Fitting after market wing mirors

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Fitting after market wing mirors

Post by GEEMCB » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:20 pm

Well that'll teach me to buy without checking the inside of the door properly ...

I bought a nice pair of wing mirrors recently to augment the slightly retro look my car has. They fit by bolting on from inside the door. I had assumed that (based on previous not very careful observation when lubricating window slides) that I would be able to fit them quite easily.

Alas & alack - :( turns out that, as far as I can tell, it's impossible to get to the inside of the exterior door panel where the wing mirrors fit. :oops:

The door inner is hemmed on, plus there's all the window bits, plus there's a strip of steel that runs along high up on the inside of the outer panel. This latter strip completely obstructs any access to insert bolts through to the mirrors.

As a (maybe) temporary measure I've taken the new mirrors off their nice streamlined base, taken the OEM mirrors off their base & mounted the new mirrors on the OEM bases. Works OK & looks OK, as the OEM bases are also chromed. Still - would be nice to be able to fit the new mirrors as originally designed.

Any good ideas out there ?

Regards
Greg
1990 V Special

Return to “MX5 Discussion”