WARNING - Protect your privacy and safety

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

WARNING - Protect your privacy and safety

Post by poison » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:23 am

As of 1 November 2010, a new law comes into effect which allows third parties access to your name and address details via your vehicle registration plates.

You are able to elect not to have your personal details released however if you do not do this then anyone will be able to look up your rego plate and get the details from the net without paying anything.

Click on the link below to opt out (if you want to).

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transacti ... entry.aspx

Make sure you tick the opt out box (it's easy to miss) and don't forget your boat and Jet Ski Trailers too.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Done. THanks for the heads-up, have passed this on to a few other people too.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:04 pm

I went in an opted out last night as well however today I received the following from a friend that I forwarded the warning to:

About two months ago LTSA advised me of this new scheme and advised that the fee was going to be $500 per quarter!

Anybody seeking registration ownership details under the new regulations will need to have a genuine substantive reason to get the information.

You can relax - your privacy is better protected under the new legislation then the old.

I guess it means that sites like Carjam will still have access to the available info however it will probably cost more to get it.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:59 pm

That sounds right based on the response from another forum I frequent:

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.as ... 32&nmt=Opt out of NZTA releasing your personal details

broomfish

Post by broomfish » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 pm

You tell 2 freinds, and the tell to friends and so on and so on and so on....
A shame that the first person got it wrong.

Here is a quote from the NZTA website with accurate information showing how the new law is PROTECTING your personal info, not makeing it easier for road rage victims to find where you live and slice your soft top while you sleep
Currently, the names and addresses held on the Motor Vehicle Register are publicly available to any person who provides the registration plate number of the vehicle and pays the prescribed fee.

This information is available through NZTA Agents such as NZ Post, VTNZ and the AA or for subscribed users, through the NZTA’s internet service 'Motochek' for those who wish to receive the information in bulk. Once received, there is no restriction on how this information may be used.
Law changes to protect personal information

A new law will come into effect on 1 November 2010 that will better protect your personal information on the Motor Vehicle Register.
The new law will permit the release of personal information for the following purposes:

1) enforcement of the law
2) maintenance of the security of New Zealand
3) collection of charges imposed or authorised by an enactment; and
the administration and development of transport law and policy.

Anyone who wishes to obtain names and addresses held on the Motor Vehicle Register outside of these purposes will have to make an Official Information Act request to the NZTA. The NZTA, when considering an Official Information request for names and addresses held on the Motor Vehicle Register must weigh up the public interest in releasing the information sought against the privacy rights of the person concerned. To assist the NZTA to understand the public interest benefits of releasing the information, applicants may wish (but are not obliged) to advise the NZTA of the purpose for which they are seeking the information,

Alternatively any person may seek a special 'authorisation' from the Secretary for Transport .

As a further protection, if you do not wish your name and address to be released to a person who has been granted an authorisation from the Secretary for Transport you may ask for your details to be withheld. This is called 'opting-out'.

Names of companies or other corporate bodies will continue to be publicly available
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

Return to “MX5 Discussion”