Removing door panel

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

R LTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Removing door panel

Post by R LTD » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:04 pm

I've identified a rattle in the passsenger door and need to remove the panel to investigate. The rattle apears to be low down towards the opening section.
Once removing the door grab are there any particular techniques involved to ensure the panel is removed without damaging the panel? Appreciate advice and guidance.

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Removing door panel

Post by GEEMCB » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Easy - remove door pull / handle, unscrew the single screw holding the cup behind the door opener, ease the cup off (helps to hold the opener open while you do this).

Wrap the blade of a large screwdriver in a few layers of cloth & lever the door panel off. It's held on by a series of clips around the two vertical edges & along the bottom - locate each clip by pulling gently with your fingers then lever the panel off using the screwdriver as close as possible to each clip. Inserting the blade between the metal of the door frame & the rear of the panel should be easy.

Also note that there are a few extra clips in from the edge of the panel. From memory they're behind the speakers. You should be able to slip your hand in behind the panel & pop them off.

Once the panel is unclipped lift gently & the panel will come clear.

While you're in there be careful to avoid
1) damaging the clear plastic rain shield,
2) getting the black gunge that holds it in place over the rest of the car

I've found that a pair of old gloves is very handy. Peel a corner of the plastic back from the door (being careful not to tear it). Then use a long sharp blade to cut the strings of black gunge that form as you pull more of the sheet back.

Also - get some white lithium grease (aerosol can is best) & lubricate the slides for your windows. Takes a nanosecond & potentially saves later repairs to the mechanism. Try to avoid lubricating the window iteslf - the grease does come off relatively easily but just saves effort if you don't spray the glass.

Panel reinstallation is a simple reversal - press the plastic sheet back onto the black gunge, hang the panel over the window opening & push each clip back - a gentle thump with the heel of your hand should do it. Make sure there's no black gunge on your hands when you do this - remember the gloves.

Hope this helps ....

Regards
Greg
1990 V Special

R LTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Removing door panel

Post by R LTD » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. Apart from the window sliders are there any other areas that should be lubricated once the plastic shield is off?
----- Original Message -----
To: mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz (mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz)
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 9:46 PM
Subject: [MX5] Re: Removing door panel

Easy - remove door pull / handle, unscrew the single screw holding the cup behind the door opener, ease the cup off (helps to hold the opener open while you do this).

Wrap the blade of a large screwdriver in a few layers of cloth & lever the door panel off. It's held on by a series of clips around the two vertical edges & along the bottom - locate each clip by pulling gently with your fingers then lever the panel off using the screwdriver as close as possible to each clip. Inserting the blade between the metal of the door frame & the rear of the panel should be easy.

Also note that there are a few extra clips in from the edge of the panel. From memory they're behind the speakers. You should be able to slip your hand in behind the panel & pop them off.

Once the panel is unclipped lift gently & the panel will come clear.

While you're in there be careful to avoid
1) damaging the clear plastic rain shield,
2) getting the black gunge that holds it in place over the rest of the car

I've found that a pair of old gloves is very handy. Peel a corner of the plastic back from the door (being careful not to tear it). Then use a long sharp blade to cut the strings of black gunge that form as you pull more of the sheet back.

Also - get some white lithium grease (aerosol can is best) & lubricate the slides for your windows. Takes a nanosecond & potentially saves later repairs to the mechanism. Try to avoid lubricating the window iteslf - the grease does come off relatively easily but just saves effort if you don't spray the glass.

Panel reinstallation is a simple reversal - press the plastic sheet back onto the black gunge, hang the panel over the window opening & push each clip back - a gentle thump with the heel of your hand should do it. Make sure there's no black gunge on your hands when you do this - remember the gloves.

Hope this helps ....

Regards

Greg
1990 V Special

---------------------------------------------
Sent from an mx5forum.co.nz topic here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?p=11983#11983
---------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.3/374 - Release Date: 23/06/06
[Posted via External Email]

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:14 pm

Not that I'm aware of - perhaps the pivot points in the lock mechanism - not sure. The window seems to be the biggie.

Regards
Greg
1990 V Special

Return to “MX5 Discussion”