Introduction-Just bought a MX5

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

jax
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by jax » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself as a new MX5 owner :D . This is Jax here from Auckland. I just bought a 92' BRG V spec MX5 on Sunday morning from Tauranga (Yes, drove all the way from AKL to look at it on Saturday Dawn, then drive it back to AKL at noon time 8) ).

There are quite a few things I need to do to it:
-Soft Top- Getting old, need some stiching and glueing
-Oil Change/ Manual Gear oil change- Previous owner had it for 10 yrs & she said the last time she get it serviced was 2001 :? !!
-Suspension (spring) -Too soft.

In order not to trouble all you guys, I had spend about 3 hours reading all the old forum' msgs dated back as far as Jan 1st, try to find out as much info as possible.

1)Please suggest a place I can go to, which are good in taking care of MX5, for the right oil filter changed etc--I can only see a member suggesting Don at Autoway Hamilton (How abt AKL?)

2)Suggestion for the right spring? Not for the look but purely good handling for everyday driving- dont want it to be too 'bouncy' since lowering hard spring tend to hav this problem. Please suggestion a place I shall go to.

3)The car dont have a front top strut brace, how much difference does it made :?: Must I have one or better invest money for a good suspension?

Any suggestion is welcome. Thank guys! :D

And I am so thrilled to be an owner of a legendary MX5-FINALLY!

Regards,
Jax

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi there and welcome to mx5'ing.

new springs should really be used with new shocks to get the best result. you cant go wrong with the classic KONI shock, KING springs combo.
if your car has the stock shocks then chances are that they wont be up to the task of controlling stiffer springs.
other common mx5 suspension offerings are EIBACH springs and KYB agx shocks.

Dont bother yourself with a front strutt brace just yet, the mx5 has wishbone front end which is much less susceptible to the tower flex that a mcpherson strutt car has. Instead make sure to get the rear subframe brace and front lower subframe brace instead...OH and a style bar will help too.the front top brace is the last one you should get.
Don at Autoways in Hamilton will be able to advise on all these matters and even though its south of the bombays its a good excuse to take the back roads.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:13 pm

try City Garage or Rotary Power (glenfield) for servicing.

congrats!

[Posted via External Email]

jax
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Thanks SLYDIT

Post by jax » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 pm

Had made an appointment to see Don next week, hopefully the weather will be fine, cheers. :D

Return to “MX5 Discussion”