Greetings! Anyone want to help a clueless American?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

emexfive
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by emexfive » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 am

Hello all! I'm considering a job in Wellington, but I've never been to NZ. One of the considerations was being without my beloved "Miatas". I assume that importing a left hand drive from California would be hard. I'm very pleased to see that there is a community for these cars in NZ. What considerations would a foreigner need to know about? From a little quick searching it seems there are affordable MX-5s to be had. I'd be looking for inexpensive, but well maintained cars. Preferably close to stock or very tasteful mods. Probably an early 1.6 with few options. How is insurance for a foreigner?

The idea of exploring an amazing country like NZ in an MX-5 sounds like an experience of a lifetime. I really hope I can make it work. Any information and/or directions on where to look for answers is greatly appreciated!

PS, Are there any of the 04/05 turbos over there? The Mazdaspeed MX-5 in the states. They were Roadster turbos in Japan, the MX-5 SE in Australia I think.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 am

hi mate :)

Getting a LHD car on the road here would be fairly difficult, probably better to pick up one in NZ (check trademe.co.nz) I'd think. For insurance, it would be helpful to bring a copy of your insurance history with you - I found out the hard way that they wipe off your history at twice the rate of any gap (away for 2.5 yrs, lost 5 yrs of insurance history = back to square 1 !).

The Mazdaspeed turbos were sold here, but in fairly small numbers. On the plus side it's quite do-able to turbo an MX5 here, not having to worry about emissions, inspections :D ... just certification and (optional) insurance.

And of course you can get some fairly outrageous "JDM" vehicles here, if you're into that... ;)

HTH !

emexfive

Post by emexfive » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:00 am

Sweet! Thanks for that link there are plenty to look at! Decent prices it seems from what I'm used to here in Cali.

I'm curious how the insurance will work out. I had two wrecks, in 2003 and 2005. The first was not my fault the second was. Both totals. And I have one speeding ticket on my record from about 2 years ago. Here I still am considered a "good" driver and my rates are on the low side. Perhaps worth an email to an insurer.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:26 am

For insurance, there are a few companies listed here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/garage.php?mo ... e_business

and a bunch of discussions on the topic in this forum if you wanted to do a search.

Re pricing for MX5s...there is just one MX5 for sale here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/adverts.php
but a few for sale over here:
http://www.mx5club.org.nz/forsale/forsale/

cheers
(z)

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 am

Greetings to you in Cal.........

Several of my US clients have ridden in my MX5 and with our roads (South Island in particular) have been most envious of our driving experience.
In part this is because almost all of our roads are 2 lane only...and this brings me to my point. Sitting up high in a left hand drive SUV in NZ would be a pain in the ..... In a left hand drive MX5 it would be no fun at best and dangerous at worst! Vision would be diabolical, and for passing you would almost always need a passenger to call the shots!!!

Not sure you mentioned your age, but under 25 can be expensive insurance wise, esp for performance vehicles.......

If you live near to the Racing Beat factory, I might get you to bring me over some more bits?? Kidding.....

Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

emexfive

Post by emexfive » Thu May 01, 2008 10:17 am

I contacted an insurance company directly to see what that will entail and cost. As far as age, I just turned 37, so hopefully I won't get the "teen" rates! I do worry that the wreck in 05 will hurt me. Are MX-5s much more expensive than say a civic or other basic hatches of similar value? Here they are not much worse.

I figured the LHD in a RHD world would be iffy. I might forget what side to drive on if the car wasn't "reversed"! I'll be fighting 20 years of driving instinct.

And sadly, Racing Beat is at the other end of the state, 12 hours away on major highways. :) I'm up around San Francisco, they are down in Orange County.

Everyone who I mention NZ to who's been there seems to indicate it's a simply amazing place. In general and for driving specifically. I really hope I have the chance to come down there for a while. Not sure what my chances are at getting this job however.

jif

Post by jif » Thu May 01, 2008 10:40 am

Insurance companies aren't that crazy about soft-tops in general, and much prefer you have a hardtop, garage, and alarm , unfortunately.

Your chances of working here are much improved if your skillset is on Immigration NZ's long term skills shortage list
http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Are ... rtage.htm1

Personally I think being an MX5/Miata driver is worth a couple of points !

HTH :]

emexfive

Post by emexfive » Thu May 01, 2008 2:17 pm

I may be able to get a garage, I don't know. Is theft an issue in Wellington? I'd assume not, but that is an assumption.

I checked the list, the job is on there. Not sure if they will take my taste in cars into account, but your right, they should! ;) I'm not so worried about getting the government to approve it, I assume the company can get me in if they choose to hire me.

Is there any reason to get or avoid getting one of the cars originally sold in Japan? There are basically no imported MX-5s in the US. Well, perhaps a few from Canada.

peter
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by peter » Thu May 01, 2008 6:46 pm

theft wasn't a big issue in Wellington until Parliment moved there....

Peter
DRGN1

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu May 01, 2008 8:25 pm

emexfive said on 01/05/08 14:17:
I may be able to get a garage, I don't know. Is theft an issue in
Wellington? I'd assume not, but that is an assumption.
It is a possibility in most NZ cities these days. MX5s aren't really
stolen that often, but joyriders do like them. It is more common just
to have the soft top slashed.

Many houses in central wellington only have street parking, but there
are lots of outlying suburbs with bigger sections and more space if you
are happy to live in suburbia.
I'm not so
worried about getting the government to approve it, I assume the company
can get me in if they choose to hire me.
It is much easier for the company to get you in if your skill is listed
there. They would have to justify why they would be employing you
rather than a 'local'. Skill shortage makes it much easier.
Is there any reason to get or avoid getting one of the cars originally
sold in Japan? There are basically no imported MX-5s in the US. Well,
perhaps a few from Canada.
No reason to avoid. More than half listed here are Eunos Roadsters
(Imported).
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/garage.php?mode=browse

This might help (the little bit about imports)
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=8637

Something like 80-90% of the cars in the NZ club are imports.

cheers
(z)

emexfive

Post by emexfive » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 am

Thanks again for all the helpful info!!!

This is looking more real now. I'm expecting an official offer from the company this week. A year contract starting in September probably. The person I've been talking to at the company says of thousands of foreigners they've hired in the past decade only two where refused visas and those where because of health issue.

I've been looking around online and without seeing the city in person yet I'm thinking the Te Aro /Mt Victoria area of Wellington. I'd prefer a garage, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on rent.

I think having a JDM "Eunos", would be fun.

What expenses will I face with an early 1.6 car? What does the yearly inspection and registration cost? How much is insurance for a foreigner?

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 am

Well looks like it will go well, good luck.

JDM Eunos (although we call them an MX5) you are looking at anything from $3500 to $8000 (All in NZ$)
Insurance for a foreigner… haha same as for a kiwi, bring an insurance history from your insurer and it will be much easier. Maybe because a first year on our roads could be up to maybe $800
Annual Inspections called WOF (Warrant of Fitness) twice a year at $50 each time
Should you require repairs, I would say labour would be about $80-100/hr

Best place to find cars…. Or at least get a price indicator.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... ype=Search

You can add about $1000 (or more) if you buy off a car dealer rather than a private sale. A car dealer does give you ‘some’ financial protection over monies owing on a car, as in NZ the new owner can be liable for any outstanding finance on the car, dealers have protection against this. Although this risk is minimised with a couple of car check sites for about $30 (money well spent).
https://www.vir.co.nz/?gclid=CO3X__jWs5QCFRSA1QodvDY7Tg

If you want all the real detail about what you need to know when buying a car, check here
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/cons ... -vehicles/

Also useful to know….
You may see things that mention GST, this is a Goods and Services Tax of 12.5%, which is on almost everything but not excludes second hand goods. It is almost always included in the retail price unless stated (check the bottom of some web sites).
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Return to “MX5 Discussion”