Head refurbished, broke the thermostat (was Bugger...)

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Bluesgeek
Tentative sideways sliding....

Head refurbished, broke the thermostat (was Bugger...)

Post by Bluesgeek » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:51 pm

ok, finally got round to having the head refurbished and the guys couldn't find anything major wrong with the rebuild I did - valve seats needed a bit more polish and they changed the guide seals again. So I put it together again today after a visit to repco (I was in a hurry) for a thermostat and gasket. They gave me the ones for a 1600. I never really checked, keen to get the 5 on the road. Tightening down the housing I hear a sickening snap, yes the housing had cracked :( the gasket was oversize, including the internal bore, which meant the thermostat was sitting slightly proud of its usual position, as I tightened the housing it caught the side of the thermostat, not noticing as I tightened it up :(

So the good news is, John Andrew can get them, the bad news is they are ex-Japan, 14 days minimum :( I repaired the old one temporarily with plastic metal, which meant I could crank the engine. Started first time with no smoke so far. I'll have another shot at repairing it over the weekend, I can't wait ANOTHER day to have my 5 back on the road!

(Moderator edited subject - Please use sensible subject lines!)

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Head rebuild

Post by GEEMCB » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Damn - comiserations.

With the head refurb, what did you tackle yourself & which bits did you get others to do ? What prompted the work in the first place ?

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Bluesgeek

Re: Head rebuild

Post by Bluesgeek » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:50 am

GEEMCB wrote:Damn - comiserations.

With the head refurb, what did you tackle yourself & which bits did you get others to do ? What prompted the work in the first place ?

Regards,
It started to smoke when warm :( I'm hoping it was the valve guide seals and not piston rings, I refurbished the head myself the first time, changed the guide seals and cleaned up the valves and reseated them. It lasted 3 or 4 days before it started smoking again. Changing those seals is a complete PITA so I got an engineering company to do it this time. They've fitted slightly smaller seals than last time and they think that one of the seals may have popped off (they've roughed up the area where they seat so hopefully the new ones will stay seated).

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:09 pm

just been out and put 100 Km on it and so far no smoke and the thermostat housing is holding together :) If the smoking's cured I'll be very happy!

Greenracer5
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by Greenracer5 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:18 pm

So you'll be taking it out for a shakedown on the next club run?? C'mon matey...you know you want to :wink:

Gr5
Take it out and play with it.

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/britracinggreen

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:13 pm

Definitely if I trust it completely by then - failing that we can come for a run in the wife's NC :wink:

Greenracer5

Post by Greenracer5 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:34 am

Excellent! It'd be good to catch up with you guys. It's been waaaaay too long.

G
Take it out and play with it.

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/britracinggreen

Return to “MX5 Discussion”