Aftermarket Seats

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Aftermarket Seats

Post by Kieran » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Im looking around at different fixed back bucket seats but finding that most don't fit in the car or I don't fit in them and Im not exactly big

So for people having this same problem I thought it might be a good idea for everyone with aftermarket seats to make a list of what seats you have with details, photos, etc

Thanks in advance for the help guys

zippy2
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by zippy2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:24 pm

this has a good guide http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seats.php

I have a momo t frame - it only needed two holes drilled in the standard sliders to bolt onto those.

As the standard sliders have locking on both sides these passed the scrutineer for an authority card.

the t frame has a sprung base so not so hard for the longer drives or over bumps

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:18 pm

i have a set of RECARO SPG copys they fit ok
wouldnt want any wider though
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/garage.php?mo ... 70&MID=689

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:32 pm

+1 on the Momo T-frame, I have one too.

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 pm

SPRSTA and Gravelben, would you mind measuring the widest part of the shoulders of your seats for me?

Could you also confirm the windows, doors and roof (hard and soft) all fit or not...with them installed?

It is hard trying to figure out what will fit and won't without buying something and actually checking....

Appreciate your help!

Mark.

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah I can measure at some stage - I'm 95kg and pretty solid in the shoulders and find it cosy but comfy enough - its only really the getting in and out thats a bit more hassle than a regular seat.

No issue with doors/windows/roof etc, I haven't tried a hard top but don't see why it wouldn't fit.

There is a pretty comprehensive list somewhere on Miata.net of seats that fit.

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:10 am

Cheers, that would be good, you are a similar size to me.

The list on Miata is extensive but many of the seats listed are no longer available or not available here.

Plus the measurements seem quite varied, seats listed have shoulder measurements of 15 inches to 21 inches. How some seats can only be slightly wider than 1 foot (12 inches) seems a bit odd (wrong..?) or bloody little people drive them :shock:

:lol:

zippy2

Post by zippy2 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 am

Mad Kiwi - I would not say I am small - at 95Kg I had a snug fit in my Mono T frame - when in a 2 layer race suit - it was not overly tight or uncomfortable.

you do need to lower yourself into the seat.

as to the shoulder size - I think the measurement can be misleading I have just checked and the narrowest part at the shoulders is 12 inches - however the seat flares out to about 18 inches (inside measurement) and again I have had no issues with it cramping me - or not supporting me either.

I have Momo corse seats in another car (not an MX5) and the back narrowest part is also 12 inches I checked against a door and my shoulders are about 18 inches wide.

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Just had a quick measure up of mine too - outside width of the widest part of the flare out at shoulders is ~520mm, or 510 if you squish the padding down a bit.

The other thing with the T-frame is its a metal frame, so if the sides of the seat base are a bit tight you can use a jack or something to bend them apart to slide in and out more easily. Probably a bit heavier than some of the fibreglass seats but good and solid.

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Thank you, The measurements will help me figure this out.

I have decide to slow down on the seat thing, usually things tend to fall in to place better when not forced.

When I do a couple of track days and meet some other MX5 people(i'll join the club at some stage) I am sure this will all fall in to place and become obvious...

In the meantime i will keep my eyes peeled on Trademe for the T Frame and a mean ass price......

Thanks for your help guys.....much appreciated

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Mad Kiwi wrote: When I do a couple of track days and meet some other MX5 people(i'll join the club at some stage) I am sure this will all fall in to place and become obvious...

In the meantime i will keep my eyes peeled on Trademe for the T Frame and a mean ass price......
:lol:

The sore knees from bracing yourself against the door and drive tunnel on track will help it become obvious quicker! Seriously though you can still have a heap of fun on track even with a standard one, sideways antics happen at friendlier speeds with normal road tyres too.

Think my T-frame cost me $100 or so plus shipping, good scores are out there if you keep your eyes open!

m4vr1k
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by m4vr1k » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Another option is the Foamectomy. I will be doing this sometime in the near future, to see what it is really like. Basically, it involves hacking a bunch of foam out of the back and bottom of the seats. According to the Yanks (who cannot be trusted) it doesn't negatively affect comfort, but helps a lot with holding onto you in the twisty stuff.
When I do it, I will post up a review for everyone to read
Roses are red
Violets are red
Trees are red
Oh fuck, my garden's on fire

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:34 pm

It does help with lateral support, but you lose some lumbar support and it still doesn't hold you like a proper bucket. Better than nothing though, and the backrest is easy enough to slip the piece of foam in and out of if you change your mind. Its only the base which you have to chop the foam, if you take too much out it can feel a bit bony on the old cheeks and isn't as easy to reverse.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”