts? :)

zippy2
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by zippy2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:42 pm

take that nice car on a trip around NZ.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:40 pm

replace suspension bushes

m4vr1k
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by m4vr1k » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Hookers and cocaine!

But seriously, even though you say you arent interested in a brake upgrade, it is well worth the money. New shocks would go a long way as well. A decent stereo setup (including headrest speakers) is a must have, and as sprsta said, new suspension bushes.
Should be able to do that for $1300ish.
Roses are red
Violets are red
Trees are red
Oh fuck, my garden's on fire

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:51 pm

At standard power level on normal road tyres I don't see any need for the bigger brakes - with decent fluid and what were as far as I know OEM Mazda pads I never had any fade or lack of braking power from mine on road or track. Fantastic pedal feel too. Turbo power and/or sticky tyres provide a lot more heat for the brakes to deal with though.

If the suspension feels a bit old/tired then that would probably be where I'd start, new bushes and decent shocks.

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:07 pm

What about spending it on seat time? Track days are a good learning experience especially with a little tuition.

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it's all rather tying in with my thoughts on the matter, which is both helpful and not helpful because I'm a bit indecisive :oops:

Track time is definitely on the cards, and once I have some new pads and some decent fluid I'll be out and away. My brakes are getting close to the end of their lifespan (just starting to get the occasional squeal on the brakes) so I don't really want to go out for a track day until I've got the replacements sorted. The problem of course is finding some decent all-round pads for 1.6 as the oft-recommended Bendix Ultimates don't come in 1.6 size :(

As far as suspension goes I was eyeing up new KYB shocks, which looked to be in the range of $600-odd. The problem is I want the low look so it's looking like adjustable may be more appropriate. Of course though suspension bushes will be in need of replacement, especially with the added strain of adjustable suspension if that comes.

One thing I would like is a decent roll bar/half cage, as with summer coming I like taking the hard top off, but it's an incredible flimsy car without it. I suspect this may be increased because I've removed my soft top, which would have provided some bracing, but either way a decent roll bar would add, I believe, a lot of stiffening to the rear end.

I suppose the problem I'm having is that, being a decent lump sum I could knock out of the way some of the big-ticket items (like adjustable suspension) and pick up something cheaper (like suspension bushes) in the weeks afterwards. It's basically a matter of whether I buy the shiny, pricey thing first or a few smaller things first...

But please, please keep the suggestions coming! I'm more interested in performance-oriented suggestions, as my car doesn't have a stereo (factory blanking plates for a very clean look!) and I'm not overly fussed about the state of my (actually not too shabby interior or exterior :)

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Mr. Shine wrote: Track time is definitely on the cards, and once I have some new pads and some decent fluid I'll be out and away. My brakes are getting close to the end of their lifespan (just starting to get the occasional squeal on the brakes) so I don't really want to go out for a track day until I've got the replacements sorted. The problem of course is finding some decent all-round pads for 1.6 as the oft-recommended Bendix Ultimates don't come in 1.6 size :(
For mostly road with a bit of track use OEM Mazda pads are actually very good, if you only have occasional rather than frequent track use planned I'd just go with those.
Mr. Shine wrote: One thing I would like is a decent roll bar/half cage, as with summer coming I like taking the hard top off, but it's an incredible flimsy car without it. I suspect this may be increased because I've removed my soft top, which would have provided some bracing, but either way a decent roll bar would add, I believe, a lot of stiffening to the rear end.
Forgot to mention that! Makes a massive difference to chassis stiffness (as well as the safety aspect if you manage to tip it over) - I'd do that before new suspension actually.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Hmm how much is a decent set up for those bars?

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Gravelben wrote:For mostly road with a bit of track use OEM Mazda pads are actually very good, if you only have occasional rather than frequent track use planned I'd just go with those.
It's funny you say that, as I thought that might be the case, but calling up John Andrew Mazda/Ford's parts department had them telling me they didn't stock them, didn't really get them into the country and I'd be better off going aftermarket :?
Forgot to mention that! Makes a massive difference to chassis stiffness (as well as the safety aspect if you manage to tip it over) - I'd do that before new suspension actually.
I'm starting to lean towards that... along with ditching the adjustable suspension idea. I think I may be able to squeeze a set of new shocks plus a decent roll bar for my $1300, perhaps?
Skilfil wrote:Hmm how much is a decent set up for those bars?
There's another thread on the first page, below this, titled "Roll-over protection". There are some prices in there, for a full MSNZ-spec there were figures of $950 from memory, but the suggestion was that that was quite a steep price, and you really don't need an MSNZ-spec roll bar unless you... really need an MSNZ-spec roll bar.

aidwano
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by aidwano » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:20 am

If you are keen on Bendix Ultimates I know BNT can put compound on existing backing plates.

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 am

http://www.autowayservices.co.nz/AutowayProducts

Good place for a trackday rollbar. Shows rollbar at $300 + GST but that may have gone upto $350 + due to a bigger diameter material being used.

Just wondering, where abouts are you? If anywhere near Whakatane,BOP I can get your brake fluid change done for you.

SimJen

Post by SimJen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 am

you could always get a roll bar made from NB40 Med. Tube, similar sizing to the Manz approved but considerably cheaper steel! and most engineering shops have the formers for bending.
It won't be Manz approved though, but a lot better than nothing! Material costs me less than $50!
I'm in the process of building one, I work at a Steel Fab shop :)

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Simjen, if you made a few bolt in ones similar to the browns davis design for under $500 I would be keen as mustard and I'm sure one or two others here would be as well. Was talking to Darryl (R3SPCT) about doing something but we'd have to buy a pipe bender to get it underway so you're already a step ahead of us! So long as it clears soft top and hard top (I have a hard top you can borrow for clearance checking if you need to) we'd be happy.
Cool sunroof bro...

thebears
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by thebears » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:23 pm

punkoutnz wrote:Simjen, if you made a few bolt in ones similar to the browns davis design for under $500 I would be keen as mustard and I'm sure one or two others here would be as well. Was talking to Darryl (R3SPCT) about doing something but we'd have to buy a pipe bender to get it underway so you're already a step ahead of us! So long as it clears soft top and hard top (I have a hard top you can borrow for clearance checking if you need to) we'd be happy.
Add me to that list too. Very keen and willing to help out. Also have a hard top for use.

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Im very close to considerning getting a tube bender, kinda depends if the mx5 im looking at comes thru atm, as $$$ need to be spent there 1st.

In saying that, the pipe benders on trademe are cheap, and materials doesnt add up that much. I can tig and mig weld them, but will prob do all tig for looks and safety.

SimJen

Post by SimJen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:41 pm

not sure I can make em for $500 retail or less though, but I'll cost it all out.
I've just drawn it up and should hopefully be starting in the next few days

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:22 pm

r3spct wrote:Im very close to considerning getting a tube bender, kinda depends if the mx5 im looking at comes thru atm, as $$$ need to be spent there 1st.

In saying that, the pipe benders on trademe are cheap, and materials doesnt add up that much. I can tig and mig weld them, but will prob do all tig for looks and safety.
Be careful on buying tube benders- i have been told the hydraulic type ones create ribs when pushing the bend!...ideally you need a mandrel bender or similar to create the proper curve so as to not compromise strength.[& looks]. :D
And dont forget its a waste of time [safety-wise] unless you do a four point with a diagonal brace, either from the drivers head backwards & across to behind the passenger, or better still from the drivers head down to & below the passenger side or both.
This will hopefully stop it from crushing flat on roll-over.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 pm

I was worried about that, was going to get some pipe and try a bend before buying.

There is a company in East Tamaki that does custom tube bending, had thought about just getting them to bend up a few sets if i was going to make one for my car (if i get one :) )

Also was going to do the 4 point, with the 2 small diagonals, aka

http://www.rspeed.net/Miata_Roll_Bar_p/na00572010.htm

SimJen

Post by SimJen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:51 am

mine is all drawn up and ready to go.
Id post a pic but I can't yet as Im a new member!

SimJen

Post by SimJen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:23 am

thebears
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by thebears » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:51 am

SimJen wrote:Image
mighty fine looking!!

SimJen

Post by SimJen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 am

Cheers, still a few things to confirm. Waiting on material at this stage, hopefully this week I will start manufacture :)

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

That looks mint!!
Cool sunroof bro...

zippy2

Post by zippy2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:01 pm

you might like to consider including a harness bar in the design - say
between the back stays - as that would save having to do mounting points for a harness later if you are going to ever use a harness.

like on my bar - see here
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668397/19 ... x-5/page-3

also as your design has a bend in the legs of the main loop I think MSNZ homologation approval could be an issue if you had intended to go that way.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”