Coolant Leak - in one of those - hard to reach places

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

biff
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by biff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi all,
I have a coolant leak, I have found it and do my best to describe where it is.
There is a housing in front and just below the cam cover, I presume this is the thermostat housing, as you look at it there is a rubber hose coming from the right hand side that runs down the front of the block to a metal elbow that then runs into the block.
About 20mm from the top of the lower connection there is now a hole, in the metal fitting not the hose.
Two questions, does anyone know if there is supposed to be a hole, (has a screw fallen out?) can’t see why there would be, but you never know.
Next, how to fix it, obviously it’s not the easiest place to get to, and if its replace the elbow, then can anyone help with size, part number etc, and is it a zillion dollars from Mazda?
This is my daily driver, so I need to get onto it asap :)
Cheers, and thanks,
Biff
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Coolant Leak - in one of those "hard to reach places&qu

Post by poison » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Oh no Biff, possibly bad news I’m sorry to say. It sounds like a water pump leak, mine started to leak and sounds just the same. The water pump is cheap as chips (don’t buy the Mazda one, buy the unbranded from the same factory). The problem is that it’s behind the cam belt L so suddenly the cost is going up as we speak. This is the only reason I did my cam belt. So fingers crossed I’m wrong. Good luck.

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

biff

Post by biff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 pm

The leak is from the elbow joint, the metal one into the block, I can see it firing out like a water pistol. The metal elbow joint is down in the front of the block.
So I guess I need to replace this 90 degree metal elbow
Biff
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:25 pm

this is very common. Its usually the top fitting that fails (the "t" piece into the thermostat housing.)
you can get the elbows from mazda, i think they are a very tight press fit. You may be able to get it fixed by having a 1/8" thread threaded into the housing and use a hose barb.

Also check your other steel pipe that comes from the heater hoses along the block into the back of the water pump. The seal into the water pump is just an o ring and it has been known to fail and is easily replaced.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:08 pm

A pic is worth a 1000 words... here is when it happened to mine. (although this crappy pic is probably only worth 50 or so...)

This shows the pipe - disconnected.

I did a temporary repair (6 months or more from memory...) by breaking off the elbow at the bend and just putting the hose on with a hose clamp. Happened at Taupo track a few years ago.

I got Don (Autoway Services in Hamilton) to fix it when it was there one day.

As Slydit said I think the elbow is replaceable with minimal work. Seems to be quite a common issue.
Attachments
CIMG0025.jpg
Thermostat housing coolant pipe leak
(z)

biff

Post by biff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:02 pm

If it’s a “press” fit, is it a case of pulling it out with something like vice grips, and tapping the new one in with a hammer, or a major pull half the engine bay apart job?
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

biff

Post by biff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:05 pm

That’s the one! Mine has a hole in the side, past the 90 degree elbow bend towards the block.
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

MX5PWR
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MX5PWR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi Biff, I had the same problem a few years ago when on the Snowball run. Bought a tube of Steel Kneedit from service station and put it around the pipe. Worked a treat, no more leaks. Did eventually get the pipe replaced by Don at Autoways in Hamilton.

[Posted via external email]

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:26 pm

The hole in mine was right on outside of the bend - it had corroded through.

Is there enough tube left for a temporary connection with a hose clamp? It will at least get you moving again.

Hopefully your engine bay looks nicer than mine in that photo?!

(PS - please don't forget to trim your posts when sending from email Biff ... It has been edited by a moderator....)
(z)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”