No spark... possibly CAS broken

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Was driving happily yesterday morning, but in the afternoon the car would not start and had to have it trucked home.

Compression, oil pressure, and cranking all fine - a screwdriver to block test shows no spark.

Suggestion given to me is likely cam angle sensor - this is a 1.8L 94 and apparently they go sometimes... any other thoughts? It does have supercharger and an aftermarket/piggyback ECU - been going fine for months but I'll check the wiring too.

Plan to see if I can get it out ok - looks simple enough from notes here:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=49417

Any other help welcomed - does anyone have a spare CAS for a 1.8 sitting around? Otherwise I'll try wreckers - I'm guessing new will be expensive!

cheers
H
(If it was driveable I'd just take it to Autoway...)
(z)

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 pm

the CAS is out easily enough - a bench test doesn't seem to give much of anything on the connectors (looks like hall effect sensors x2) - I'm told they burn out occasionally? Mazda want $925 for a new one ;) I think second hand will be fine...
(z)

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Could also be the coils however it would be unusual if both of them went at the same time. If your coils are the 3 wire variety I have a spare you can borrow. Don't have a spare CAS though unfortunately.

There used to be a company in Nelson that advertised replacement internals for the CAS. I posted the link to their website on here some time ago but don't have it to hand any more. I'll have a hunt and see if I can foind them again.

Edit: Found it http://www.anythingelectronic.co.nz/rep ... ign&menu=1

Alternatively, check with Steve at Milford Auto Electrical, he may be able to suggest something.

Good luck.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by PLSEME » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Yea ive had the same problem on my 93 1.8, had the car parked on the street then moved it into the driveway, then wouldnt start.

Everyone told me the 1.6 & the 1.8 CAS are different but a mate had his 1.6 there & said " :lol: hey it cant hurt to try it can it :?: "
so tryed it & she was away :D

ended up getting one off a wrecker for about $90 :)

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: No spark... possibly CAS broken

Post by zorruno » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:57 am

PLSEME wrote:Everyone told me the 1.6 & the 1.8 CAS are different but a mate had his 1.6 there & said " :lol: hey it cant hurt to try it can it :?: "
so tryed it & she was away
you mean the entire housing is the same? Or just the inner plastic part with the sensors...
(z)

mazline
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by mazline » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am

CAM sensor part Mitsubishi number J825 is what you need,
Not all NA6's have those,most have a J925,completely different.
The housing is different as well.You won't know what a 1600 has until you pull the cover off.
J825's are in a variety of Mazda's ,Familia's,DOHC FE,F8 Capella's ,Proceed's

We are in the process of sourcing these from Taiwan ,Couple of months before we will see them though
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by PLSEME » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Yea i was told the internals were different,
But there is a little difference in the shape when there side by side but it seems to work :shock:

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Hmmm, unfortunately the CAS doesn't seem to be the problem. It took me about an hour to get a second hand one installed.... it is a real pain to seat properly. Lots of Vaseline needed and patience. Was about to remove the rocker cover when finally it fitted.

The engine seems to have the same problem... it looks like it may be lacking power to the aftermarket ECU dammit. I didn't install it so some tracing needed.

Incidentally, most wreckers are useless... I phoned 4.

MAZBITS FOR MAZDA - said they should have one - they'd check and ph me back. Never heard from them again.
Parts Connection Onehunga - said definitely wouldn't have one and wouldn't know who I should talk to.
I phoned one in the yellow pages that said they were all over Auckland... they are based in Rotorua but can send parts. They were going away to look... and never phoned me back.

Mazspare, 747 Rosebank Road, Avondale, Auckland -
PH: 09 828 9001 - spoke to Robbie. Not a problem, he knew the unit and asked the right questions - $89+GST. Had it all ready to go when I arrived. Thanks Mazspare.
http://www.mazspare.co.nz/
(z)

Peter Stevens
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Peter Stevens » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Have you tried Ross at MX5 Mart, He always seem to have what I want for my NA & NB.

[Posted via external email]

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:20 pm

you must have talked to wade at mazbits
he is not very good at getting back to you if you ever want anything from mazbits in a hurry natalie it the one to speak to
wade does do good deals though

Return to “MX5 Discussion”